Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Old Jan 15, 11, 3:05 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
Yip it has been now for a while running as NZ119/118

AKL-SYD
NZ119 Saturday/Sunday 12:45-14.15
NZ119 Thursday/Friday/Monday 13:00-14:30

SYD-AKL
NZ118 Saturday/Sunday 15.30-20.30
NZ118 Thursday/Friday/Monday 15:45-8:45
Thanks for this Caveman, i had no idea they had reintroduced the 772 to SYD!
Old Jan 15, 11, 3:48 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I'll believe it when I see it, ORD was 2 days from first flight when the route was cancelled and QF had signs/counters/staff and even a gate signed at ORD. MIA had a QANTAS sign in Terminal A for a decade despite never operating there (not even a codeshare to that terminal). QF has a long history of announcing routes and preparing for them that never actually operate (both in US and Europe). I've heard that SYD-DFW will operate with no freight -- how they solve the range problem, even for an ER. AKL-DFW could operate with a full load, but SYD-DFW cannot. On hot days in Dallas (half of the year ) DFW-BNE will have to make a refueling stop by my calculations (most likely DFW-NAN-BNE-SYD).
Old Jan 15, 11, 10:54 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Anyone want to make a bet on the DFW service eventually becoming LAX-DFW-LAX as a way to use a plane that would otherwise be sitting around for 12 hrs or so? Same model as LAX-JFK-LAX.
Old Jan 15, 11, 11:05 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Wouldn't it have made more sense then to make it SYD-SFO-DFW?
Old Jan 15, 11, 11:16 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
My prediction is this will be the first route moved to 3 class A380. This is a teaser to get anti trust immunity for greater QF and AA cooperation. This will let AA and QF feed traffic into Europe without paying silly taxes out of LHR. Also DFW is used for some S America flights. What I don't get however is the timing, this flight could operate much earlier out of DFW for the return to BNE. I however as a frequent east coast PAX see no benefit in these flights. Still much better to fly via LAX for return, I guess QF is counting on this initially that most PAX will fly SYD-DFW // LAX-SYD. Hope the ER are getting sky bed mark II before these flights take off.
Old Jan 16, 11, 12:33 am

Programs: QFF
system error

Last edited by Himeno; Jan 16, 11 at 10:31 am
Old Jan 16, 11, 12:42 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by og View Post
Anyone want to make a bet on the DFW service eventually becoming LAX-DFW-LAX as a way to use a plane that would otherwise be sitting around for 12 hrs or so? Same model as LAX-JFK-LAX.
Like they were going to do with ORD?

Originally Posted by doctorjosh View Post
Wouldn't it have made more sense then to make it SYD-SFO-DFW?
Maybe.

The QF73/74 744 sits at SFO for 13.5 hours (from scheduled arrival to scheduled departure). AAs SFO-DFW flights (738, 757 and M80) take between 3h15 and 3h30. DFW-SFO is 3h50 to 4h.
That would allow for minimum 1.5 hours in SFO each way and 2.5 hours in DFW.

Maybe
QF73
SYD 1410
SFO 0835 1005
DFW 1435
QF74
DFW 1805
SFO 2005 2135
SYD 0710+2

Though I'd rather they restart the SYD-SFO-YVR.
How about keeping QF73/74 and running QF11/12 or QF93/94 though LAX to DFW?

Originally Posted by nonce View Post
What I don't get however is the timing, this flight could operate much earlier out of DFW for the return to BNE.
QF7 13:25 Sydney 13:50 Dallas Fort Worth
QF8 22:00 Dallas Fort Worth 05:00+2 Brisbane 08:05 Sydney
If the flight left too early from DFW, it would start running into the SYD curfew, even with the 90 stop in BNE.
Old Jan 16, 11, 9:38 am

This is really bad news

Using QF through LAX is such a pain compared to SFO (think: immigration queues, so many terminal changes, the famously-overcrowded lounges etc).

Not to mention I am (or, I suppose, was) booked SYD-SFO about 2 weeks after the flights are going to end: an important part of the reason for choosing QF for the trans-Pac flights was being able to go only one stop to SFO from ADL. Now it's 2 stops, one through LAX - not happy jan!
Old Jan 16, 11, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelaide_Matthew View Post
This is really bad news

Using QF through LAX is such a pain compared to SFO (think: immigration queues, so many terminal changes, the famously-overcrowded lounges etc).

Not to mention I am (or, I suppose, was) booked SYD-SFO about 2 weeks after the flights are going to end: an important part of the reason for choosing QF for the trans-Pac flights was being able to go only one stop to SFO from ADL. Now it's 2 stops, one through LAX - not happy jan!
You may possibly be able to cancel without penalty with the flight being cancelled and rebook on another carrier
Old Jan 16, 11, 3:01 pm

Programs: QF WP LTS, HHonors Diamond, VA NP
Originally Posted by Swooop12 View Post
Correct. The AA thread mentioned some possibility of the QF site not showing the award availability correctly yet but it's definitely there via AA (calling) or BA (online).
Has anyone been able to confirm this is genuine inventory? I received an email from EF Friday night notifying me that this was now available - and it's been appearing in EF all weekend, but the QF Award site still doesn't recognise it.

BD
Old Jan 16, 11, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Spouse of BA Gold
Originally Posted by BD1959 View Post
Has anyone been able to confirm this is genuine inventory? I received an email from EF Friday night notifying me that this was now available - and it's been appearing in EF all weekend, but the QF Award site still doesn't recognise it.

BD
A couple of days ago just after the announcement, I checked a date in November on EF and it showed U9. I called up the AA EXP desk and got two seats ticketed in about 15 minutes, but had to have the agent check a few different times because it didn't immediately show up in the system. Just afterwards I checked EF again and it showed U0! So I can confirm that there is legitimate award inventory, but it seems a little unstable.
Old Jan 16, 11, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BD1959 View Post

BD
The QF award site will only show availability that QF is making available to QF members at the status level which you hold. This is not necessarily the same as that which exists in the U bucket ( which is of no issue ime for AA to access )
Old Jan 16, 11, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
E/F is showing U class availability on many flights but as a Qantas Platinum late last week I could not book these online.

Now they are available for 128K SYD/DFW e/w,

Last edited by serfty; Jan 16, 11 at 4:52 pm
Old Jan 16, 11, 4:56 pm

Programs: QF WP LTS, HHonors Diamond, VA NP
OK, mystery sort-of solved.

Called the QFFCC - the inventory is loaded in the QF Online System only up to a certain date but was available in her system for the date I required (she confirmed this was not available online).

HOWEVER, the "taxes" are still not loaded into QF's system. She tried to book against that which is available online (in order to get a figure) but that, too, does not yet have the taxes available. I've a tentative booking but have to call back in 24hrs to finalise by paying the taxes.

I'm just hoping my tentative booking doesn't disappear into the ether in the meantime.

BD
Old Jan 16, 11, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Adelaide_Matthew View Post
Not to mention I am (or, I suppose, was) booked SYD-SFO about 2 weeks after the flights are going to end
You're not alone. I start in Brisbane, though, and hoping they'll reroute me from there on the nonstop to LAX, even at the cost of missing lunch in the Qantas F lounge, as I really don't want to go to DFW. I'm going to make the time to call on Monday and sort it out as the booking has not changed so far.

Search this Thread