Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plastic cutlery

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Plastic cutlery

Hi there
Was wondering why QF have to have plastic cutlery out of LHR on their Kangaroo flights, I realise that the last sectors, eg SIN, BKK to SYD, MEL, PER plastic is the norm, but why out of LHR. All the other airlines out of LHR have silver cutlery, please tell me, am interested to hear views
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:59 am

Programs: VS Gold, QPPS, CX, DJ, SG, AA, NH
Originally Posted by BA5E
Hi there
Was wondering why QF have to have plastic cutlery out of LHR on their Kangaroo flights, I realise that the last sectors, eg SIN, BKK to SYD, MEL, PER plastic is the norm, but why out of LHR. All the other airlines out of LHR have silver cutlery, please tell me, am interested to hear views
The 'norm' depends on the class of service.

Across the entire network (domestic & international) J & F have silverware for everything except knives - which remain plastic. Again, both domestically and international - Y & Y+ are plastic for everything.

There's no major reason for using plastic that I am aware of, however they do recycle it by putting it through strict cleaning and hygiene processes, before repackaging and reuse.

On a personal note, I don't have a problem with the plastic cutlery and don't think anyone else should either. It's cutlery, it does the job, and it's clean.

Plastics also help to reduce weight on board. If you're flying an A380 across the pacific, and have to carry enough of it for two meal services, you'd prefer to drop as much weight as possible to help with fuel consumption.

As for QF's plastic cutlery, It's of a very sturdy construction and more than fit for purpose. On domestic travel, I actually take it off the plane myself every once in a while - and use it at work for lunches (at least I know where it's been, and hate the metal jangling in my lunch bag).

It goes the distance and then some - lasting up to six months before I have to put it out to pasture.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:12 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by thewinchester
...There's no major reason for using plastic that I am aware of,....
It was required by gov't mandate (by various gov'ts, including UK, US and Australia). All airlines had to scramble to comply, often with poor results. QF has very nice plastic knife now that is better than most metal silverware (better than BA's, for example) and has chosen to retain it rather than scramble the next time there is a security alert and knives are once again banned. Personally I applaud this decision by QF.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thanks for replies, will be travelling A380 F in Feb LHR to SYD, I am not a big fan of plastic, but if it is heavy duty, then realise it will be sturdy, at least the rest of the cutlery will be of the silverware make. Am though apart from having the fanatical thing about plastic, but hubby and I are so looking forward to the A380 F experience. Am sure we will be very happy with it. We are though travelling back F BA via BKK.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:54 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The weight saving issue for plastic knives in F is rubbish. The knives are showing their age and no better than the worst metal knives. It degrades the premium product and should be abandoned.

This is even more obvious when you can use proper cutlery in 3rd world AAirlines.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:04 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by number_6
It was required by gov't mandate (by various gov'ts, including UK, US and Australia). All airlines had to scramble to comply, often with poor results. QF has very nice plastic knife now that is better than most metal silverware (better than BA's, for example) and has chosen to retain it rather than scramble the next time there is a security alert and knives are once again banned. Personally I applaud this decision by QF.
Not me.

QF and other affected airlines should have told the government(s) that such mandates are extremely stupid and should have resisted complying with such idiocy. The government(s) in question should have been publicly berated by the airlines.

Plastic cutlery in a 4-5 figure seat is an utter disgrace.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
Not me.

QF and other affected airlines should have told the government(s) that such mandates are extremely stupid and should have resisted complying with such idiocy. The government(s) in question should have been publicly berated by the airlines.

I agree there entirely, hard earned cash for the plastic knife is awful, why spoil the rest of the silver cutlery with a piece of heavy duty plastic.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Spiff
Not me.

Form 1st July the Australian Government dropped the need for plastic knives I was told. There is a problem where some other countries still have the ban.
I guess QF want to use up the current stock but I agree the plastic in the higher cabins is as turnoff.
I have kept my QF economy plastic cutlery, great for picnics, work etc.^

Last edited by Blackcloud; Sep 28, 2010 at 9:41 pm
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:57 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by BA5E
I agree there entirely, hard earned cash for the plastic knife is awful, why spoil the rest of the silver cutlery with a piece of heavy duty plastic.
Which airline has silver cutlery in this century????? No hallmarked silver has ever been used on any jet airplane ime (not even the Concorde -- though there were hallmarked serving pieces in the CR); and I haven't seen silver plate of even the cheapest quality in use by SQ/BA/EK/LH etc. It is all stainless steel at similar cost to the QF plastic knives. So what silver cutlery is being spoiled? Also, a few people are allergic to the nickel in stainless steel, while there are no similar allergies to the plastic used in knives, so there is a minor health benefit

Now for snobbish service I'd like QF to supply Ugg slippers with the A380 F PJs. That is real luxury and having to bring my own is soooo inconvenient.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
They even use the Plastic Knives in the MEL/SYD First Class lounges.

A while ago in Sydney I had a plastic knife break on my while trying to cut through some brushetta toast - spreading oil / dressing across my lap, shirt, table and various other nearbly parts of the lounge.

Since then I have been rather averse to the plastic.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 28, 2010 at 7:00 pm
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:07 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
It was never a good idea. The best plastic knives are far more dangerous than the metal knives. They are better at slicing through steak than the metal ones and the brittle ones snap at the wrong time and send pieces flying (with or without food attached). You almost need safety glasses when using some of them.

How much compensation can you get for half a plastic knife embedded in your eye?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:44 pm

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Form 1st July the Australian Government dropped the need for plastic knives I was told. There is a problem where some other countries still have the ban.
I guess QF want to use up the current stack but I agree the plastic in the higher cabins is as turnoff.
It is my understanding, from someone at QF, that it is simply a result of a long term supply arrangement for th eplastic, and it would cost them too much to switch. perhaps when the contract expires, they will "review" the use of plastic in F and J and reintroduce metal.

I always thought it was crazy that AA used metal and QF did not, ostensibly for security reasons.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:29 am

Programs: NZ (LT Koru); QF (WP & LTG); FJ (Tabua)
Picnic cutlery

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I guess QF want to use up the current stock but I agree the plastic in the higher cabins is as turnoff.
The best collectible plastic cutlery is from NZ - classy design, sturdy transluscent plastic.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
It was never a good idea. The best plastic knives are far more dangerous than the metal knives. They are better at slicing through steak than the metal ones and the brittle ones snap at the wrong time and send pieces flying (with or without food attached). You almost need safety glasses when using some of them.

How much compensation can you get for half a plastic knife embedded in your eye?
That sounds very dangerous, would hate to be hit in the eye with a broken plastic knife, so metal would be much better. Oh well hey ho will have to put up with plastic knives on both sectors, and of course on the BA coming back into BKK, at least then metal knives take over^
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Which airline has silver cutlery in this century????? No hallmarked silver has ever been used on any jet airplane ime (not even the Concorde -- though there were hallmarked serving pieces in the CR); and I haven't seen silver plate of even the cheapest quality in use by SQ/BA/EK/LH etc. It is all stainless steel at similar cost to the QF plastic knives. So what silver cutlery is being spoiled? Also, a few people are allergic to the nickel in stainless steel, while there are no similar allergies to the plastic used in knives, so there is a minor health benefit

Now for snobbish service I'd like QF to supply Ugg slippers with the A380 F PJs. That is real luxury and having to bring my own is soooo inconvenient.
Ok I know that it is not proper silver, but at least it is metal, better than albeit sturdy plastic.

I am sure the slippers albeit not brilliant,in QF and in BA, but at least they suffice for the journey rather than walking around in socked feet. In fact I use them at home, together with the PJ bottoms, very casual, yes I am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.