Oprah is going Down Under on Qantas

Old Sep 13, 10, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Oprah is going Down Under on Qantas

I thought this would already be all the rage here on FT ^ Oprah announces she is taking today's audience down under flying Qantas - that's easily 300+ people so I'm assuming that means she's has chartered nearly a whole plane going and coming from Australia? Boy if that means she has chartered a whole A380 that would be HUGE!

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Oprah...-Viewers-Video

As for me see you down under next year
Old Sep 13, 10, 10:36 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I think it's quite funny that she's having her show at the Opera House. Oprah's house, so to speak.

Not big news here, to be honest. Oprah's not a huge hit in Australia.
Old Sep 13, 10, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Guessing Oprah will be sitting in coach to allow another one of her audience members a 1st class seat--any bets?

But really, wonder how seating assignments would work on that plane. I doubt she would be on it with everyone else.
Old Sep 13, 10, 10:57 pm

Easy:
300 audience members
332 seats in economy

So a lucky few with a spare seat between them. The rest of the production staff in business I would imagine and if she does travel on the same flight, no doubt she would be in first.

This explains why Qantas sent out a note to crew the other day asking for anyone interested in charter flights for the A380!
Old Sep 13, 10, 11:01 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
" BFD "
Old Sep 13, 10, 11:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by og View Post
" BFD "
^

In other words, who cares?

Dave
Old Sep 13, 10, 11:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by thadocta View Post
In other words, who cares?
United Airlines? They are Chicago's hometown airline, where the show is produced. Might be something of a coup that Qantas arranged the travel and not United.
Old Sep 14, 10, 12:31 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
SouthWest wouldn't have a chance - she'd need to buy two seats.....
Old Sep 14, 10, 12:40 am

Programs: LT Marriott Gold
Isn't John Travolta going to be piloting the flight? As he is a Qantas Ambassador that would explain why it is a Qantas flight and not United.
Old Sep 14, 10, 12:44 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Be interesting to know if Travolta has equipment ratings for either the 747 or the A380 since he flies a 707.
Old Sep 14, 10, 12:53 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Yeah, great.

OP, nothing against you and your excitement to visit Australia, but your gratitude for Oprah's generosity is misplaced.

LINK.

Originally Posted by Sydney Morning Herald
More than $3 million will be spent by the [Australian] federal and NSW governments bringing Oprah Winfrey to Sydney...

"I can't tell you how excited we are to be able to come Down Under," Winfrey said, adding it was the most exciting thing to happen in her studio for years.

Winfrey revealed on Monday she would be flying the 300 audience members sitting in her Chicago studio to Australia for an eight-day adventure in December.
Well, I'd be excited if someone else's taxes were paying for me and 300 of my friends to take an overseas vacation. In what way, exactly, Ms Winfrey, are YOU "flying the audience members to Australia"? You're not paying the bill, are you gonna pilot the plane?
Old Sep 14, 10, 1:26 am

Programs: QFF WP
Well your anger is really directed into the wrong area. You do realise that this $3mil is VERY VERY VERY little for what publicity Australia is getting across America and parts of the world..

Easily the promotion would net the Australian economy over 1000% of the $3mil 'tax payers money'

At the moment in America it's on nearly every front page of newspapers, on every American news network, on every Australian media outlet. The TV show is be shown in over 140+ countries and has millions of views in the US alone.

Last edited by gilby08; Sep 14, 10 at 1:35 am
Old Sep 14, 10, 1:36 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Be interesting to know if Travolta has equipment ratings for either the 747 or the A380 since he flies a 707.
The flight will be on the A380 and AFAIK John has the A380 rating, which was supplied by QF.
Old Sep 14, 10, 1:38 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The NSW state govt is very adept at this sort of publicity and these kinds of commercial arrangements. And a lot cheaper than bring the Olympics to Sydney (that was $7 billion final cost, wasn't it?). Hilarious that QF is substituting 744s for scheduled A380 flights, only to charter one for Oprah. Presumably they'll have a spare A380 on standby to make sure the flight happens on time Say goodbye to any chance of getting A380 award seats after this show airs, and QF gets all that publicity.
Old Sep 14, 10, 3:44 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by gilby08 View Post
Well your anger is really directed into the wrong area. You do realise that this $3mil is VERY VERY VERY little for what publicity Australia is getting across America and parts of the world..

Easily the promotion would net the Australian economy over 1000% of the $3mil 'tax payers money'

At the moment in America it's on nearly every front page of newspapers, on every American news network, on every Australian media outlet. The TV show is be shown in over 140+ countries and has millions of views in the US alone.
Yes. SBS news said the "where the bloody hell are you" campaign cost $180M and most of the publicity that got was when it was banned/restricted/re-edited in its target countries. $3M is cheap for what they are getting this time.

Search this Thread