FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Deceased family member's FF account? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1093844-deceased-family-members-ff-account.html)

Adam1 Jun 8, 2010 10:34 pm

Deceased family member's FF account?

Hi to all,
I know it is not possible to transfer status credit between family members in the same way you can transfer points, however are there any exceptions to this rule such as a deceased person's account?

If not, is there anything that can be done with the lifetime Status Credits that are just sitting in the unused account?
Cheers

bugayev Jun 8, 2010 10:48 pm

Points yes, status no. From memory it needs to be in writing and by the executor of the deceased estate.

DownUnderFlyer Jun 8, 2010 10:52 pm

From the QFF T&Cs:

8.3 Membership will terminate automatically on the death of a Member. Points earned but not yet redeemed or transferred prior to the death of the Member will be cancelled. Qantas will close the Member's account on notification of the Member's death. Qantas will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever suffered by any person as a result of such cancellation.
And no, you can not use somebody else's Status Credits no matter whether this person is alive or dead. Not sure what they would do with Partner Gold in this situation but I guess they would still award it.

Adam1 Jun 8, 2010 11:02 pm

A shame, yet somewhat understandable.
Thanks for the replies, appreciate the help.

moa999 Jun 9, 2010 3:31 am

Note from a friends experience.

Login in and transfer out as many points as you can using family transfers.
Book award flights for family members.

On the SCs, they are afterall "Lifetime" by name and nature.

Tyrolean Jun 9, 2010 3:47 am

Originally Posted by moa999 (Post 14102657)
Note from a friends experience.

Login in and transfer out as many points as you can using family transfers.
Book award flights for family members.

I have a similar Problem with my Father in Laws death.

LH is very good in that: You have 6 Months to redeem the miles or you can transfer the miles to any family member - you can split them or put them in one account.

Status cannot be transfered.

So transfer the miles and then close the account!

david870mdg Jun 9, 2010 6:15 am

8.3 Membership will terminate automatically on the death of a Member. Points earned but not yet redeemed or transferred prior to the death of the Member will be cancelled. Qantas will close the Member's account on notification of the Member's death. Qantas will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever suffered by any person as a result of such cancellation.

- Who says QF needs to know the member is Dead?
Log on and transfer every last penny of points to a family member, if the amount of points able to be transfered is limited then book book book for as many family members as you can.
:confused:

TIMP Jun 9, 2010 6:48 am

Thats what we did with my Dad's account. I transferred the few points he had into mine. It will go inactive after 3 years of no activity.

NZ_Flyer Jun 10, 2010 3:41 pm

We did the same thing many others have done upon a death of a relative. Just logged on to his account and transferred the points to his wife using a family transfer.

RichardMEL Jun 11, 2010 12:00 am

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer (Post 14112513)
We did the same thing many others have done upon a death of a relative. Just logged on to his account and transferred the points to his wife using a family transfer.

Exactly what I did. Luckily I was able to figure out my mum's PIN and over the next 3 years transferred the points out as family transfers to different members.