Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this fair?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2010, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Question Is this fair?

As mentioned in other posts I have QF/EY codeshare flights in Nov.
My fiirst destination is Amman. There is only one flight that day from SYD-AUH.(I need to depart that day as my meetings can only happen the fiollowing day).

DEP SYD: 1545
ARR AUH: 2340

DEP AUH: 0810
ARR AMM: 0940

Despite this flight being the only possible connection on the day with either QF or EY, QF have refused a hotel for the long transit despite my Plat status and being a J pax.

I tried to compromise and asked to be transferred to the MEL flight that day, despite it being more hassle, which departs MEL at approx 2300 which would mean only a 2 hour transit in AUH.
QF refused despite selling this option on QF website for same price as SYD departure with long transit.

Response was you should have booked through QF or you need to pay extra for the SYD-MEL connection, despite it costing the same on webiste.
(The total airfare was nearly $400 more on QF webiste than I paid thru TA)

Am I being unreasonable asking for a hotel? Surely with my status and being a premium pax this request is doable. I responded to FF Plat desk and Plat customer service asking "so QF is happy when a Plat in J class is left wondering an airport for over 8 hours?" They remained silent.

I wonder if Red Roo can add some sense here?

CJ

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Oct 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm
Old Oct 10, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Privilege Elite, Velocity Platinum
With respect I think your request is unreasonable. If you want a hotel, you can pay for it yourself - it's not Qantas' fault that you are having a long connection (and 8 hours is hardly a long connection in the grand scheme of things). There are no doubt lounges at AUH that your status/class of travel will entitle you to access. Use them.

You could always ask Etihad since they are the ones operating the flight, but again I doubt you will have much luck.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bugayev
With respect I think your request is unreasonable. If you want a hotel, you can pay for it yourself - it's not Qantas' fault that you are having a long connection (and 8 hours is hardly a long connection in the grand scheme of things). There are no doubt lounges at AUH that your status/class of travel will entitle you to access. Use them.

You could always ask Etihad since they are the ones operating the flight, but again I doubt you will have much luck.
Interesting response. GF would always give me a hotel on arrival when there was no better connection for a lesser amount of transit time in some cases. Are there any rules around the issuing of hotels or STPC? I wouldn't be so fussed if I didn't have a meeting the day of arrival. Isnt this why you fly (and pay ) a premium airline for business?

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Oct 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm
Old Oct 10, 2010, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Isnt this why you fly (and pay ) a premium airline for business?
You fly to get from A-B. You pay a premium for the service that ensues. Accommodation wasn't part of the booking. No-one forced you to take the flight, you knew the lay over period in advance of booking.

Take another flight, change your dates, but don't expect the airline to provide accommodation.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by under the clocks
You fly to get from A-B. You pay a premium for the service that ensues. Accommodation wasn't part of the booking. No-one forced you to take the flight, you knew the lay over period in advance of booking.

Take another flight, change your dates, but don't expect the airline to provide accommodation.

Indeed. I am talking about a point in between QF getting me from A-B
I also had many choces, true but what of loyalty?

I am just interested in knowing STPC rules as I haven't had this need flying QF before. Maybe I've been spoilt with GF?

1000th post
Old Oct 10, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Isn't the timing of flights a key consideration when you choose an airline or fare?

We've all had connections like this from time to time but you go into it with your eyes open. I've never been to AUH, so I'm not sure what the options are, but earlier this week someone on this board was asking about sleeping over in the corridors of AKL. You may have been spoilt in the past!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 7:59 pm
HW

Programs: QF LTG/WP, Various others = way too much flying
AUH lounges

The Etihad J lounge at AUH is ok as far as lounges go, it gets a little busy around 11pm but after that it quietens down. They have flights departing all through the night so I assume that it stays open, I've only been there as late as 1am. There are reasonable meals available, drinks, a couple of internet terminals and comfy lounges. You can get a free 15 min massage, I think they also have showers but I don't recall. Snooze and set an alarm clock would be my recommendation.

I don't think there are any hotels in the airport precinct, if you wanted to transfer into the city the immigration clearance is pretty quick and you can get a limo transfer for around 60-80 AED one-way. The ride will take about 30 mins (even at the hypersonic speed that these guys drive), so it's probably borderline whether it's worth it given the time you need to be back at the airport.

As to the airline's responsibility for this, my 5c is "caveat emptor" (well it's probably something like "caveat mora" to be honest).
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:10 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
I think you bought a fare, and that it doesnt include an overnight fare paid for by either Qantas or Etihad. Maybe similar connections with Gulf do include a hotel. Each airline establishes their own conditions.

I don't think your status with Qantas, or the class you are flying in is relevant.
To be frank if you can afford J Class, you can afford a hotel.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

I'm hearing you all..but what of STPC's; do they no longer exist (if they ever did with QF)? I was under the impression if there was no alternative connection with that carrier on same day etc a hotel is provided for transits over a certain number of hrs(?7, 8 or 9 hrs).

Someone would think you all owned shares in QF
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:20 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
One reason to book with EY, they would give you a hotel. I know that booking the codeshare immediately denies you the limousine service, hotel etc, one of the reasons that when we did, we booked EY, rather than the codeshare, and went without the QF points and SCs.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=m0hamed;14921446]One reason to book with EY, they would give you a hotel. I know that booking the codeshare immediately denies you the limousine service, hotel etc, one of the reasons that when we did, we booked EY, rather than the codeshare, and went without the QF points and SCs.[/QUOTETh

Your TA should know that cars are still available on request from EY directly.
I got them when I flew the QF/EY codeshare in March. My TA simply put in request and it was approved from AUH. They are still being paid by QF thus no need to deny the service from EY's point of view is what I was told.

As for hotel it has just been suggested that EY might just 'ignore' the "sold as QF 340" on the boading pass and supply hotel. Funnily I did get an email from EY direct inviting me to sample their F class product. I am an EY FF but no status or points. Maybe it was a generic email sent out to all Aussie FF's, but then again why only specifically invite me to sample their F class and not J or Y? Maybe a tactic to lure QF FF to EY?

Ah well I guess I'll see when I get to AUH what goes down. Perhaps I should start practicing puppy dog facial expressions

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Oct 10, 2010 at 8:41 pm
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:04 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
yes, puppy dog works every time

Sounds like you won out with the limo. EY senior staff told me it definitely isn't provided! A bit like the official line on the QF First Lounge, but clearly your puppy dog look worked on all counts!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The request seems unreasonable to me. I am not aware of Qantas paying for hotels anywhere else where an overnight connection is required.

There are options for getting to AMM from SYD without the need for an overnight stop
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:53 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
Yes I got STPC with Gulf as well on both my transit legs!! I was very impressed for them and I know I will continue to fly with them if they join oneworld. Not to mention my transit is day time!! They still provided the hotel free of charge for day use with meals without request. the lounge staff noticed my long transit time and provided hotel and transportation.

It is a pity that many Qantas flyers simply have no idea of what is STPC. Because they will never ever transit via Sydney (e.g. fly from Asia via Sydney to America). STPC should be part of a full service airline. Even if it is restricted but still it is part of the full service spirit.

In some Airlines you have to fly full J/F fare (which means no C D A P classes) to qualify (e.g. Cathay Pacific). Many many call centre staff would not know what is STPC. Many many ground staff would not know what is STPC as they will simply ignor the wording in the staff handbook (if the company still issue one). Sometimes it takes one senior staff or customer service staff to tell if STPC should be provided or not. The general guideline of STPC can vary by people who serve you or short notice from airline.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:05 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
And in many cases (as experienced personally) you get STPC if you ask for it, but it will not be offered. Even if you are in J or F. What is said though, is that many TAs do not know about these either...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.