Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Handle WLG-MEL-HKG: Drinks, Meals, Sleep

Old Sep 10, 10, 9:28 am
Original Poster

I will be traveling WLG-MEL (J) arriving at 17:00 and departing at midnight MEL-HKG (F). I'm afraid a 7 hour layover, even in the F Lounge, will be way beyond my boredom threshold, but I seem to have no other choice. I suppose a massage might take up some time, but I will be in transit and unable to book reservations ahead even if the spa is open in this time window.

MEL-HKG is just an 8 hour flight. Are both a supper and breakfast served in flight or am I best just eating and drinking in the lounge and sleeping on board?

I guess what I'm really asking is what is the best way to make the most enjoyable experience from this set of circumstances. This is an award ticket and a rather special trip for me and the times and routing are the best I could cobble together from award availability.

Your thoughts and advice would be most welcome.
Old Sep 10, 10, 3:32 pm

You have plenty of time to leave the airport and go into the city. Have a nice meal and see the sights. The view from the big tower (forget the name) should be pretty good at night.
Old Sep 10, 10, 3:50 pm

If flying first spa treatments qantas will call to book you a time for the spa and also as you have a long transit you should not have too much trouble to find a time.

Second point I would eat in the Flounge and then sleep on the flight to HKG obviously plane food has issues just because of the nature of where you are being served.

Yes you could go into Melbourne but it will take an hour each way,then you have to get back say 2 hours before your flight so I guess is it worth it for 4 hours in Melbourne. I would probably just relax in the lounge that way you don't have to stress about delayed transport back to the airport etc.

Flounge is really nice since you have 8 hours why not compare it to the business class lounge down stairs and you will see how much better the first class lounge is

Overall Enjoy and just enjoy the experience
Old Sep 10, 10, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by babs View Post
Yes you could go into Melbourne but it will take an hour each way,then you have to get back say 2 hours before your flight so I guess is it worth it for 4 hours in Melbourne. I would probably just relax in the lounge that way you don't have to stress about delayed transport back to the airport etc.
Depending on how long the wait is for taxis at the terminal (if taking a taxi), the driving time from the airport to the city should only be 30 mins. Not to mention it'll be in the opposite direction to the main traffic flows.

Plus to get back for the QF29 departure, might be as quick as 20 mins to the airport given the light state of traffic for a late departure.

Agreed the food in the lounge will beat anything served onboard.
Old Sep 10, 10, 7:36 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Doesn't MEL-HKG serve the degustation menu in F? I know MEL-LAX does and would presume MEL-HKG would too even though it is a "short" longhaul flight. In which case while the J food is not as good as the F lounge dining, the F food is definitely better than what is offered in the lounge. Similarly the wines are double to triple the cost onboard, fwiw. I have never taken this flight (always flew CX HKG-MEL when F was still offered), but I would expect QF F to be quite nice and wouldn't forego dining on board.

Taxi to CBD is AUD 50 each way, so it is a bit of an expense (Skybus is about AUD 20 for a return ticket); not really worth going into town unless you have someone to meet. Does the MEL F lounge have a DVD lending library? Watching movies might be the best approach (if you don't have your own laptop). They aren't well stocked on magazines (not like the Concorde Room who used to go out and buy any magazine published for you, upon request).
Old Sep 10, 10, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Stay in the F Lounge and chillax - there are worse places to be stuck for 7 hours...!

Going into Melbourne for just a few hours would be a rush IMHO...

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Sep 11, 10, 12:24 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Freshly grilled or fried items will always be better in the Flounge rather than in the air given the obvious cooking, chilling and reheating process to get it served at your seat. Likewise, fruit salad always seems to struggle when served in the air - given it was cut up many hours earlier. I have yet to have good toast when flying. Conversely, on board, if it can be covered with gravy, sauce, oil or dressing it can be really good.

BUT, one of the nicest things about flying is a great meal with stunning wines. My suggestion is to do both. Eat lightly in the Flounge and have a top-up on board.

Eat whenever you can because you never know when you'll get your next meal.
Old Sep 12, 10, 1:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
[QUOTE=og;14638056]BUT, one of the nicest things about flying is a great meal with stunning wines. My suggestion is to do both. Eat lightly in the Flounge and have a top-up on board.[QUOTE]

Absolutely! +1 ^

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Sep 12, 10, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice. Looks like the drinks and meals side of things will be well taken care of. What I can't figure out is when I will get any sleep.
Old Sep 12, 10, 11:02 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
[QUOTE=number_6;14636986]Doesn't MEL-HKG serve the degustation menu in F? [QUOTE]

The degustation menu is not served on MEL-HKG. When it was introduced, it was only for 'flagship' routes, which were declared to be MEL-SIN, MEL-LAX, SYD-SIN, SYD-BKK, and SYD-LAX.

With the late night departure not many passengers would be wanting a 6 course supper in any case. A degustation menu would be far more appropriate on QF29 for the following HKG-LHR day sector when the passengers would have lots of time to enjoy it, but of course it is only served ex Australia.

Last edited by QF Lad; Sep 12, 10 at 11:14 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: