Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF 32 - Engine Exploded? (General discussion of the events)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF 32 - Engine Exploded? (General discussion of the events)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:46 am

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, AA Plat 2MM, McDonalds heavy user
Post an incident like this, what happens to the wing that took damage? My understanding is that carbon fiber is pretty difficult to repair and since it's relatively new technology on a plane, I would be a little nervous getting back on that plane.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:11 am

Can’t believe this has happened ! I’m traveling myself to Sydney on QF32 next Wednesday (Nov 10th) ! I was really looking forward to fly the A380.

I’ve read it was VH-OQA (Nancy Bird) which suffered from engine troubles…

And all A380’s are currently grounded, but if they were to reinstate the fleet … does anyone know if this flight (QF32 – Nov 10th) is the same ‘fysical’ plane, or could we be transported on another A380 servicing the same route ? (big IF I guess)
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:23 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by spacekiek
Can’t believe this has happened ! I’m traveling myself to Sydney on QF32 next Wednesday (Nov 10th) ! I was really looking forward to fly the A380.

I’ve read it was VH-OQA (Nancy Bird) which suffered from engine troubles…

And all A380’s are currently grounded, but if they were to reinstate the fleet … does anyone know if this flight (QF32 – Nov 10th) is the same ‘fysical’ plane, or could we be transported on another A380 servicing the same route ? (big IF I guess)
If it will be A380 at all, it will definitelly be different one... This one will not fly any time soon...
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
If it will be A380 at all, it will definitelly be different one... This one will not fly any time soon...
Yes, the Nancy Bird will be grounded for quite some time if I see the damage on the wing and engine.
I’m just trying to find out whether VH-0QA is the only A380 serving flight QF32 ?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:36 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Yes, the Nancy Bird will be grounded for quite some time if I see the damage on the wing and engine.
I’m just trying to find out whether VH-0QA is the only A380 serving flight QF32 ?
QF just grounded ALL A380 until further notice...
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:59 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
QF have made a very sensible decision. Pax safety is paramount. We are due to travel on QF32 out of LHR to SYD F in Feb, so hope all the problems and investigations have been solved by then, otherwise the trip will be on a 744
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:59 am

Programs: QFF
It's an aircraft type that operates the route, not a set plane. As posted above, QF32 has been operated by VH-OQC and VH-OQD this week.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:05 am

Programs: Velocity
the grounding will probably last long enough to boroscope the engines and we'll carry on as normal.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:19 am

Why Quantas again??!! At least that was the first thought that came to mind this morning when I saw the news. Bear in mind their A380 is certainly not the oldest one nor with the most flight time.......Maybe they did come tooo close to the volcanic ash.

I hate to say it but I am sure I am not the only one to thinking it though - Quantas has been making big withdrawels from their luck account over the passed few years - one day they are going to run out.........
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moeve
Why Quantas again??!! At least that was the first thought that came to mind this morning when I saw the news. Bear in mind their A380 is certainly not the oldest one nor with the most flight time.......Maybe they did come tooo close to the volcanic ash.

I hate to say it but I am sure I am not the only one to thinking it though - Quantas has been making big withdrawels from their luck account over the passed few years - one day they are going to run out.........
Firstly, the airline is called "Qantas" - there is no 'u'. The name harks back to when the name was "Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services".

It's far too early to say what happened, but it does look like another uncontained failure and probably not something any maintenance cycle could ever prevent.

Secondly, people also need to remember that this is most likely a Rolls Royce issue and not necessarily anything to do with Airbus. There are a few aviation safety/crash experts that hang around these forums, and one specifically I am thinking of. Hopefully he might shed a little more light on the matter.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:24 am

That's a long draw of the bow, Qantas (no U) puts safety firmly ahead of anything else.

Considering these are exceptionally new engines compared to the average age of their fleet, it's a good safety precaution to ground the fleet, even if it is inconvenient.

Volcanic Ash? Volcanish Ash does not cause uncontained engined failure.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:44 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by vbroucek
QF just grounded ALL A380 until further notice...
Just hoping that all A380s will not be grounded. I am due to fly AKL-SYD on an Emirates A380 next week!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:50 am

Programs: Velocity
Originally Posted by celle
Just hoping that all A380s will not be grounded. I am due to fly AKL-SYD on an Emirates A380 next week!
all other airlines with the same engine manufacturer are still going to keep flying, emirates have a different engine manufacturer entirely.

you can't say anything with 100% certainty, but i'm 99.9% certain it'll be fine.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:00 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

I believe Qantas has some corporate issues re. maintenance with everything that's been going on with them recently.

I very much doubt this is volcano related. Iceland is far away ;-)
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Here' s the ABC interview AJ with KO'B:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.