Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:01 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Swooop12
If you ever wanted to redeem an award btw Australia and the US, now is the time to do it. I see tons of availability!
you mean lots of WHY with a few J seats SYD-LAX and some WHY and no J LAX-SYD?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by og
you mean lots of WHY with a few J seats SYD-LAX and some WHY and no J LAX-SYD?
I think the poster meant via DFW. I also noticed lots of availability in pretty much all cabins (both directions).
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I think the poster meant via DFW. I also noticed lots of availability in pretty much all cabins (both directions).
Correct. The AA thread mentioned some possibility of the QF site not showing the award availability correctly yet but it's definitely there via AA (calling) or BA (online).
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:37 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK - I can see that too. I never thought I'd see so many different coloured icons on a calendar for USA flights!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
A shame QF are pulling out of SFO. I would only expect fares on UA for the SYD-SFO sector to increase now, as there's less competition. Fares to SFO were already a bit more expensive compared to LAX but the slight difference was worth it just to avoid LAX. Anyway, I'm relieved I didn't book my flights to SFO in May with QF.
As for DFW, QF are offering a good sale for flights there until November. Return economy fares are AUD998 and premium economy is AUD2598 I think.
But why is the return flight from DFW going through BNE???
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:54 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doctorjosh
The plane would be running on fumes for the last part if it went DFW-SYD.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by og
The plane would be running on fumes for the last part if it went DFW-SYD.
Surely they can just glide the plane into SYD...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:05 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely they can just glide the plane into SYD...
And it could even operate during curfew hours (2300 - 0600) for the northern 16R approach!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Toula
IFE is pathetic, selection to watch is lame and food can only be described as adequate. Guess I should thank qantas for making it easier for me to decide to look elsewhere.
Whats wrong with the IFE selection? This is something I am always looking forward to when stepping onto a QF plane. Same goes for food.

Originally Posted by Vunder31
Not every TT flight is affected by the changes.

Five daily flights AKL-SYD-AKL:
2x A320 (no business)
2x B767 (good business class with recliner chair)
1x B772 (great business class)
Did NZ introduce the 772 to the AKL-SYD route again? I thought they changed this a while ago. That would be great news.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
West-bound are generally "further" than East-bound flights due to headwinds. eg, Qantas shows the LAX-SYD flights as taking an hour longer than LAX-SYD.

Given the distance of DFW-SYD, the potential for headwinds, and the fact that the last.. ohh.. 7000+ miles of the flight is over-water with limited diversions possible they have taken the safer route and made it DFW-BNE-SYD. There's a number of other routing like this around the world, such as IAD-JNB on South African, which is non-stop into JNB, but stops in Dakar on the way back for fuel.

In the reverse direction it's going to be interesting to see how frequently they need to make a fuel stop along the way, and where they do it given the great-circle route for SYD-DFW has most of the end of the flight going over Mexico. Given that SYD-LAX-DFW is only about 150 miles further than going direct, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the route close to LAX to give them the option to land there if they do need a top-up.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Whats wrong with the IFE selection? This is something I am always looking forward to when stepping onto a QF plane. Same goes for food.

Did NZ introduce the 772 to the AKL-SYD route again? I thought they changed this a while ago. That would be great news.
Yip it has been now for a while running as NZ119/118

AKL-SYD
NZ119 Saturday/Sunday 12:45-14.15
NZ119 Thursday/Friday/Monday 13:00-14:30

SYD-AKL
NZ118 Saturday/Sunday 15.30-20.30
NZ118 Thursday/Friday/Monday 15:45-8:45
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:55 pm

Opens up some additional options for 1 (1.5?) stop Europe runs, albeit with the formalities to enter the US for a few hours. Mightn't be too bad for a few extra SCs, though.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; QF 1P; DJ WP; CX DIA, EK GL, HH DIAMOND; PC Spire RA; SPG PLAT; HERTZ PC; Avis CC
QF can actually proactively protect you, despite it being on AA metal. Whether they do or not is another matter.
This normally happens during irregular ops.

In the past 10 years I was WP QF was unable (or unwilling) to VDB passengers from a AA flights to make room.

UA has done this often. That said QF has done this a few time for me flying back from Europe.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Just got the email from Qantas. ^ to the poster 2-3 days ago that said this was coming.

to SFO withdrawal. I feel for the SFO QF travellers, but I guess it does make business sense for DFW. Eg. things like SYD-PVR would be 1 stop; it certainly opens up Mexico and the (US) south.

Last edited by seanp7; Jan 15, 2011 at 11:53 am
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chandi
This normally happens during irregular ops.

In the past 10 years I was WP QF was unable (or unwilling) to VDB passengers from a AA flights to make room.

UA has done this often. That said QF has done this a few time for me flying back from Europe.
They may not be able to VDB people, but they can place you upon other AA services or routings with applicable availability. They cannot however make availability appear through the use of VDB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.