Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

FF Ticket request - give up or try again?

Old Jun 7, 10, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTS

I'm trying to book tickets for myself, Mrs Asiaflyer and Asiaflyer Jnr (infant) SYD-HKG in F.

I'm happy to purchase my ticket, and was hoping to obtain a FF ticket for Mrs Asiaflyer (with the free addition of Asiaflyer Jnr on the FF ticket).

Unfortunately, while the flight Syd-HKG has FF avaialbility in F, but the return (where I am flexible over 4 or 5 days) does not.

I called the FF hotline explained what I wanted to do and asked if they could release an F FF ticket for the return considering I would also be purchasing a ticket as well. The agent was kind enough to ask the supervisor (after confirming my SG status) but it was declined.

So my question....is there any point calling back to hopefully get the answer I want, or should I give up now. I can't justify purchasing F seats for us all, so my backup would be purchasing CX J for all parties (I hate the QF wedgy seats in J, and CX are cheaper anyway).

gee - I think I wish I still had WP - but my travel has been limited since Asiaflyer Jnr came along.
Old Jun 7, 10, 10:29 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
As a Gold FF member, I would expect there is little chance that calling back would have any positive effect on F award availability.

Suggest you look for options such as Business Class awards on CX (if you really don't like Skybeds).
Old Jun 8, 10, 5:14 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by asiaflyer View Post
gee - I think I wish I still had WP - but my travel has been limited since Asiaflyer Jnr came along.
Maybe your UNCLE or COUSIN who is a WP can do this for you and you do a family transfer of points?
Old Jun 8, 10, 5:34 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by NM View Post
Suggest you look for options such as Business Class awards on CX (if you really don't like Skybeds).
If you don't like the ShyBeds, just put your cabin bag under the footrest and that elevates it almost 12" (if you try ). It makes the bed a much better option and you are almost horizontal. I did this last night SYD-NRT and it worked a treat.

PS: AVOD and some J seat electrics on VH-QPD were not working last night. Right hand side seats were OK...
Old Jun 8, 10, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Well an update. Nothing to lose so tried two more times.

Both times they said no, once the FF tickets are released, no more are available. Neither was even willing to ask for the release. The last one I mentioned I thought it was possible back when I was WP - which they confirmed was available for WP as a privilage but laughed and said would not even be considered for an SG.

I wonder if their system tracks the calls and requests - at least they didn't say you've already asked twice today, the answer is still no!

Now I understand the need to limit FF tickets, but I thought they'd be keen to sell a purchased F ticket just by releasing a FF seat one way, especially as from what I can see for the date range (30/6 to 3/7) F and A is pretty wide open.

Downunderflyer - gee sounds like we must be related by our handles! I guess I'm a stickler for not breaching the T&C's, so I won't go looking for a long lost relative.
Old Jun 8, 10, 4:32 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
This may sound a bit DYKWIA, but I'd consider mentioning you're BUYING a revenue ticket on the same flight. Just mention to them casually that you may have to cancel your revenue ticket as you'll have to book the journey on another carrier...

If they still say 'no', then cancel your other ticket on the same phone call and see how they like it.
Old Jun 10, 10, 3:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Gold, Honors Gold, Accor Gold
Not sure about QF but with most call centres they do log a summary of the call against the persons profile so that any agent can look back and see what was done on previous phone calls etc.

I know that NZ makes these notes on an individual booking basis. I recently had some trouble with an upgrade request on an NZ flight at BNE and they printed out 3 pages to give to me which showed every action and query I had made on the booking since it was first made, including those made through the call centre with associated notes.

I imagine airlines have extremely complex CRM software.

Last edited by NZ_Flyer; Jun 11, 10 at 3:02 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 11, 10, 12:21 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
I imagine airlines have extremely complext CRM software.
Complex is correct. Potent is a different issue.
Old Jun 11, 10, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Leumas - I was trying to purchase the paid ticket at the same time from the same person and made it clear I would only get the paid ticket if I got the FF one. They didn't seem to care.

Anyway, I ended up seeing CX J frequent flyer availability come up, so Mrs Asiaflyer and Asiaflyer Jnr are now ticketed CX J on points. I just need to purchase my own ticket (still deciding - I can get D class SYD-HKG, or save $1500 and get I class which requires another stop past HKG with the added bonus of getting some extra points/SC). Mrs Asiaflyer of course is not supportive of the second option.

So conclusion, QF have missed out on filling 2 F seats.
Old Jun 11, 10, 3:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Gold, Honors Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by asiaflyer View Post
I just need to purchase my own ticket (still deciding - I can get D class SYD-HKG, or save $1500 and get I class which requires another stop past HKG with the added bonus of getting some extra points/SC). Mrs Asiaflyer of course is not supportive of the second option.
But if Mrs Asiaflyer were to think that the second option was the only one available....