Infant ticket query

Old Jan 19, 11, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Infant ticket query

Hi all - we have a bit of a situation and wondered if there are any options to help us save considerable amounts of money!!

Currrently my wife (Australian) and I (British) are living in London. We are expecting our first baby later this year and my wife will be flying back to Australia to give birth - she will be flying in business and the quote we have been given is AUD$5098.

This is where it gets complicated - on the way back to England we will naturally need a ticket for our one month old baby. Qantas policy is that the ticket will cost 10% of the adult fare. We have been told that as the baby will only be flying one way the adult fare they will use is a one way ticket not the return ticket my wife has. This comes out as AUD$10,400 and hence the baby's ticket will cost AUD$1040.

It seems a little steep that we have to pay 10% of an inflated one-way ticket as opposed to my wife's ticket - do the experienced and wise travellers have any advice on any loop-holes / ways of saving money?

Little bit of a random situation but hopefully you can help

Thanks

Mr and Mrs Ppunce
Old Jan 19, 11, 4:19 pm

Programs: JAL JGC Diamond, Qantas FF WP, OW Emerald, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum
As far as I know you don't need a ticket for the infant. I've contacted Qantas for an not yet born infant and was told that since the infant won't be occupying a seat it won't need a ticket. I just need to pay the necessary taxes for the baby. Not sure where the 10% came from for you. You should only need to ring up Qantas once the baby is born as the name has to match the passport so it can only be done after the baby is born.
Old Jan 19, 11, 5:03 pm

Programs: a3G qf(nb) va
Comet21, is your flight domestic?

Our experience is that tickets (at 10%) are required by Qantas internationally.

OP, sorry no help on your problem.
Old Jan 19, 11, 5:39 pm

Programs: JAL JGC Diamond, Qantas FF WP, OW Emerald, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by status level flint View Post
Comet21, is your flight domestic?

Our experience is that tickets (at 10%) are required by Qantas internationally.

OP, sorry no help on your problem.
Mine's MEL <-> LAX
Old Jan 19, 11, 8:42 pm

If you have QANTAS FF points, use them. Infants are free on redemptions using QFF points. This doesn't apply to other Oneworld programs, e.g. AAdvantage.

10% of fare cost is correct for a lap infant, flying internationally on a paid fare:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...ants/global/en
https://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn...TktGuide#jump2
Old Jan 19, 11, 9:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
If it is any consolation, the infant fare is 10% of the "applicable adult fare" which excludes all the deeply discounted fares such as you want to book for your wife. So even if the infant was flying round-trip and not one-way, the 10% fare will be closer to AUD 2000 than to AUD 600 in your example. The only way around this is to buy a Y fare instead, then 10% will be about AUD 250 instead of 1000.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: