Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

90 minutes from dialing to hanging up to book 2 tickets.

Old Jan 8, 11, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Initially I dialled QF and as the person answered, after a 30 minute wait, I drove through a dip and lost the signal. Not one to be put off by a lack of cell phone reception in rural South Africa I called back. This is where the fun begins.

I called QF and after 40 minutes a lady answered. I then proceeded to book a Circle Trip Explorer ticket, I was booking 2 tickets for my partner and I. The QF agent had to go back and forth to fare's to keep checking the rules and to get a final fare quote for the taxes. In total the 2nd conversation took 90 minutes.

I spent 2 hours on the line to Qantas - be it a person or their automated music. The lady said it is taking so long because of the floods in Queensland as they are phoning pax to re-book them. They have only managed to phone into early next week with a massive number of calls still to be made.

So I spent 90 minutes from dialing to hanging up to book. She also mentioned that earlier in the day the wait time was stretching closer to 60 mins for somebody to answer.
Old Jan 8, 11, 1:49 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
You got a result.
Old Jan 8, 11, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Are you saying 90 minutes is good or bad?

For such a complex ticket 90 minutes doesn't seem crazy. I am surprised you even got something in that time as I would have expected them to call you back a few days later after they had checked things more carefully.
Old Jan 8, 11, 2:16 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
It has taken me about 2 hrs to arrange xONEx and xCIRCxx tickets - both paper and e-tickets with CX BKK staff. They check the rules very carefully. Your 90 minutes is not surprising ( assuming you are suggesting 90 min is a long time ).
Old Jan 8, 11, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wasn't sure whether 90 mins was sposed to be being suggested as a long time

I have made bookings with AA for such tickets and had the itinerary made quite quickly but do then need to wait 24-48 hours for it to be assessed and taxes calculated before being able to pay for it.

For the whole itinerary , including paying for it, that does seem like a not too unreasonable time ( unless it was a trivially simple itinerary )
Old Jan 8, 11, 8:44 pm

Programs: QF WP
The 30 min wait isn't good, and I guess it's not exactly normal, but getting through a complicated in that time is pretty good.

For much simpler matters, it would be much quicker. A couple of months ago, a last min ticket was purchased (from SIN) within 5 mins on the phone, including wait time.
Old Jan 9, 11, 1:28 am
Original Poster

It was not a complaint about a long wait time or applauding QF for a quick call - simply a statement that it took 90 minutes.

However the 30-40 minute wait time before a person answered was frustrating.

The lady went to fares, got all the taxes and surcharges and gave me a total ticket price during the call.

I gave my credit card details and everything. However she said their JNB office will be calling me monday to confirm the credit card payment, I found it strange because I gave her my details over the phone and told her QF can take payment right away.
Old Jan 9, 11, 1:56 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by 747-444 View Post

I spent 2 hours on the line to Qantas - be it a person or their automated music. The lady said it is taking so long because of the floods in Queensland as they are phoning pax to re-book them. They have only managed to phone into early next week with a massive number of calls still to be made.

So I spent 90 minutes from dialing to hanging up to book. She also mentioned that earlier in the day the wait time was stretching closer to 60 mins for somebody to answer.
Mate I used to live in Theodore. Be happy you got a result.
Old Jan 9, 11, 2:00 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I gave my credit card details and everything. However she said their JNB office will be calling me monday to confirm the credit card payment, I found it strange because I gave her my details over the phone and told her QF can take payment right away.
Thats good! Just try and make an award booking from Asia to Oz over the QF web site and see what they want you to do (ie show your CC to QF in the origin city within 2 days of the booking - hard to do if you are not in that city!! ).
Old Jan 9, 11, 2:02 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
...I gave my credit card details and everything. However she said their JNB office will be calling me monday to confirm the credit card payment, I found it strange because I gave her my details over the phone and told her QF can take payment right away.
This depends upon your credit card issuer. JNB is flagged as a high-fraud area for electronic transactions so your bank may require this transaction to be done in person and not allow it on the phone from there (while it is allowed in other countries). Very common. Bet you'll need to visit the JNB office before the ticket is issued, and if not then will need to present the physical CC at the airport during check-in for validation. Be sure to use a card that is in your posession there
Old Jan 9, 11, 2:11 am

If it is a circle trip starting from ZA and wanting to get the ZA price, then will need to get the ticket issued there in South Africa , so seems reasonable that it is passed to the ZA office
Old Jan 9, 11, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Aussie issued credit card and the ticket is priced in ZAR.
Old Jan 9, 11, 11:29 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
QF has some interesting credit card rules for different places. Hence the clause for bookings ex China etc that you need to present the physical card at a QF office before the ticket can be issued.
Old Jan 9, 11, 4:27 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The time taken to book XDONEX is precisely the reason that I do the ground work using the OW tool, save it as a pdf, then send to AMEX to book for me. Obviously this only works better for TAs, but I guess having the sectors and ticket validated would make the call quicker.
Old Jan 9, 11, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
The time taken to book XDONEX is precisely the reason that I do the ground work using the OW tool, save it as a pdf, then send to AMEX to book for me. Obviously this only works better for TAs, but I guess having the sectors and ticket validated would make the call quicker.
If booking an xONEx, why not just use the OW booking tool to issue the ticket too rather than paying AMEX to do it?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: