Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lee78
So not sure Qantas really care, but goodbye Qantas and OneWorld and I guess begrudgingly hello to Star Alliance.
If you are flying business class, I suspect that you will be quite happy with flying on United since it's business product is better , Id say, than the QF 747 business class

If flying economy, at least you can get economy plus for a low price to get legroom until you have done a cpl of trips to get status

Flying to DFW for QF, would def seem to be a better option for onward connections if wanting to connect onwards onto AA

Dave
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:46 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you are flying business class, I suspect that you will be quite happy with flying on United since it's business product is better , Id say, than the QF 747 business class
UA between SYD and SFO is fully horizontal bed - what can be better? Oh yes, some will argue food. But I prefer good sleep... That's why I pay premium for business class - for good sleep, not for food/booze...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:07 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by vbroucek
UA between SYD and SFO is fully horizontal bed - what can be better? Oh yes, some will argue food. But I prefer good sleep... That's why I pay premium for business class - for good sleep, not for food/booze...
UA has perfectly adequate food and drinks and can provide plenty of both. They also have hot nuts in a bowl instead of a messy foil packet. Its a small touch but nice with drinks and makes the soft product quite pleasant.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; QF 1P; DJ WP; CX DIA, EK GL, HH DIAMOND; PC Spire RA; SPG PLAT; HERTZ PC; Avis CC
Originally Posted by tom911
You might want to review this UA thread before leaping:
More SYD/MEL related delays/cancellation [Merged Threads]

I take the transpac evey two weeks either with QF or UA. Here are my observations:
  • Customs and Immigration in LAX is awful. AS a non citizen in some cases (more than 3 times a year) it has taken me 2-3 hours in the queue to clear customs/immigration.
  • DFW is not much better. In my limited experience (around 6 times) DFW customs are also very slow.
  • Atleast 3-4 times a year I have had a situation where the flight in LAX/SFO have arrived (hour plus) late. Most of the time this has been a QF flight (40%-60%).
  • The benefit of flying UA was that UA managed to pro-actively protect me (as a UA1K) on the onward legs even on sold out flights. As a QF WP, even if they really wanted to, QF could not protect me on the onward AA flights. For me wasting a day in LAX is considerably more inconvenient than spending 14 hours on ANY other carrier. As a rule I would pay more, for less comfort if the carrier promised and the ability to get me to the destination on-time (or close to time as possible). After all that is why I fly.

I do not think my travel patters with change too much as I always tend to fly UA from Australia to the US mainly expecting delays. But I can see a few flights going to UA that would have gone to QF in the past.

Last edited by chandi; Jan 14, 2011 at 3:10 am Reason: what a typo
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:29 am

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru
For my money, SYD-AKL-SFO on Air New Zealand (booked via a Virgin Atlantic code share, natch) is looking the most attractive of the bunch. No LAX, no United, and transfer through the Koru Lounge in AKL.

Just avoid the trans-Tasman aircraft with the "yes, Y with no middle seat is totally worth J prices" nonsense and it'll be a pleasant trip.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:31 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by chandi
For me wasting a day in LAX is considerably more incontinent than spending 14 hours on ANY other carrier.
It would give me the sh*ts too!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:06 am

Programs: Qantas WP
Great

So what happens to my Syd - SFO (on points) in June connecting to a first class SFO- LAX - SEA mileage run Qantas ????

And the same in reverse........
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:11 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by durham70
Great

So what happens to my Syd - SFO (on points) in June connecting to a first class SFO- LAX - SEA mileage run Qantas ????

And the same in reverse........
You'll get rebooked as SYD-LAX-SFO. How long did you have to connect in SFO (I assume separate ticket with same day connection)?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:16 am

Programs: Qantas WP
Yes, same day

On QF73 arrive SFO at 9.10

Depart on AA1923 at 1210.....

And I assume they will release seats even if no award availability to SFO via LAX ??
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Vunder31
Not every TT flight is affected by the changes.

Five daily flights AKL-SYD-AKL:
2x A320 (no business)
2x B767 (good business class with recliner chair)
1x B772 (great business class)
Try living in MEL!

It's not the Business seats, it's the basic removal of 34"/34" Space+ in economy.

2 x A320 [Space+ gone]
1 x Widebody (varies) - generally useless (for me) morning flights.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:12 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by durham70
Yes, same day

On QF73 arrive SFO at 9.10

Depart on AA1923 at 1210.....

And I assume they will release seats even if no award availability to SFO via LAX ??
Sure, it is an involuntary reroute so QF will buy a seat from AA or UA etc. Be sure to phone QF to update your PNR to add your connection info as an information segment. You might even get sector credit for LAX-SFO in F
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chandi
The benefit of flying UA was that UA managed to pro-actively protect me (as a UA1K) on the onward legs even on sold out flights. As a QF WP, even if they really wanted to, QF could not protect me on the onward AA flights. For me wasting a day in LAX is considerably more inconvenient than spending 14 hours on ANY other carrier. As a rule I would pay more, for less comfort if the carrier promised and the ability to get me to the destination on-time (or close to time as possible). After all that is why I fly.
QF can actually proactively protect you, despite it being on AA metal. Whether they do or not is another matter.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:56 pm

Unhappy

As a regular United traveller between SFO - SYD, this move can only increase the United economy fares back to their over inflated prices 5 years ago. Qantas provided good competition for the SFO - SYD route and kept prices somewhat reasonable.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by serfty
Try living in MEL!

It's not the Business seats, it's the basic removal of 34"/34" Space+ in economy.

2 x A320 [Space+ gone]
1 x Widebody (varies) - generally useless (for me) morning flights.
Space+ is returning the A320 over the next few months, everything infront of the wing will be a 35-33".
This zone, currently with 18seats primarily at 32" pitch, will now increase to 21seats at 34-35" seat pitch and 18 seats are 33" seat pitch. The total number of seats on the A320 will decrease from 171 to 168 to allow for this change. Non-premium seats will remain at the standard 30" seat pitch - which as been the case since the A320 was introduced
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:44 pm

If you ever wanted to redeem an award btw Australia and the US, now is the time to do it. I see tons of availability!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.