Wiki Posts
Search

Early Morning in CBR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Early Morning in CBR

To those of you who fly out of CBR more often than I do, what are my chances of getting out on time if I am on the first flight of the day to SYD. This will be in late-June. Obviously you can't guarantee anything but your experience and advice is appreciated.

ETA - I've got an award flight booked in J on OZ out of SYD at 0910, so the real question is should I take QF1460 or DJ625 or fly out the night before.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:56 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
In theory you'll make it with either QF or DJ, but on separate tickets, IMHO, the risk is too great. Go the night before.

OT: Having experienced a mechanical on a AC DH3 where the string (or more correctly cord) that counter balances the door with integral steps broke and caused the door to come crashing to the ground, I realise how unpredictable delays can be. This came on top of an engine problem that had to be fixed and certified correct with miles of paperwork. And it wasn't a question of jumping off the aircraft and onto another - we were held captive on board while the captain worked through the (lack of) options and then said we were not going anywhere. By that time, everyone had missed their connections and we discovered how bad AC ground support is. And that was on a same ticket connection.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:05 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
You're cutting it very fine with only 2 hours between flights, and you need to change terminals, check in, clear customs and immigration. To me, it would be no question, I would fly up the night before.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Definitely go the night before. In winter in Canberra fog is a regular risk, although it doesn't usually stop the first flights out.

An alternative to flying is the Murrays bus - see http://www.murrays.com.au/ - some of the Canberra - Sydney services stop at the International terminal at SYD and you can sometimes pick up an advance ticket on the internet for $15. Journey time to Sydney is 3.25 hours, which doesn't compare badly with flying once you've checked in etc. I've just come back from Sydney CBD on the Murrays bus, and (for the cost) I was very happy with it.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:15 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
CBR is currently my home airport so I'll put in my 2 cents worth. The first plane of the day will usually have over nighted at CBR so fog isn't an issue. There is the odd mechanical issue but in four years of taking early flights it has only happened to me once.

Still I wasn't connecting to an international flight.

m0hamed has got it right, too little time, too many things to go wrong. Get there the night before and enjoy your sleep rather than worry if you'll make a very tight connection.

The Murray's coach idea is a good one and I too have used them with great success. Went from a Murray's coach to first class on the QF A380.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by Hvr
CBR is currently my home airport so I'll put in my 2 cents worth. The first plane of the day will usually have over nighted at CBR so fog isn't an issue. There is the odd mechanical issue but in four years of taking early flights it has only happened to me once.

Still I wasn't connecting to an international flight.

m0hamed has got it right, too little time, too many things to go wrong. Get there the night before and enjoy your sleep rather than worry if you'll make a very tight connection.

The Murray's coach idea is a good one and I too have used them with great success. Went from a Murray's coach to first class on the QF A380.
Thanks everyone. I think you guys are right that the risk isn't worth it so I'll plan to head up the night before and keep my eyes peeled for a decent hotel rate.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
I'll plan to head up the night before and keep my eyes peeled for a decent hotel rate.
If it's the start of a holiday, splash and go for an indecent hotel rate!!

BD
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: QF LTSG; Accor, Starwood, IHG
I had a 1000 departure from Sydney in August on QF63 to Johannesburg and decided to play it safe and fly from Canberra the evening before. It makes for a much more relaxing start to the journey when you don't have to worry about a possible missed connection.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:32 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Just FYI, if changing carriers and alliances, or relying on international award travel, I always overnight the night before. E.g. We're heading to Thailand soon flying out on JQ, back on VA and internally with PG. I wouldn't risk flying USM-HKT on PG, and then connecting onto VA. I would rather fly the day before to HKT, overnight, then return on VA. It reduces any possible risk of missing the international sector, not to mention an awful lot of stress.

Of course, if it was a Oneworld Explorer fare, I wouldn't be concerned as the airlines would generally get you on the next flight.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: QF Plat (OWE), VA Plat, HH DMD, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Hvr
Agreed.

I am on QF560 (the 6:45am CBR-SYD which is the first jet service) more than I would like.

In all my years catching this service I have never been delayed by fog. I never catch QF1460 as I prefer the jets, but I can't recall that ever being delayed either (it's usually boarding when I arrive). Generally speaking if the plane is starting its day in CBR then it'll be fine - and this includes most flights departing before 8am.

Last edited by Ewing; Dec 13, 2010 at 10:00 pm
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: QC Silver/OW Ruby
Fog

The only other thing that very rarely goes wrong is if there is fog the night before from around 7 at night, which prevents the aircraft operating the next day's services from landing. Very rare though but happened to me once.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:43 am

I'm at CBR today and QF1460 is cancelled. Not sure why.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: QC Silver/OW Ruby
Cancellations

Originally Posted by HighlandPark
I'm at CBR today and QF1460 is cancelled. Not sure why.
This is not that uncommon on a low load day - they will cancel the first Dash in each direction and consolidate on to the immediately following 737 service.

Canberra is somewhat unusual in that most people have headed home yesterday or the day before - courtesy of the public service close down. I've had 14 people I personally know going to the airport in the last couple of days.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:21 pm

The early flight to Brisbane was pretty full. But there aren't as many flights to Brisbane as to Sydney.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.