Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QFF Suggestions & Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:06 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
  • Return Anytime Lounge Access
  • Chose a credit card parnter in Europe (like LH, who has partners in all important countries)
  • Domestic Priority Boarding
  • Old luggage allowance: Stop that silly piece rule on domestic flights (I hate to sqeeze all of my stuff into one bag. When I have checked luggage I sometimes check in my small suitcase I use as hand luggage. Now I have to carry it on board all the times).
  • Real Priority-Check-In for domestic flights - That really costs nothing and I only use it when I have problems to check in online! With online and mobile check-in the use of the priority check-in is reduced, but when something goes wrong it is very handy.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:16 am

Programs: QF WP
For me the return of "Anytime Lounge Access" would go along way to restoring my faith in being a WP.

Also the suggestion about removing the fee for assisted bookings through a phone agent when there is no online option would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who do not know from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14907537-post64.html here is Red Roo's first post
Hi Everyone,

I’m from Qantas Marketing and wanted to make a few points in regards to the latest changes to Qantas Frequent Flyer and specifically for our Platinum Frequent Flyers.

It’s probably not too much of a surprise for you that we often monitor the frequent flyer forums and in the light of the changes we announced this week, we’d like to clarify a few points here on FT...
In many other forums airline rep's who post on FT clearly indentify themselves as posting for the airline (but this is QF)
Old Oct 29, 2010, 4:23 am

Remove the blatant rip-off credit card fee; especially if its an affiliated

card the current charge is a joke, with QF laughing all the way to the bank.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 4:24 am

offer food that is actually fit for human consumption

particularly in the QF club and in economy class.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
FWIW, (at least notionally) "Priority Boarding" already exists for both Domestic and International.

The problem is that, more often than not, it is not enacted, nor enforced - especially domestically.

more to come ...

Last edited by serfty; Oct 29, 2010 at 5:15 am
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:24 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Red Roo
Just to clarify, could you give examples of potential distinctions?
The fundamental problem is simple: when times are good, QF flights have too many Gold and Platinum status flyers on them (at least for the long-haul sectors such as SYD-LAX and LHR-SIN). I've been on flights with over 100 and even 200 "high-status" members on board. At that point status becomes too diluted to be meaningful (and it is a bit unfair to the crew, at best making them jaded). QFF status is too easy to earn (of course that is the reason some of us have it, as that is the primary QFF benefit). The real distinction needed is to have some form of top-tier that is meaningfully rare. I suppose that is CL now, but since that is not an earned class it isn't of much interest to most of the FT audience.

The whittling away of the benefits over many years -- I can recall 4 rounds of changes in Platinum benefits now, and all had reductions and only 1 had some improvements or a wash ... so clearly it is by policy to reduce the cost and/or value of Platinum as a FF status. The latest cuts are maybe a cut too far, combined with the interlining change which seems particularly ill thought out given QF's route structure.

Most of my Oneworld business has gone to Star this year; something that would have been inconceivable not long ago. Partly due to the shambles that is Oneworld (fiascos with JL, BA, IB and AA) and not really tied to FF benefits. In any case better benefits are easily obtained these days for anyone with a decent travel budget. Simply put QF is going in one direction, while competing airlines are going in another, and some pax are going to notice and vote with their feet and/or wallets.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed

Some WP benefits on JQ internationally would be nice. If I don't like LCC, but have no other option than to fly JQ *class because of the QFF program I would like real priority check in, priority luggage, and express immigration cards. In some instances I choose VA's product and forget the points and SCs because their hard product is far superior.
I just did HKT-SYD in *Class on JQ and they did give out express cards for Star Class passenger. However, as a WP, in whY on JQ Int, l don't think that you get any.

To Red Roo

More benefits for QC, SG and WP's when traveling on Jetstar, especially
when QF have ditched routes and people are now forced to fly Jetstar, or a competitor!

Get rid of the "loyalty" points for getting 450 Status Credits. Upgrade certificates for milestones or reaching a certain level. I know that almost every "premium" airline gives them out when reaching status, QF, no such luck.

Abolish phone fee for making a booking online when it can't be completed online and assistance is required to complete booking

If you receive a QF money/gift voucher, please make it usable on the net, because you get slugged an assistance fee (because it can't be done on line)

The Credit Card fee. I mean, QANTAS in 2009 an award for this. Choice Magazine biggest shonk award that is. $7 on a $80 ticket.

Points redemption. Come one. AA is sometimes half the Classic Award rate that Qantas charge. Seriously.

Fuel fines...

OT - but still in the "Qantas Group". Jetstar advertising. More honestly. As l mentioned above, l flew Jetstar *Class HKT-SYD and there is no lounge on departure. Jetstar ads, "Get treated like a VIP, use the lounges etc etc." Fail

...More to come...
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by number_6
...Simply put QF is going in one direction, while competing airlines are going in another, and some pax are going to notice and vote with their feet and/or wallets.
Some friends of mine that spend big on Int travel moved to Star years ago. They use QF domestically, but for Int travel, they stay away with a barge pole.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
I hate QFF and make every effort to use AA or *G or anyone else because of QFF's extremely mean policy on awards and upgrades. Not concerned about the priority boarding, the lounges or the baggage allowance....

...It's the points, stupid.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
It seems that Red Roo is looking for ways to improve the QFF scheme, and I am therefore looking outside the box at what other FF schemes do which might improve QFF to make it a better scheme.

At the start, I will agree with everyone else, and say that Platinum benefits which have recently been removed should be reinstated. WP's fly a lot, and should be rewarded with additional benefits. QP members PAY for memberhips perks, and should get them (priority check-in being one of them).

So where do we go with making QFF better for frequent FLYERS?

Looking at BA, how about introducing Household Accounts? Pooling points into the one account seems to me to be a much better way of aggregating points than the current cumbersome system of transferring between accounts.

PLEASE reintroduce CONFIRMED international upgrades, the current system is a major w@nk.

Get rid of the "Loyalty Bonus" at 450 SC's, this is actually quite insulting, a measly 5K points for 450 SC's, I am sorry, but you need to do a fair bit of flying to get 450 SC's, and a mere 5K points is an insult (if it is meant to be a "Loyalty Bonus"). If you have travelled over 450 SC's, then 5K points will be inconsequential. Make it something realistic.

Revamp the catering in the QP's - I am about to switch to DJ Lounges, as DJ has better catering. QP catering is sh!t. It is supposed to be a relaxing environment, it is anything but.

I would be happy to take this further, my QP membership does not expire until 30NOV10, so I have five weeks to work through this.

Dave
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Hi Red Roo I welcome your interest, however on a point of etiquette you should clearly state who you are. I see you've already been outed anyway...

Many sensible comments from others here. As for mine:

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
  • Return Anytime Lounge Access
  • Domestic Priority Boarding
  • Old luggage allowance: Stop that silly piece rule on domestic flights (I hate to sqeeze all of my stuff into one bag. When I have checked luggage I sometimes check in my small suitcase I use as hand luggage. Now I have to carry it on board all the times).
  • Real Priority-Check-In for domestic flights - That really costs nothing and I only use it when I have problems to check in online! With online and mobile check-in the use of the priority check-in is reduced, but when something goes wrong it is very handy.
+1

Originally Posted by bugayev
I strongly agree with the above posters in their desire to see a greater distinction between Platinum and Gold membership. Priority boarding, the return of anytime lounge access and expedited checkin processes would all be extremely welcome from where I sit.
+1

Originally Posted by og
The assisted award booking fee is absurd when it is impossible to book some destinations over the web.
+1+1

Also, as for FF WP reps. If I've emailed them, that doesn't mean I want to be called. Keep the correspondence to the medium I communicated in. Otherwise I would've called.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Red Roo

Thanks for your involvement here. I hope that you find some of what we provide useful.

I am one of the Platinums who is extremely disappointed with the removal of anytime access. In fact, it will soon cause me to start crediting to AAdvantage - anytime access was pretty much the last benefit that QF gave to its own platinums over other OWEs (except baggage allowance which has been savaged anyway).

I understand that levels of earn/burn are set way at very senior levels, and reflect the decision to make QFF a frequent spending spin-off company (and a very profitable one), so you probably wouldn't be in a position to improve them - but you should be aware that it is probably the single biggest reason why many knowledgable frequent fliers who primarily fly Qantas credit to AA.

My suggestions are:

- Restore anytime access. QF has lost a great deal of good-will over this, and was one of the few good reasons to aim for Emerald on QF rather than AA.

- Domestic priority boarding - almost all the gates have two barcode readers and two staff members. It would be trivially easy, and cost almost nothing, to set up some tensabarriers and enforce priority boarding (which is a promised benefit, just one that has never been effectively delivered domestically).

- Restore ability to pre-allocate exit seats internationally for free.

- JQ and JQi priority check-in and boarding. More and more routes are being demoted to JQ services; some recognition of loyalty to QF group would be appreciated. (And bear in mind that where DJ is the main competitor, we may prefer to switch to DJ and have elite benefits on both major and regional routes).

- Maintain domestic priority check-in for silver members (in line with oneworld agreements) and for Qantas club members (for those that have paid in advance, it leaves a *very* sour taste to have promised benefits withdrawn).

- Fee waivers for platinums - be as generous as possible. Obviously not for change fees etc for revenue bookings, but many of the excessive FF booking fees could be easily waived for those who earned points the hard way.

I'm hoping to see some positive changes soon - I requalify WP in 6 weeks and will either switch to AA (if no improvements occur) or aim for partner gold on QF.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Hi Red Roo
Thanks for starting this thread in an official QFF capacity.

I disagree with the statement that Platinum is too easy to get. If QF are too concerned that too many people are flying other oneworld airlines to get status and cost them for the benefits then QF should do something about it....like 4 QF flight sectors. Maintaing the current system is good for me.
For me I would like to see:

JQ honour status benefits, such as luggage (additional and priority tags), priority boarding and seat selection
What would be very good is if all JQ fares offered benefits at least status credits if points were not given (similar to what was offered NZ based QFF last year)
I would like confirmed points upgrades at time of request (could use status for when this occurs eg. CL 90 days, WP 75 days, SG 60 days, QP/WS 45 days, NB 30 days)
Return of WP anytime access to the Lounges, not First or even Domestic Business, but least QP
Status credits for Classic Awards and keep Status Credit and Points for Any Seat Awards
Removal of assistance fees for WP
Allow free exit row seating for WP
Luggage benefit allowances across the oneworld network to be the same, the other alliances can do it
Annual gifts for high status members, eg. Platinum - Partner Gold
Oh actually ensuring benefits are given, check in access, priority boarding and priority baggage
Regarding redemption rates, I accept the poor redemption rate QFF to me is for status benefits and upgrades not shopping or redemption, QF accepts the fact that I do not credit non-flight points to them
I do not think that giving free upgrade certificates is good as previous evidence indicates they were hard to redeem and can devalue the premium product, I do pay for Business Class.
I forgot. Lifetime Platinum status!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 8:53 pm

Programs: QFF WP
For a start, all staff could be trained in the actual benefits of your frequent flyers and ensure that they provide what is promised. An example as a SG - on my last 4 flights where I have checked baggage in, once tagged business, once priority, twice not tagged at all. If you are standing at a carousel it is nice to have the illusion that your bag may appear in an early batch. My point - check in staff to provide the stated benefit, baggage handlers to respect the offering and put business and priority bags out before the rest.

Agree that the 5000 points for 450 SC's is a joke. How about 50 bonus SC's for every 500 SC's earnt (topical given the number of people on this board who miss requalification by 10 or 20 SC's despite having say 1100 for WP or 550 for SG

I hear a lot of WP's wanting differentiation between WP and SG, as a SG I want differentiation between me and the QPPS and QPNB members who pretty much have the access and benefits that I have for decidedly less travel

Enforce the carry on rules. Flying back from ADL last week 2 couples each carried on 2 bags (so 8 pieces) and stuffed them overhead on a full flight. Sighted their BP's - none of the 4 even a Bronze FF member.

Bring back priority boarding for elites. If you dont want to use it done, but being able to board first and ensure you can store your bags before the once a year travellers carries a lot of weight tot me - particularly on full 737 flights.

More to come, got a screaming baby to attend to!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.