Wiki Posts
Search

Dose Quantas match AA status?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by thadocta
Not so, otherwise it would be pretty useless for inbound tourists. Unless they have changed the rules since I worked there (and I have seen no changes to the published wording) the international allowance is granted for the duration of the journey, even if on seperate PNR's (provided proof of inbound international travel is provided).

Dave
Interesting ... so keep a copy of an itinerary with US-OZ flight and get the 2pcs allowance for all QF domestic flights for the next 12 months, even for pax living in Oz. Quite a useful loophole given how expensive excess baggage is (it would cost several hundred dollars to buy this per flight otherwise!).
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by number_6
Interesting ... Quite a useful loophole given how expensive excess baggage is (it would cost several hundred dollars to buy this per flight otherwise!).
This used to be specifically published on the web site.

I don't think it affects Qantas significantly as most domestic PAX would be 1) either unaware of this facility, or 2) Not have any trans-Pacific travel with the time frame.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:44 am
Original Poster

I apologize for my poor spelling, yes, it is Qantas w/o “U”. Btw, I have no idea what Qantas stands for.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by kiyotaka
I apologize for my poor spelling, yes, it is Qantas w/o “U”. Btw, I have no idea what Qantas stands for.
Sorry but Qantas was not the only misspelt word in the title.
It is hard to know if English is not your native language, I know how hard it can be when posting on non-native language sites. I stopped posting on a French language site when I knew I did not have the sufficient skills.
Not that I am saying we cannot understand what you are saying.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by number_6
Interesting ... so keep a copy of an itinerary with US-OZ flight and get the 2pcs allowance for all QF domestic flights for the next 12 months, even for pax living in Oz. Quite a useful loophole given how expensive excess baggage is (it would cost several hundred dollars to buy this per flight otherwise!).
I do not think this is correct. The QF website says:

"International Travel is defined as travel between two or more countries including any flights within those countries when they are combined with international travel on the same ticket."

Also I had the same issue myself and emailed them here is what I said and what they said.

My Query:

I will be flying QF LAX-SYD in F class later this year, stopping in SYD for a few days. Then flying SYD-CNS-BNE on QF, economy class, on a different record locator. Then leaving on QF MEL-LAX Business class Will my baggage on the domestic sectors be the same as that of my INTL sectors? I have not flown QF in a few years and seem to remember that if one provided proof of the INTL sector the baggage allowance for the domestic was the same as the INTL , even if it was a seperate booking.

Their response:

Dear Mr XXXX,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The INTL and DOM baggage allowances will be independent of each other because they are on separate tickets.

The AA OW sapphire does not increase the baggage allowance on Qantas operated flights.

Regards

XXXX

QANTAS Airways

Also in their FAQs:

Baggage entitlements for separate domestic and international tickets
Question
What is the checked baggage allowance if I have two separate tickets – one international and one domestic?
Answer
If two separate tickets are purchased, the relevant checked baggage allowance for each itinerary is printed on the ticket. However, if transferring from a Qantas domestic flight to a Qantas international flight, or vice versa, within 24 hours, the international checked baggage allowance is accepted on both flights. You must present both tickets when checking baggage in.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
I do not think this is correct. The QF website says: ...
It was correct when posted. About 2 weeks ago, Qantas changed their baggage rules (for the worse).
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by serfty
It was correct when posted. About 2 weeks ago, Qantas changed their baggage rules (for the worse).
The new rules look much more sane than what were claimed to be the case before and more generous than would expect. Connecting on separate itineraries within 24 hours and allowing the international allowance seems generous to me
Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:47 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The new rules look much more sane than what were claimed to be the case before and more generous than would expect. Connecting on separate itineraries within 24 hours and allowing the international allowance seems generous to me
The queries I made and the responses received were from February of 2010. It looks like Qantas merely clarified and published their current interpretation of the rules.

In 2007 all you needed was you INTL inbound and outbound int to get the INTL allowance on the domestic legs. They did not need to be on the same ticket.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
.... It looks like Qantas merely clarified and published their current interpretation of the rules. ...
No, though the middle of this year it seems they endeavored to muddy the existing rule structure.

Since Oct 1 they have simply been changed.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
For the last time kiyotaka, if you want to fly on the Australian airline, please learn to spell it by the correct name. It is called :
QANTAS and NOT Quantas as you have been spelling it over and over again on this thread.

Now do you know what QANTAS stands for ?
Actually is the airline called QANTAS any longer? I thought like many companies the acronym had become a word in itself and the Airline was now Qantas Airways Limited.

In the past the acronym QANTAS stood for something but now those letters only spell a word.

If we are going to be pedantic lets be pedantic shall we?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:19 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by simongr
Actually is the airline called QANTAS any longer? I thought like many companies the acronym had become a word in itself and the Airline was now Qantas Airways Limited.

In the past the acronym QANTAS stood for something but now those letters only spell a word.

Q or QAL is irrelevant. What is important is that there is no U in QANTAS
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
It is also quite important that it is not teh name or the airline so picking people on it is being the wrong spelling of the airline name is incorrect.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Absolutely

A good idea. In which case I think that an apostrophe should be added between the letters "t" and "s" in "lets"

Dave
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
It is also quite important that it is not teh name or the airline so picking people on it is being the wrong spelling of the airline name is incorrect.
lol. What is written on the livery of the plane, the website, the branding, airport signage, etc - QUANTAS or QANTAS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.