FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Virgin Blue offers free Velocity Gold status match for Qantas frequent flyers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1145809-virgin-blue-offers-free-velocity-gold-status-match-qantas-frequent-flyers.html)

djsflynn Nov 8, 2010 10:10 pm

Virgin Blue offers free Velocity Gold status match for Qantas frequent flyers

Oh yes, this is a good one. I love status match deals - we don't see enough of them in Australia - but Virgin Blue is giving free Velocity Gold status to any Qantas Platinum or Gold member.

It's valid for a whole year and means you get access to their top lounges around the world (in the Virgin group as well as with partners such Etihad and Delta), priority check-in lanes and some extra baggage allowance.

The deal is on for November only - full details at http://tinyurl.com/3any87y.

m0hamed Nov 8, 2010 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by djsflynn (Post 15102590)
Oh yes, this is a good one. I love status match deals - we don't see enough of them in Australia - but Virgin Blue is giving free Velocity Gold status to any Qantas Platinum or Gold member.

It's valid for a whole year and means you get access to their top lounges around the world (in the Virgin group as well as with partners such Etihad and Delta), priority check-in lanes and some extra baggage allowance.

The deal is on for November only - full details at http://tinyurl.com/3any87y.

Interesting they match WP and SG to Gold.

VH-RMD Nov 8, 2010 10:41 pm

yes, got mine yesterday.

Rang last week (did not know about the offer) but was asked to provide the information mentioned in the article - four days later DJ Gold valid until end January 2012.

djsflynn Nov 8, 2010 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 15102723)
Interesting they match WP and SG to Gold.

Well, gold is their top tier on Velocity Rewards, so they're skimming just the cream from Qantas! :)

m0hamed Nov 8, 2010 10:55 pm

Unsure that the offer is limited to Nov. On AFF others have reported getting status matches for quite a while. It makes good business sense for them to continue doing this. Personally, I'll hold off until they have a real dom J product and then consider it.

djsflynn Nov 8, 2010 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 15102784)
Unsure that the offer is limited to Nov. On AFF others have reported getting status matches for quite a while. It makes good business sense for them to continue doing this. Personally, I'll hold off until they have a real dom J product and then consider it.

I called them and the lass said only for November... I'll grab one while I can, ahead of their late-Q1 domestic biz push.

m0hamed Nov 8, 2010 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by djsflynn (Post 15102792)
I called them and the lass said only for November... I'll grab one while I can, ahead of their late-Q1 domestic biz push.

Most airlines status match. Frankly in DJ's position it wouldn't make business sense for them to stop this post November.

djsflynn Nov 8, 2010 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 15102830)
Frankly in DJ's position it wouldn't make business sense for them to stop this post November.

Absolutely agreed! And even if they did close it on Nov 30 for some reason, they should open it back up again ahead of their domestic biz push. But, we shall see....

DownUnderFlyer Nov 9, 2010 1:16 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn (Post 15102842)
Absolutely agreed! And even if they did close it on Nov 30 for some reason, they should open it back up again ahead of their domestic biz push. But, we shall see....

They might handle this like QF/DJ etc. handle their sales: The periods between sales is less than the times a sale is on.

orac Nov 9, 2010 1:46 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD (Post 15102734)
yes, got mine yesterday.

Rang last week (did not know about the offer) but was asked to provide the information mentioned in the article - four days later DJ Gold valid until end January 2012.

Same here. I have been making enquires on what the offers might be at Virgin and was told send in my details. Did this last week - will see what happens

I have been looking for a while to move away from full time travel with Qantas domestic - already have internationally.

thadocta Nov 9, 2010 1:52 am

I just wish they would waive the joining fee for The Lounge for current QP members, I would be over there in a flash.

Dave

cyncynangel Nov 9, 2010 5:54 pm

Does that work for Qantas Club members?

robbo755 Nov 9, 2010 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by cyncynangel (Post 15109014)

Not according to the article, Gold or Platinum only.

drewbles Nov 9, 2010 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by cyncynangel (Post 15109014)

Originally Posted by robbo755 (Post 15109505)
Not according to the article, Gold or Platinum only.

Correct. Silver, Gold or Platinum actually. QF PS is comp'ed to DJ Silver, SG/WP to DJ Gold. DJ only have two levels at present.

QP is equivalent to DJ's "The Lounge" which is a for-purchase offering only, so no comping there.

thadocta Nov 10, 2010 5:42 am

Originally Posted by drewbles (Post 15109929)
Correct. Silver, Gold or Platinum actually. QF PS is comp'ed to DJ Silver, SG/WP to DJ Gold. DJ only have two levels at present.

QP is equivalent to DJ's "The Lounge" which is a for-purchase offering only, so no comping there.

No problems with that, I don't mind paying for it, I just want the joining fee waived, otherwise I am going to go with the program that does not have a joining fee (which for me is QP, otherwise I would be over to DJ in a flash).

Basicallym what is involved in setting up membership? As far as QF goes, it involves baggage tags, and not much else, there is not much difference between a new member and a renewing member, apart from a few extra key-strokes somewhere, so costing bugger all.

Likewise for a Velocity Member who wishes to join The Lounge, bugger all additional cost as opposed to a The Lounge member renewing.

It seems to me - and I might be totally out of line here, please correct me if I am - that it would cost DJ NOTHING (in actual cost) but would garner them a great deal of good will, if they were to reciprocate on this, namely, QF (PAID) = DJ Lounge (PAID FOR, but no joining fee).

Your thoughts?

Dave