Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF mileage run for status credits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:17 am
Original Poster

QF mileage run for status credits

Need to attain 100 status credits in next 3 weeks to maintain my silver status. Any ideas on most cost and time effective way of achieving this? I am sydney based, Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:58 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
SYD-AKL-SYD in J on LA is generally the most cost effective and the awkward flight time is not so bad if you are SYD based. You could even fly Y to AKL and just the LA flight in J back to SYD if you only need 100 SC.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 4:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even doing that will cost around $500. If most travel is on QF, I would suggest that spending the money on a Qantas Club membership might well be better value than trying to buy a silver card. I wouldn't spend too much money trying to get the remaining 33% of the SCs needed for Silver unless u have some plans for next membership year for which it will be specifically beneficial for

Dave
Old Mar 28, 2010, 4:47 am

sorry to hijack a thread but I figure there are about four million of these ones. MY SO may need some extra status credits so I came up with the following to retain platinum.

Does the following seem like good value?

Now the routing I came up with would cost $3 AUD a status credit which I think this is good value, using instant upgrade fares on AA and also including the positing flight.

Although the crazy person inside me did do the calculations to see how much it would cost to get to LTG !!!, and the sad part is that I thought of the cost before how terrible it would be spend 20 days flying the same route on AA first!!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:09 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I would agree that a turnaround to AKL on LAN would be the best way to get the SC required for the cheapest price and time commitment, but I also agree with Dave Noble - Silver is not really worth a lot of extra effort(heck I am one, and it isn't worth it! ). If you needed 100 to get gold, then yes I'd consider the LA run because you get something tangible for Gold, but Silver.. well.. I guess it's up to you if you value it worth the effort to get the SC's.

AT any rate I see it was your first post to FT janeblogs - so Welcome!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Originally Posted by babs
sorry to hijack a thread but I figure there are about four million of these ones. MY SO may need some extra status credits so I came up with the following to retain platinum.

Does the following seem like good value?

Now the routing I came up with would cost $3 AUD a status credit which I think this is good value, using instant upgrade fares on AA and also including the positing flight.

Although the crazy person inside me did do the calculations to see how much it would cost to get to LTG !!!, and the sad part is that I thought of the cost before how terrible it would be spend 20 days flying the same route on AA first!!
Hi babs -your routing didn't seem to post, at least on my browser. Try again?
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

THanks so much for your ideas. I actually have a paid QF Club membership so that is not an issue and I used to fly enough to easily meet silver but not quite gold although if ever I am close again I will do a mileage run.

However, the reason I have decided to make the effort is the added extras that are starting to kick in with silver and above. For example, with the new luggage restrictions and security changes I have found my silver membership to be really helpful. Coming in from NYC recently I was able to bring two bags instead of one, the seating preference etc are better and when a flight gets cancelled or changed, my needs are actually taken into consideration so it has been working for me!

Many thanks to all.

Originally Posted by RichardMEL
I would agree that a turnaround to AKL on LAN would be the best way to get the SC required for the cheapest price and time commitment, but I also agree with Dave Noble - Silver is not really worth a lot of extra effort(heck I am one, and it isn't worth it! ). If you needed 100 to get gold, then yes I'd consider the LA run because you get something tangible for Gold, but Silver.. well.. I guess it's up to you if you value it worth the effort to get the SC's.

AT any rate I see it was your first post to FT janeblogs - so Welcome!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 4:56 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The extra baggage allowance benefit for Silver is quite generous and can be worth a lot of money at times. For example USA-Oz you get an extra bag of 32kg (for a total of 96kg of checked baggage). Do that once a month and you have over thousand dollars of benefit. And the best part is that both AA and AS honour the QF benefit for connecting flights (so you avoid baggage fees on the domestic US flights as long as it is connecting to QF).
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:14 pm

good points about baggage - I didn't even consider that as I hardly ever travel with checked bags these days(but that's for other reasons). If it works for you then it's worth it, so say g'day to our kiwi friends I think!!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Next three weeks?

With that I assume you will not be able to travel the last 10 days or so of April.

In any case the AKL-SYD flight on LAN departs at 05:50 and costs AUD284. That's 80 SC's, but you problably need to file for the points/SC's. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...an-flight.html)

A one way SYD-AKL in April will cost from AUD250.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:07 pm

That's so amazingly cheap. I wish i was in SYD and I'd do a couple of them and make Gold easy lol
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:38 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
That's so amazingly cheap. I wish i was in SYD and I'd do a couple of them and make Gold easy lol
You could nest a LA return ex-AKL within a trip from MEL for not much.

Day 1 cheapie one-way MEL-AKL. O/n in AKL.
Day 2 LA J return ex-AKL, followed by AKL-MEL one-way or return if setting up for another round.

2 days, not much $ and 200 SCs. Easy.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:46 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Next three weeks?

With that I assume you will not be able to travel the last 10 days or so of April.

In any case the AKL-SYD flight on LAN departs at 05:50 and costs AUD284. That's 80 SC's, but you problably need to file for the points/SC's. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...an-flight.html)

A one way SYD-AKL in April will cost from AUD250.
How are you pricing these flights so cheaply, serfty? I assume you are talking about J flights as you're refer to earning 80Scs. I'm getting nowhere near these amounts when I try and price the flights.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:48 am

Programs: QFF Gold, SQ Krisflyer
I do recall reading about a SC run on QF / Air Pacific business class with routing via Melbourne. Is that still around and considered good value?
Can someone send me link to the thread?
Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:54 am

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by kpc
How are you pricing these flights so cheaply, serfty? I assume you are talking about J flights as you're refer to earning 80Scs. I'm getting nowhere near these amounts when I try and price the flights.
I think you will find serfty quoting one-way fare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.