Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcano disruptions thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by og
I can't see why they should get dispensation. Surely QF can plan accordingly - or perhaps even sit around in SIN waiting for the suitable landing slot in SYD.
I personally think that SYD (or whoever is responsible) should do the same as German authorties did - simply lift the night flying ban temporarily.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by vbroucek
I personally think that SYD (or whoever is responsible) should do the same as German authorties did - simply lift the night flying ban temporarily.
Aircraft are not banned from flying 24 hours into SYD. It is just that there is a very very high fee for landings between 2300 and 0600 (with some allowed in from 0500). Airlines choose not to operate in those hours for obvious reasons.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:32 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by og
Aircraft are not banned from flying 24 hours into SYD. It is just that there is a very very high fee for landings between 2300 and 0600 (with some allowed in from 0500). Airlines choose not to operate in those hours for obvious reasons.
According to AIP DAP, YSSY has indeed curfew between 2300 and 0600 (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/...SYNA02-101.pdf & http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/...SYNA03-110.pdf) and there are actually additional restrictions. All this is subject to substantial fines. JetStar was the first airline fined for the breach - A$148,500 for a single breach.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:40 am

I've just arrived at SIN on the BA15 from LHR - QF 32 is now showing as leaving here at 2100 local.

The comments quoted above from one of the passengers are very much what the mood was like at LHR from the passengers off QF32 - they were very unhappy, although the Qantas rep I spoke to just said that the captain was unhappy to fly, didn't quote a reason. I think people may have been jumping to conclusions, although I wasn't on the flight so don't know what they were told at the time.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
According to AIP DAP, YSSY has indeed curfew between 2300 and 0600 (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/...SYNA02-101.pdf & http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/...SYNA03-110.pdf) and there are actually additional restrictions. All this is subject to substantial fines. JetStar was the first airline fined for the breach - A$148,500 for a single breach.
That's the regulation ...
Originally Posted by og
That's the reality ...
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum One, QF LT platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite Lifetime Titanium, Accor Platinum
Finally Land Back in Sydney on QF18 this evening 22/4 (AEST)

After leaving London early Monday morning (GMT) and travelling for just on 100hrs I arrived back in Sydney this evening 22/4 (AEST) aboard QF18 from Buenos Aires. The London (Eurostar) Paris (Europcar) Madrid (Iberia) Buenos Aires (Qantas) Sydney routing cost and additional $A1,500 (London (Eurostar) Paris (Hire Car) Madrid). Under the current circumstances this has and will continue to be a reasonably cost effective way to get back to Australia. Aside from this just to see the family was worth every $.

All the best to everyone still looking to extract themselves out of London and/or other parts of Europe.

Of interest are the following details on the Qantas FAQ's relevant to those who were delayed out of London and/or Frankfurt with flights that have been cancelled.

Source: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...ions/global/en

What about customers with expenses as a result of the flight disruptions?
Customers are understandably anxious about the costs incurred due to flight disruptions. For passengers affected by flight disruptions who have not been placed in Qantas accommodation, Qantas will reimburse expenses for accommodation, meals and incidentals accompanied by receipt of up to AU$300 per day per booking. Bookings of more than three passengers may be supplemented up to AU$100 per passenger per day. Claims will be processed by Customer Care - [email protected]. Qantas requests customers are patient in processing claims, due to the large number of passengers affected by the incident.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Welcome home, ChrisG. It sounds like hell of a trip, but you've made it much sooner than you otherwise would have done.

Originally Posted by ChrisG
Of interest are the following details on the Qantas FAQ's relevant to those who were delayed out of London and/or Frankfurt with flights that have been cancelled.

Source: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...ions/global/en

What about customers with expenses as a result of the flight disruptions?
Customers are understandably anxious about the costs incurred due to flight disruptions. For passengers affected by flight disruptions who have not been placed in Qantas accommodation, Qantas will reimburse expenses for accommodation, meals and incidentals accompanied by receipt of up to AU$300 per day per booking. Bookings of more than three passengers may be supplemented up to AU$100 per passenger per day. Claims will be processed by Customer Care - [email protected]. Qantas requests customers are patient in processing claims, due to the large number of passengers affected by the incident.
That's due to the EU 'care' regulations. At least, those passengers are the lucky ones.

I was reading some horror stories in the local paper about some European passengers from cancelled QF flights being charged inflated prices by hotel operators in Australia (either in Sydney or Melbourne, I can't remember which) because they could. I really do feel for them, especially because many insurance companies are refusing cover for it. Mine tried it even though it is covered under the policy wording.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Whilst that is true, NO aircraft will ever be refused permission to land during the "curfew".

Dave
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by anat0l
In short, this still doesn't answer what the hell CASA needs to let QF get out of Europe (or into Australia), unless it's old No News back to it's mis-reporting tricks.
CASA is the regulator for all VH- registered aircraft.

Dave
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Whilst some people may have been charged inflated prices for rooms by hotels in Sydney or Melbourne, my own browsing of Wotif over the past few days has shown hotel rooms at what I would think were reasonable prices.

Last edited by rick253; Apr 22, 2010 at 4:25 pm
Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta
Whilst that is true, NO aircraft will ever be refused permission to land during the "curfew".

Dave
I did not say they would refuse landing, I just said that the curfew really exists and the breach can be subject to fine (up to 500k).

Considering how much QF already lost due the volcanic crisis, I do not think they would be risking couple of fines... ANother question of course is a/c positioning - each extra flight or flight out of normal schedule causes enormous logistical problem with knock on effect. That, IMHO, might also be reason why they originally planned to resume on Friday - that way they would have exactly 7 days without flying and would go straight back to normal logistics...
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: CX Gold, BA Bronze, Marriott Silver
Hello,

Regarding CASA and the delay out of LHR; as all Qantas aircraft are registered in Australia and subsequently regulated by CASA they must adhere to CASA regulations regardless of the country of departure. Whilst foreign aviation authorities can impose mandates and restrictions on Qantas operations from their country (i.e. a ban on all flying), it is ultimately CASA that Qantas must abide by. Similarly, Qantas cabin crew and pilots are trained to and must abide by CASA requirements regardless of their country of basing and departure.

QFA380
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:10 am

Not happy with the whole Qantas flying experience. Both long haul on way to and from Sydney from the UK were late departing one 50 min the other 1.5 hours. Had part way with BA who were really bad to fly with - poor quality of food - we were served stale bread and crossoints with breakfast and staff lied when i asked for snacks was told there were not any - to only see the staff sitting there with a huge basket of crisps, and chocolates which were not offered to customers on the flight i have never been starved on a flight before.

We were returned to the UK 10 days after the scheduled flight due to volcano erupting and causing closure of airspace. Qantas ground staff were very rude when i was trying to be polite as possible and told me they would not be paying for anything - food accomodation etc. I feel the airline should take care of us better; So i get back and now it says on their website that they will provide up to $300 AUD a day for accomodation and food. Not happy about being lied to. they also had told us they would contact us to get us on a sooner flight and we have had no contact whatsoever.

I have always had high expectations of qantas and feel more than a little ripped off with my whole adventure.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Hardly QF fault if the BA experience was bad. BA food has been known to be poor lately. You don't say what class you were in, but sounds like staff were eating food from Club Kitchen (business class) or possibly their own supplies they brought themselves.

If QF are now offering to pay expenses then send in receipts and get them paid retrospectively. I doubt they lied to you, more like a decision was made/changed later. WRT getting on an earlier flight, IME if you really need to get on a flight, you should go to the airport and try to get on standby, otherwise sit back and relax and wait till it works itself out.

While you had a number of niggling issues, overall this sounds like just general air travel - sometimes its smooth and great, sometimes not.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
I thought it was policy to treat the English shabbily whilst they hold the "Ashes".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.