FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   LAX TBIT Arrivals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1072927-lax-tbit-arrivals.html)

wijomas Apr 10, 2010 9:30 pm

LAX TBIT Arrivals

Whenever I've landed at TBIT, I've pretty much just ignored anything and everything and headed straight to immigration. However, this time I'll be waiting for someone coming in on a different flight at around the same time.

Ideally, I'd like to wait before immigration so that I can try to take the other person down the APEC lane with me to avoid the mess. Is there anywhere to sit or wait prior to immigration in TBIT (preferably that won't p*ss off any authorities demanding that I keep moving)?

Kiwi Flyer Apr 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Not that I can recall. Besides which how do you know both your flights will be on time (neither early nor late)?

wijomas Apr 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 13747948)
how do you know both your flights will be on time (neither early nor late)?

I'm hoping for the impossible. :rolleyes:

number_6 Apr 10, 2010 9:59 pm

The Apec card isn't like a FF card with guest privileges; your friend must have their own APEC card in order to use the Apec lanes. Now some airports often allow people to use facilities that they aren't entitled to, and jump the queue, but LAX does not. TBIT is famous for selecting queue jumpers for secondary inspection, so it may add a few hours rather than saving time. Also, there isn't any waiting area at TBIT prior to exiting customs, and loitering does attract profiling.

You might want to rethink this plan and do something more reasonable.

eoinnz Apr 10, 2010 10:08 pm

From memory there are a seats near the toilets before you clear immigration.

I think it's very nice of you to wait for your friend, but there is absolutely nothing to do and there is a video on repeat about US Customs that will probably do your head in.

I would wait on the other side at a cafe, and depending on what time your friend gets in, and where they are seated on the aircraft, it might not actually take that long. TBIT customs and immigration can be relatively fast.

Mabuk dan gila Apr 10, 2010 10:17 pm

I'd think CBP would figure you were lost and send someone to yell and shout at you the whole time. But then again, even if you kept moving there would still be someone assigned to yell and shout at you.;)

wijomas Apr 10, 2010 10:23 pm

I've entered LAX via TBIT many times and used the APEC lane successfully each time when travelling either alone or with one other person. One time I was asked if we were family (which we were, but I don't see how that relates to "business" travel...) - but never sent for secondary screening or to the back of the main queue.

But yes, I'm aware technically this isn't one of the benefits of the APEC card, and that it is at the officers' discretion. I've found that the officers on the crew/apec/diplomatic lane always seem to be friendlier than those in the normal queues - no doubt since they haven't had the day's stress of painful passengers that the other officers have had!

Thanks all - I figure if there isn't anywhere dedicated to sit for more than a brief stop, then they don't want you hanging around. I guess I'll wait outside and hope my friend clears immigration in a timely manner. :rolleyes:

Storyteller Apr 11, 2010 3:42 am

[QUOTE=eoinnz;13748038]From memory there are a seats near the toilets before you clear immigration.QUOTE]

Given that we are told on the flight that the tsa doesn't like us congregating anywhere on the plane & especially not near the toilets, ....... I figure you're just asking for their special attention (and for the next few years) by loitering near these toilets! :D

The Daily Grill upstairs at TBIT works as a place to loiter longer, but then you probably already know that, and doesn't help with the Apec lane assistance you are wanting to extend.