Wiki Posts
Search

Volcano disruptions thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by og
Update: In-laws get a free ticket back to Oz in a couple of days time and the full value of their original ticket is held as credit for resuming their trip at a later stage. QF would agree to paying one (only) extra hotel night in HKG.

Disappointing, but nicely handled in a stressful time. Full credit to QF booking centre staff for allowing a WP (me) to ask and arrange on behalf of the in-laws and for their calm attitude when - no doubt- everyone is very stressed.
Very glad to hear QF did the nice thing for your in-laws.

I need the name of the agent who handled your enquiry. That's a far better outcome than for this WP who will be stuck mid-trip.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum One, QF LT platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite Lifetime Titanium, Accor Platinum
Getting out of the UK

NATS have extended restrictions on flights in and out of the UK until at least 1900 GMT 18/4. It looks as though this will be extended until 0100 GMT 19/4 based on a 0900 GMT review.

Qantas have cancelled the majority of flights out of the UK through until Monday. So after spending a few hours online I've secured the following bookings:

Monday 19/4

Eurostar - 9014 London St Pancras - Paris Nord (Eurostar have put on an additional 8 services)
Elipsos TrenHotel Train Paris to Madrid (To Be Confirmed)

Tuesday 20/4

IB6845 Madrid - Buenos Aires

Wednesday 21/4

QF18 Buenos Aires - Sydney

Assuming Madrid remains open and I can get a ticket on the Paris to Madrid train I should end up back in Sydney on Thursday 22/4 at 1750..

It is worth noting that Qantas took my unused LHR-SYD sector from Thursday's cancelled QF2 sector and moved it to the QF18 service.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by ChrisG
It is worth noting that Qantas took my unused LHR-SYD sector from Thursday's cancelled QF2 sector and moved it to the QF18 service.
Was that your outbound/first leg of the trip, and which call centre did you speak to, because I am not having any luck whatsoever having my flight re-routed. I'd love to speak to the one that changed QF2 to QF18.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:12 am

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Was that your outbound/first leg of the trip, and which call centre did you speak to, because I am not having any luck whatsoever having my flight re-routed. I'd love to speak to the one that changed QF2 to QF18.
I have taken a leaf out of Shillard's book.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum One, QF LT platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite Lifetime Titanium, Accor Platinum
LTN Phobia - My outbound sector was QF1 on Wednesday 7/4 and was supposed to return on QF2 on Thursday 15/2. Not sure who I was speaking with on the Premium Desk. In my dealings with the QF Call Centre over the last few days I have found them all to be easy to work with.'

Good luck on getting things changed.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
The volcanic ash cloud from Iceland is currently spread acoss the UK. Based on the latest information from the Met Office, NATS advises that the restrictions currently in place across UK controlled airspace will remain in place until at least 0100 (local time) tomorrow, Monday 19 April.

There may be limited opportunity in Orkney and Shetland from 1900 (local time) today for some flights to operate under individual coordination with ATC. However, it is most unlikely that many flights will operate today and anyone hoping to travel should contact their airline before travelling to the airport.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and review our arrangements in line with that. We will advise further arrangements at approximately 1500 (local time), toda
http://www.nats.co.uk/
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Can confirm that all the special flights (ie QF 8001/8009 etc) are locked seat-maps, no OLCI and all seat allocations done by airport control.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisG
LTN Phobia - My outbound sector was QF1 on Wednesday 7/4 and was supposed to return on QF2 on Thursday 15/2. Not sure who I was speaking with on the Premium Desk. In my dealings with the QF Call Centre over the last few days I have found them all to be easy to work with.'

Good luck on getting things changed.
Thank you ChrisG. I have managed to get things changed now, thanks to a lovely lady I spoke to at QF Premium Desk.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:40 pm

Flight restrictions extended until 7pm Monday 19th (BST)

Based on the latest information from the Met Office, NATS advises that the current restrictions across UK controlled airspace due to the volcanic ash cloud will remain in place until at least 1900 (local) on Monday 19 April.
Also Qantas has now extended the change waiver: 15 April to 30 April 2010

Thank you ChrisG. I have managed to get things changed now, thanks to a lovely lady I spoke to at QF Premium Desk.
Thats good. It's stupid though when different people will do different things. Where's the consistency in that? (Although I was treated well with my rebook... did take over 30 mins to get done though!).
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:01 am

Programs: QFF
Qantas has traffic rights to Rome and Athens that currently aren't being used don't they?
Why can't they fly their EU bound pax to Southern Europe, then get them onto busses/trains to Frankfurt and London? Surely that would be better then losing $1.5 million/day.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:10 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Himeno
Qantas has traffic rights to Rome and Athens that currently aren't being used don't they?
Why can't they fly their EU bound pax to Southern Europe, then get them onto busses/trains to Frankfurt and London? Surely that would be better then losing $1.5 million/day.
But they can't guarantee that FCO and MAD will stay open.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:26 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Assuming they do, they do not have ground service arrangements in place (check in, baggage handling, catering, cleaning etc), so it would not be a simple exercise to just fly to these airports. Then there is a risk of more pax being stranded somewhere or having to turn back if those airports are closed.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:33 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Assuming they do, they do not have ground service arrangements in place (check in, baggage handling, catering, cleaning etc), so it would not be a simple exercise to just fly to these airports. Then there is a risk of more pax being stranded somewhere or having to turn back if those airports are closed.
They could contract whoever BA uses (It isn't like BA is using those services at the moment). They also have plans to restart service to southern europe with JQ 787s (whenever those arrive). I'd have thought that they would have already been talking to someone at FCO and ATH for when they the 787s.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal

Thats good. It's stupid though when different people will do different things. Where's the consistency in that? (Although I was treated well with my rebook... did take over 30 mins to get done though!).
I got through nearly immediately on all of my calls but the lack of consistency was really bad. It's funny you lose some and win some - I did certainly win on the lack of waiting to have my calls answered
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:36 am

They could contract whoever BA uses (It isn't like BA is using those services at the moment). They also have plans to restart service to southern europe with JQ 787s (whenever those arrive). I'd have thought that they would have already been talking to someone at FCO and ATH for when they the 787s.
I believe JQ has been looking at operating to Rome on A330 until 787s are delivered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.