Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Just wanted to check if you need to get off the plane when stopped at BNE if continuing to SYD?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by redslert
Just wanted to check if you need to get off the plane when stopped at BNE if continuing to SYD?
yes you do. you go through transit security only (not immigration or baggage collection).
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: QFF
I'd much rather make my connection to CBR or MEL in BNE then in SYD.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
I'd much rather make my connection to CBR or MEL in BNE then in SYD.
Even if you were going to Syd it would almost be better to disembark in BNE and complete customs and immigration there rather than Sydney. plus the bonus you can take cheap USA duty free (rather than losing it with the LAG restrictions when continuing on the QF8 to sYD)
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:02 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Aspen
With another QF8 requiring a fuel stop in NOU,
So how often do they need to stop in NOU?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
yes you do. you go through transit security only (not immigration or baggage collection).
Does that mean I shouldn't buy and carry on duty free from DFW as it will be taken away at BNE?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles
2nd stop in the whole duration of QFA8 so far.

Yesterday's (Sat. in the US/Northern Hemisphere) flight is going via Auckland.

Fine it's going via Auckland but I HOPE QF MOVED ALL THE SYD FINAL DESTINATION PASSENGERS TO THE NON-STOP JetConnect 73W AKL-SYD flight and the A332 (wide-body SHOULD be able to ACCOMODATE THE PASSENGERS RIGHT!?) AKL-SYD.

PRE PREMIUM PASSENGERS IN THE LEFTOVER SEATS ON THE NON-STOP AKL-SYD flights.

I can't believe the flight is going DFW-AKL-BNE-SYD when it can SIMPLY go DFW-AKL-SYD. I know I know there are connecting pax via BNE. SO WHAT THEY CAN ALL BE ACCOMODATED RIGHT ON THE AKL-BNE/SYD/MEL/What have you JetConnect/QF AKL operation flights [here].

Flying AKL-BNE-SYD is just retarded.

This is similar to the Noumea diversion landing @ 0500. There is a regularly scheduled QF non-stop @ 11am going Noumea-Sydney. Since the flight has to make the contractual obligation I WOULD BE HOPING all SYD passengers would be moved to the regular operated NOU-SYD flight.

The timing is great, the diversions all land @ 0400-0600 if there is a diversion coming from DFW and/or EZE (VERY rare) QF needs to be proactive and moving their passengers whose final destination is SYD (most) onto the JetConnect/Mainline flights of CHC/AKL-SYD (EZE) and AKL/NOU-SYD.

Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:06 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by willzzz88
I don't understand why you are shouting at us (or QF for that matter).
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:07 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by willzzz88

Yesterday's (Sat. in the US/Northern Hemisphere) flight is going via Auckland.

Fine it's going via Auckland but I HOPE QF MOVED ALL THE SYD FINAL DESTINATION PASSENGERS TO THE NON-STOP JetConnect 73W AKL-SYD flight and the A332 (wide-body SHOULD be able to ACCOMODATE THE PASSENGERS RIGHT!?) AKL-SYD.

PRE PREMIUM PASSENGERS IN THE LEFTOVER SEATS ON THE NON-STOP AKL-SYD flights.

I can't believe the flight is going DFW-AKL-BNE-SYD when it can SIMPLY go DFW-AKL-SYD. I know I know there are connecting pax via BNE. SO WHAT THEY CAN ALL BE ACCOMODATED RIGHT ON THE AKL-BNE/SYD/MEL/What have you JetConnect/QF AKL operation flights [here].

Flying AKL-BNE-SYD is just retarded.

This is similar to the Noumea diversion landing @ 0500. There is a regularly scheduled QF non-stop @ 11am going Noumea-Sydney. Since the flight has to make the contractual obligation I WOULD BE HOPING all SYD passengers would be moved to the regular operated NOU-SYD flight.

The timing is great, the diversions all land @ 0400-0600 if there is a diversion coming from DFW and/or EZE (VERY rare) QF needs to be proactive and moving their passengers whose final destination is SYD (most) onto the JetConnect/Mainline flights of CHC/AKL-SYD (EZE) and AKL/NOU-SYD.
You're assuming the AKL-BNE flight has space for some of the DFW passengers. It is the start of school holidays in NZ so there are unlikely to be empty seats available.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: QF WP + PG
Originally Posted by Aspen
With another QF8 requiring a fuel stop in NOU, why not drop the BNE and permanently make the tech stop in the Pacific (as late as possible to avoid middle of the night disturbance - which has been explained for rejecting HNL as a tech stop) saving some time for all concerned?

Questions:
1. How much destination traffic is terminating in BNE?
2. Does a new crew fly the aeroplane BNE-SYD?
3. Would the BNE O&D traffic be covered sufficiently by QF15/16 ?

Benefits: Less time on board DFW-SYD, no payload restrictions and perhaps only one crew would be required DFW-SYD.
I was on this flight last night and although the official reason from the Captain was headwinds (we were told upfront, prior to departure ^), given total flight times on DFW-NOU was 13:10 and NOU-BNE was 2:00, combined it's not close to the longest flight time on this route so far and includes an additional takeoff and landing.

From my understanding, the reason for the diversion was due to the J and W cabins being oversold and far too many pax onboard (basically at capacity as opposed to the restricted payload we have been hearing about). At check-in, the passenger next to me was downgraded from J to W (but in a sky bed) and W pax were downgraded to Y in the W seats.

The actual refuel process in NOU was managed very well. It was 1hr16m from wheels down to wheels up. My biggest complaint was that breakfast (at least in the A zone) was served at 1:30am BNE time to allow enough time prior to the NOU descent. Stuffed the body clock around a bit but it's the crew I felt most for because it shortened crew rest etc.

To answer your questions though, roughly 150 pax seemed to be at the BNE baggage carosuel. Most were either MEL, ADL or PER connections and I pity the poor guy going to Karratha.

A new crew operate BNE -SYD usually as the end of the QF7-8 rotation which has been either an 8 or 9 day trip for crews recently. The biggest issue with NOU diversions (and why QF could never do AKL -way too out of the way!) is that the flight deck go out of hours at 20hrs which we were close to last night. A couple of stuff ups with fueling and we were staying in NOU.

All of QF's LAX flights were basically full last night so I guess not in peak conditions.

All in all, reasonably well managed by QF considering. But if this is a change in managements position to oversell/sell each cabin to capacity, then they will need to be careful with reputations.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littl_flier

The actual refuel process in NOU was managed very well. It was 1hr16m from wheels down to wheels up. My biggest complaint was that breakfast (at least in the A zone) was served at 1:30am BNE time to allow enough time prior to the NOU descent. Stuffed the body clock around a bit but it's the crew I felt most for because it shortened crew rest etc.

thanks for the update. just out of interest, did you get a meal on the nou-bne sector? if they didn't serve another meal, why would they wake you prior to arrival into nou for brekky when they could have served that on the nou-bne sector?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1k *G, AA Plat, Marriott Silver
More examples of why QF continue's to self implode as a company internationally.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1MM
Why AKL last night for QF8?

Does anyone know why AKL was chosen for Saturday night's QF8 divert? I'm guessing the risk of crew time-out at Noumea was probably the reason, but it's complete speculation on my part.

Does anyone have any definitive information? I can't seem to find anything on the other forums I've read.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
thanks for the update. just out of interest, did you get a meal on the nou-bne sector? if they didn't serve another meal, why would they wake you prior to arrival into nou for brekky when they could have served that on the nou-bne sector?
No, there was no additional meal served on the NOU-BNE sector, at least not in Business. Champagne/OJ/Water were passed around but that was about it. I guess there wouldn't have been enough time to do the full breakfast service on the NOU-BNE hop, but it was unfortunate to have the breakfast served so early. BNE-SYD did have a light breakfast served, although that ultimately left 3 or 4 hours late due to damage to a cargo door.

littl_flier - What seat were you in? I was row 26. As mentioned before, I was originally in 4A and 4K but lost those seat assignments -- when I got to BNE, I found out that my seat assignments for the return flight were also lost (had 4E and 4F) so now my wife and I are in 3A and 27 something. Not the best situation but hopefully we'll find someone willing to swap with us. I verified the seat assignments myself on the Qantas website before leaving so I am a little miffed that they got taken away.

Last edited by River in Sight; Jul 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by redslert
Does that mean I shouldn't buy and carry on duty free from DFW as it will be taken away at BNE?
Also would be taken off you on a AKL Tech stop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.