Degustation menu

Old Dec 26, 10, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Degustation menu

I'm flying on BA7371 on NYE which is a code share on Qantas. I've heard of the degustation menu option - sounds like a good way to while away the first leg SYD-SIN. And to see in the new year on my lonesome :-(. Is degustation also available on the second leg, SIN-LHR? Reason I ask is that I enjoy eating in the Sydney F lounge so much I usually fall asleep straight after takeoff.

James
Old Dec 26, 10, 5:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I'm flying on BA7371 on NYE which is a code share on Qantas. I've heard of the degustation menu option - sounds like a good way to while away the first leg SYD-SIN. And to see in the new year on my lonesome :-(. Is degustation also available on the second leg, SIN-LHR? Reason I ask is that I enjoy eating in the Sydney F lounge so much I usually fall asleep straight after takeoff.
Only available out of SYD and MEL, so eat up, and sleep out of SIN.

Dave
Old Dec 27, 10, 3:14 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Indeed, they have something called 'supper' available SIN-LHR which is just fine, and a full 3 courses, but a little more restricted in choice than the degustation or standard dinner SYD/MEL-SIN.

F lounge menu in SYD sounds good!
Old Dec 27, 10, 3:20 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by tuapekastar View Post
...F lounge menu in SYD sounds good!
...if you aren't flying F; otherwise the onboard degustation meal is considerably better quality than the F lounge dining (unless something goes very wrong in the galley).
Old Dec 27, 10, 4:18 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The degustation menu, fine wines and view over the Oz outback beats any IFE - working or not. Make sure you have a window seat !
Old Dec 27, 10, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
well since you brought it up i just moved myself from allocated 3F to 3K but there are A seats still available... any advice re which side is better?
Old Dec 27, 10, 10:08 am

Programs: QF Plat, GC Diamond
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
...if you aren't flying F; otherwise the onboard degustation meal is considerably better quality than the F lounge dining (unless something goes very wrong in the galley).
Huh? I have always found the food to be better in the lounge - rather than onboard.

Oh, you're flying out of SYD Almost all of my flights are out of MEL
Old Dec 27, 10, 2:54 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well since you brought it up i just moved myself from allocated 3F to 3K but there are A seats still available... any advice re which side is better?
I'd prefer the right side since the left side will be looking into the setting sun. Row 4 seats on the 744 are too far from the window to get a good downward look.
Old Dec 27, 10, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og View Post
I'd prefer the right side since the left side will be looking into the setting sun. Row 4 seats on the 744 are too far from the window to get a good downward look.
My thoughts too about the sun, but it's an A380.
Old Dec 29, 10, 6:16 am

Programs: QFF: WP
I'm flying on BA7371 on NYE which is a code share on Qantas. I've heard of the degustation menu option - sounds like a good way to while away the first leg SYD-SIN. And to see in the new year on my lonesome :-(.
James
That was my NYE plan, but am attending a wedding on NYE, instead flying 1 Jan. Booked in J but hoping my upgrade request to F goes through . If so, I plan on eating & drinking til i drop, F Lounge then degustation up in the air.

Enjoy your NYE James!
Old Dec 29, 10, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Timba-Jet View Post

Enjoy your NYE James!
Oh I will thank you. And because I have switched from BA to QF, have Iris and have already bought my HEx ticket, the first and hopefully only contact with a Pom that I will have will be the cabbie at Paddington. But you just know what he will say: You're Australian... Ashes...blah blah! Fortunately cabbies are about the only English left in London so the rest of the weekend should be cricket jibe free!

James
Old Jan 7, 11, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Update - it really was good!

But after a chicken schnitzel in the lounge, and overdoing the crab cake blinis on board - they came around with a tray of extras - I could not get through all 8 courses. Had to skip dessert.

The crew was great. I like the relaxed greeting: "Hi James, I'm Tim, and my colleagues Sam and Jo will also be serving you"*. All through the flight it was James, never Sir or Mr S. Very different to the BA style of service (and I was technically on BA7371).

James

*names have been changed
Old Jan 7, 11, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by Princi View Post
Huh? I have always found the food to be better in the lounge - rather than onboard.
I have never eaten the F menu on board but I have been very impressed with the menus and food at the F lounge at Mascot.
Old Jan 9, 11, 7:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
The crew was great. I like the relaxed greeting: "Hi James, I'm Tim, and my colleagues Sam and Jo will also be serving you"*. All through the flight it was James, never Sir or Mr S. Very different to the BA style of service (and I was technically on BA7371).
Hmm - not sure I would appreciate that - my friends call me by my first name and not people I have just met...
Old Jan 9, 11, 9:55 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simongr View Post
Hmm - not sure I would appreciate that - my friends call me by my first name and not people I have just met...
+1 Its not a DJ flight afterall. I feel a little awkward when DJ FAs greet me by first name after squinting at the BP. Seems very shallow especially when they don't introduce themselves. I much prefer the QF FAs who ask me how I would prefer to be addressed (ie Mr xxxxxx or by firstname).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: