FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   When does the upgrade window open? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1093493-when-does-upgrade-window-open.html)

og Jun 8, 2010 5:29 am

When does the upgrade window open?

It is well known that the upgrade request window opens at 3 months prior, but what time on the designated day?

I'm going for a UG request and it shows that the window opens today (8 June) but it is not taking my bid. I can only assume the window opening is on the local departure time for the flight in question rather than QF HQ time?

serfty Jun 8, 2010 5:34 am

Online it's exactly 90 days (to the Hour!) based on scheduled departure time.

In the past one could simply call QFF and submit the upgrade request on the day; irrespective of the time.

I presume this is still the case.

Note that time of request is no longer deemed that important. Current anecdotal evidence indicates it's Status of the requester, Class of travel (e.g J>D, L>V) and how long the requester been a member of QFF.

og Jun 8, 2010 5:46 am

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 14096146)
Online it's exactly 90 days based on scheduled departure time.
...Note that time of request is no longer deemed that important. Current anecdotal evidence indicates it's Status of the requester, Class of travel (e.g J>D, L>V) and how long the requester been a member of QFF.

90 days is today but the web site is not taking it yet - hence my question. It may well be that the 90 days is local for departure (JNB at 1800 local).

seat_4D Jun 8, 2010 8:09 am

Originally Posted by og (Post 14096182)
90 days is today but the web site is not taking it yet - hence my question. It may well be that the 90 days is local for departure (JNB at 1800 local).

my extensive experience from JNB both travelling and booking other pax is that to PER on the code share, or SYD are as rare as finding a hens tooth in a pile of rocking horse sh!t so I wish you well!

booking 3 months out on paid J it was not unusual for us to be waitlisted on the preferred flight home every time (yet funnily enough we never had that problem flying into the country!)

would be interested to hear if you have a win

Kiwi Flyer Jun 8, 2010 1:57 pm

My experience is it is based on local departure time.

serfty Jun 8, 2010 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by og (Post 14096182)

On-line it's to the hour, or to put it another way, it opens up exactly 2160 hours before the actual scheduled (local) departure time of your flight.:p

As I mentioned you can also telephone any time on the day and request - the QFF agents are not so constrained.

status level flint Jun 8, 2010 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by seat_4D (Post 14097281)
my extensive experience from JNB both travelling and booking other pax is that to PER on the code share, or SYD are as rare as finding a hens tooth in a pile of rocking horse sh!t so I wish you well!

would be interested to hear if you have a win

I had a win on JNB-SYD as a QP NB, upgrading Y to J (booking class L), based on a request not too far in advance.

og Jun 8, 2010 6:22 pm

Confirmng serfty and KF's remarks. The web site window did indeed open based on the local departure time of the flight in question.