Community
Wiki Posts
Search

mixed class booking?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

mixed class booking?

Does anyone here know if Qantas allows one to make a mixed-class booking, specifically business outbound, premium economy return?

Thanks for any guidance.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:14 pm

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Privilege Elite, Velocity Platinum
Yes, but not online
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:03 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by bugayev
Yes, but not online
I tried with a travel agent and they said QF told them no.
Strange I always thought that they could choose what fare class etc.

Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
QF have always told me that the answer is no (with the exception, if I remember right, if its a full-fare booking). I was once told indeed by QF that "BA do that, we don't".
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Privilege Elite, Velocity Platinum
I have a mixed class booking to singapore, economy out premium back, was absolutely no problem at all.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by bugayev
I have a mixed class booking to singapore, economy out premium back, was absolutely no problem at all.
Interesting, as (as I say) have been told over the phone more than once by QF that 'they don't do this'.

How did you book it exactly (in which country)? Are the fares fully-flexible ones or regular ones?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
Interesting, as (as I say) have been told over the phone more than once by QF that 'they don't do this'.

How did you book it exactly (in which country)? Are the fares fully-flexible ones or regular ones?
I rang my travel agent (Jetset) here in Melbourne and asked her to book it.

If I recall correctly we originally booked them both in economy then paid the difference to bring the other leg up to premium.

It's M outbound, R inbound so not fully flexible in either case.

I have to admit though she has often managed to "do the impossible" so may have a great contact in QF who is willing to bend the rules.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:08 pm

Thanks bugayev, great info.

What you have done is exactly what I wanted to do just a few weeks ago but that QF told me was totally impossible: paying cash to upgrade one sector of an already paid-for Disc. Economy itin./ticket. (Have tried to book at Y one way Y+ on the way back in the past too and they would not do that either, so just booked in on BA via their website).

So either the people at QF ticketing and QF Premium don't know they are talking about (which is all too believable), or you indeed have a miracle worker of a TA !
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:53 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Not related to Y or Y+ as the OP is asking, but BA had a "special" last year with travel in Biz from SYD to a Euro City and return in First (or vice versa). Biz and the Euro sectors booked into I and the First booked into A. My TA had to be told about it (info gleaned originally from BestFlights) and then had no problems by directly liaising with BA.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:05 pm

QF have no qualms about processing a mixed booking for redemptions. I have a redemption coming up which was booked into X one way, Z the other. I then changed it to Z one way, U the other, without any problems, just the 2500 points fee.

If they're so happy to do it for redemptions, it's surprising that they won't for cash. My TA has quoted me up mixed fares for QF/AA before without any issues (QF T class and low-fare Y/AA F). Maybe he was doing it based on segment pricing and it wouldn't have ticketed if he tried to book it.

The joys of the airline industry at work...
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:38 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
...and not to be confused with other (OW) carriers who offer a "mixed-class" to Europe: OZ-SEA-OZ in Y, SEA-EUR-SEA in J.

BD
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

The official word from Qantas is that it is not possible to mix classes.

It seems strange to me that the airline would want to turn down extra revenue, as I'll now end up booking premium economy return rather than business one way and premium eco the other way.

Also, other airlines definitely allow this, and some (NZ if I recall correctly) even facilitate it on their websites.

Oh well.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by prof
It seems strange to me that the airline would want to turn down extra revenue, as I'll now end up booking premium economy return rather than business one way and premium eco the other way.

Also, other airlines definitely allow this, and some (NZ if I recall correctly) even facilitate it on their websites.

Oh well.
Totally with you.

Seems so amazingly shortsighted of QF - for e.g. BA must make SO much cash from the 'casual' upgraders... you book in Y on their website, and on the payment page it says 'upgrade one way for £70 (etc)' and people think, yeah, why not (for all manner of reasons). And even once you have booked they will often still offer you (online when you go into your booking at any point, even just before online check-in) a deal for a one-way up, which again tempts more than a few.

Yet QF won't even take your money if you chase them and ask them (even beg them!) to do it ! Sheer financial stupidity, especially in the current environment, as far as I am concerned. (The logic behind their decision, that by not offering it people will book the whole trip in the higher cabin, simply does not work - never did, and certainly does not right now).

Which all makes bugayev's case so very interesting - could you please PM me the name and contact details of the person at JetSet who has done this for you please bugayev, cos I would love to see if they could do the same for me too ! (Seriously, please PM me).

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Mar 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Agreed. In this case certainly, roundtrip in business is beyond the budget, but I could stretch to swing one way in business and the other in premium economy; not being able to combine classes means consolidating downwards rather than upwards, alas (for QF's marginal revenue and for me too!).
Old Feb 12, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
Just to bring up this topic again I was trying to do one way in J the other in Y+ on a booking made yesterday SYD/LAX/SYD on QF, and sure enough the TA said no but is going to looking into it more and see what can be done.
I guess QF are figuring what they lose from people booking in the lower grade on both legs, they will gain plus some for those that book the higher grade both ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.