Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Advise please: Where to move [AA, BA?] when I hit Life Gold

Advise please: Where to move [AA, BA?] when I hit Life Gold

Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by madrooster
The only problem with that is I've had the QF system bump me out of my allocated seat if my seat was in a reserved zone for whatever status if done before check in.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not aware of BA doing that. Putting QF number in will avoid the fee for seat selection. Once seat selection is done, should then be able to put the AA in without an issue. One thing to consider is to make sure to do both AA and BA for removing and ading the AA number
Thanks madrooster and Dave Noble - as Dave noted it is in the BA and AA system that I would be swapping the numbers, and (unlike what might have happened if I did it on a QF booking in the QF system, as you state madrooster) I am glad to say that Dave was right: I have swapped FF numbers in both the BA and AA systems and all my previous seat assignments have remained.

So hopefully that is all now sorted!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
Just keep an eye on your seat assignment to ensure you don't get bumped - BA and QF do both use the same Amadeus platform.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just keep an eye on your seat assignment to ensure you don't get bumped - BA and QF do both use the same Amadeus platform.
Sapphire members get access to the same seats that regular passengers do iirc on BA, the only difference is that non status members have to pay for seat assignment

I know that unless something like an aeroplane change occurring, that on AA, the seat assignment selected whilst holding status will stay even once status is lost. If a change of aeroplane occurs ( or similar ) then all seat assignments are thrown up in the air
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H

LucK may have something to do with it!

I had an ongoing battle with QF and my wife's (SG) seating allocations beside me after AA split our bookings on an xONEx fare for some reason.

I'd get a request put in to 'seating' for her to be allocated beside me, this would occur only for her seating to be reassigned/disappear some weeks later.

Wash, rinse, repeat ...

Also see this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-shifters.html
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by serfty
LucK may have something to do with it!

Wash, rinse, repeat ...
Thanks, I'll keep a close eye on it! All looking fine so far, but I'll continue to watch it all very carefully.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:03 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Nope, they don't. They use two different AMADEUS systems. You can figure it out that Flights with QF and BA Segments have usually two Filekeys: One for BA and one for QF. Usually you can assign seats with the corresponding Filekeys in each website.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:11 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Nope, they don't. They use two different AMADEUS systems. You can figure it out that Flights with QF and BA Segments have usually two Filekeys: One for BA and one for QF. Usually you can assign seats with the corresponding Filekeys in each website.
Really? Maybe it used to be that way, but a couple of weeks ago I flew BA and QF on a single ticket, and it was same PNR for both BA and QF -- I just checked to confirm this, so definitely the same filekey. Seats were visible and assignable on both ba.com and Qantas.com so it looked pretty seamless. I used ba.com to change the Qantas.com initial seat assignment and all was well. Both seemed to work equally well and I didn't notice any anomalies, but I wasn't looking for problems.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Generally with a QF booking including codeshares on BA metal, two Amadeus PNR's are generated. Those seat selections for BA metal flights are best done with the BA PNR.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:32 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by serfty
Generally with a QF booking including codeshares on BA metal, two Amadeus PNR's are generated. Those seat selections for BA metal flights are best done with the BA PNR.
Likewise a BA booking with a codeshare on QF metal will generate two Amadeus PNR's (have just completed one).
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Whilst I agree with the two file keys reference in your post, you do realise Amadeus is effectively one monolithic platform hosted by Amadeus itself? It might be divided up between customers, but it's still the same platform. It's also the reason why QF and BA can see each others bookings as long as the appropriate PNR is given.

It's also effectively a single website but with customisations/configurations around each individual customer (eg QF).
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Whilst I agree with the two file keys reference in your post, you do realise Amadeus is effectively one monolithic platform hosted by Amadeus itself? It might be divided up between customers, but it's still the same platform. It's also the reason why QF and BA can see each others bookings as long as the appropriate PNR is given.

It's also effectively a single website but with customisations/configurations around each individual customer (eg QF).
Even more complicated - Amadeus uses more than one Platform:

ALTEA is more than a distribution system. QF is one of the Key customers of the ALTEA Suite.
http://www.amadeus.com/airlineit/sol...ol_1altea.html

Not all Airlines use the same modules of the ALTEA Suite, some use the just the classic distribution system.

http://www.amadeus.com/airlinedistribution/index.html

The main issue of an E-Ticket and an reservation system is that it is common between the partnering airlines:
- Be careful ticketing and reservation systems are two different parts!
- Airlines with Interline Agreements should have the possibility to access reservations and tickets!
This is the main feature of network carriers in contrast to Low Cost Carriers.
These use standalone reservation and ticketing systems (like http://www.navitaire.com/). These offer limited connectivity to other systems.

OK if an reservation covers two different reservation systems they are usually held in both systems: LX and LH is a classic example. LH uses Amadeus and LX uses AxRes (old system but LX likes it). So Reservations in both systems are created - usually you get two filekeys. Problems come up if you change one reservation and the change is not copied to the other one. For example: You can access the Amadeus Reservation of an LX flight and set a seat reservation on the LH-Homepage in the Amadeus System. You get it confirmed, but the LX System simply ignores it! Even worse are those shadow systems that cover Low-Cost Carriers! Connecting a GDS to a LCC is like making a pig flying, but they try it everyday!

To our BA/QF Example: Both use two different Amadeus Systems (IIRC QF has the latest system with all the bells and whistles). The twin PNR work quite good: One filekey for BA flights and the other one for QF flights.

My last flights were in November 2012 - things can change quite fast.

If BA would migrate to the same system - that would be obsolete.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I'm well aware of all of this, but on this occasion we are talking about the GDS and not the PSS.

I'm probably a little more aware of Navitare than you may think.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I'm well aware of all of this, but on this occasion we are talking about the GDS and not the PSS.

I'm probably a little more aware of Navitare than you may think.
Oh! I am sorry for you! Really!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.