Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Lounges moving to an Apple environment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounges moving to an Apple environment

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
I am from IT environment too and I would strongly argue this point. Good, tier 1 branded PCs are as reliable as MACs and definitelly cheaper...
+1
I took my HP laptop for repair a few months ago (under warranty) and was saying something along the lines of, "I'm over Windows, I'm getting an Apple next". The guy in the que next to me says, "Mate, l work at an Apple repairs center, they have just as many problems as PC's."

There goes your point FN-GM.

Since l have upgraded to Windows 7, from XP, l have had no problems what-so-ever! And that's saying something because my laptop is 3 years old.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:41 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2
Since l have upgraded to Windows 7, from XP, l have had no problems what-so-ever! And that's saying something because my laptop is 3 years old.
W7 is generally much more stable even on older HW. I am running something like 150 HP desktops in an environment where they are abused by students. I have recently decommissioned 50 that were 4 years old and replaced by new ones. I had four (4!!!!) service calls on that lot in those four years!!!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:40 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
OK - my objective straw poll is 100 % failure rate with my 1 PC (Vista) - crashing several times per week. 100 % success rate with my 1 MacBook (Snow Leopard) - has never crashed (and I like the picture of the leopard). Therefore all PCs are crap and Apple rocks.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Without wanting to add fuel to the Mac vs. PC debate (I'm in IT and am also on the Apple side), this is great news that the old antiques are going and replacements are being installed.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Simple solution; do like I do and take your own laptop and no issue with the replacement of the computers provided in the lounge
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:57 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity, *Alliance
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Simple solution; do like I do and take your own laptop and no issue with the replacement of the computers provided in the lounge
We all do this anyway.

I have a windows 7 based office system at home and always travel with a MacBook Pro with my own internet access and/or WiFi as well as my IPhone.

The discussion had developed into which platform had the least maintenance issues over time. As someone who purchased his first Apple computer in the late 1970s - an Apple 2E - I am obviously in the Apple camp in this discussion.

Regards
Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Anyway, I now have a personal project to get an XP shell with Firefox installed up ond running on QP Mac's.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
I recall when Gulf Air introduced Macs in the BAH lounge along side the windows lappys. The Macs were always sitting there idle; perhaps 1-2 people on them compared to lappys with waiting queues. GF ended up removing them. Not sure if Mac usage is greater now..but time will tell.

CJ
Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
The apple computer I can handle - after all its just a customsied *nux gui skin and the insides use intel parts (and this running xp and ubuntu at home)

But can they please not use an apple mouse - 2 buttons is much more useful
Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: QF SG, AA Plat
Originally Posted by perthite
moving the lounges to an all Apple environment.
Maybe this is their way of announcing a change in catering so the only food to be found is a few Apples
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:29 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
This is almost as quaint as the old Airbus v Boeing debate!

Dave
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orac
We all do this anyway.

I have a windows 7 based office system at home and always travel with a MacBook Pro with my own internet access and/or WiFi as well as my IPhone.
If everyone is taking their own, then surely doesnt matter what they provide in the lounge and the can use whichever they think is better
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
IMHO, this change doesn't mean very much. I'd put it down to the 'style over substance' category. Of the usage I've seen in the lounge, they fall into 3 main categories:

- Email (e.g., gmail, hotmail, etc.)
- Hotel and flight bookings
- Facebook and games

Everyone else has their own laptops or smartphones.

I'd rather they spend a bit of time implementing a structure where the printer/photocopier actually works when you want it to. Regardless of Mac or PC, most of the time, they aren't connected properly.

I hope they forget to install Flash Player so kids can't hog the computers playing games. I wonder if the QF site will still work without Flash...

P.S. Dear Qantas - Please don't fool yourself and think this is an actual improvement or enhancement for your QFF members.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by og
Wow. QF really seems to be ahead of the pack! I just hope the connection speeds can be improved.
SK have been offering Macs for ages.

[one of the nicest features of their lounges]
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Agree about the printers.
Quite liked the new setup in some of the AA printers.

On the desktop you print to a driver and it then spits out a six-digit code which you then punch into the large high speed printer which then prints.
On your own laptop you email a special address and it sends you back the code which you type into the printer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.