Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Old Aug 1, 11, 2:53 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by nonce View Post
DFW know and understand what an APEC card is, this lets you use the crew/ diplomat line. I was off the plane and through immigration and customs in 10 minutes and over in Terminal A in 30 minutes from landing, with a brief (and pointless stop at the transfer information desk).

The APEC card is well worth the investment for those who are eligible, I am frequently out of SYD airport within 10 minutes of deplaning as well even in peak periods. Sadly WLG no longer funds the APEC line and prohibits APEC card holders from using the crew line, and along with MIA these are the only airports I have found (out of SIN, NRT, DPS, LAX, SFO, DFW, AKL, SYD, MEL, MIA, WLG) that dont understand/ care about the card. See http://www.businessmobility.org/key/abtc.html
Australia has significantly tightened the criteria for new APEC cards. Only very senior executives with responsibility over several MM $ in APEC area investment/trade will get one. the main reason was that other countries have complained as 80% or so cards were issued by Australia.
Old Aug 1, 11, 5:44 am

Programs: Qantas Plat/LTG
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
I flew QF8 on Saturday night; impressive Takeoff roll I clocked at 45 seconds. The 15:50 flight is very long.

The lounge had similar catering to that described by TrojanHorse; I was told it was beef brisket (pulled/shredded) and similar with chicken. Along with this went a pasta salad. This food was OK.

Interestingly, I overheard the QF Station manager asking the cooks to get him a taste of the food, obviously there have been complaints.

Good beer selection, short wine choice. There was a shelf along the back of the bar/servery with a lot of empty liquor bottles. If you wanted anything other than wine/beer/soda a trip to the A/C was necessary.
Did QF8 in mid July. If u want other than wine/beer/soda, just ask the staff for the drink u want, they go in the back, return with the liquor and ice, you add your mixer if needed. The bottles are their way of saying whats on offer...

Long flight, my son and I used points to upgrade, flew home in 3E/F, very nice.
Old Dec 2, 11, 11:51 am

Programs: QFF
One question about the lounges - does anyone know if I can use a one-time pass? And if so, would it work only for the qantas affiliate lounge, or the AC as well? I got one with my silver status this year that I haven't used yet.
Old Dec 2, 11, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
The pass would not work for the AC (You can buy a daypass for US$50). I am not sure about the lounge Qantas have contracted, but I doubt it.
Old Dec 3, 11, 11:55 am

Programs: QFF
Ah well, I'll give it a shot, worst case they just say no.

Also, thanks for the advice earlier re: seat allocation - I just picked up seat 38A for the flight :-)
Old Dec 5, 11, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by jonathankk View Post
Ah well, I'll give it a shot, worst case they just say no.

Also, thanks for the advice earlier re: seat allocation - I just picked up seat 38A for the flight :-)
For me personally, it would be worth the $50 to have AC access at DFW. While food and drink offerings pale in comparison to Qantas clubs, I think it would be worth it to grab a shower and freshen before that long flight. Terminals A & D have my favorite clubs, with an edge to terminal D because of the wall of windows- feels more open to me, plus you'd be close(r) to your departure gate in D.
Old Dec 5, 11, 7:17 pm

Programs: QF WP LTS, HHonors Diamond, VA NP
Originally Posted by bayoubabsy View Post
For me personally, it would be worth the $50 to have AC access at DFW. While food and drink offerings pale in comparison to Qantas clubs, I think it would be worth it to grab a shower and freshen before that long flight. Terminals A & D have my favorite clubs, with an edge to terminal D because of the wall of windows- feels more open to me, plus you'd be close(r) to your departure gate in D.
The Lounge QF uses at DFW have shower suites available. They're in the corridor area between the Lounges in the complex. Check availability with the "Complex Dragon" as opposed to the "Lounge Dragon"!! There's an area to the left as you enter the QF Lounge where you can store cabin baggage whilst showering - though the shower suites are quite large, if you wanted to take baggage in (certainly larger than the shower cubicles in the HKG J Lounge).