Search

Birdstrike procedure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF
Birdstrike procedure

Hi,
I will ask on my next flight but I am just interested.....on my last Q400 QF flight GLT-BNE we hit birds while undertaking the take off roll. Naturally, still on the ground we returned ot the terminal. If we had been airborne and this aircraft type struck birds, would we have returned immediately to GLT or continued to BNE if cockpit instruments all showed normal?

Thanks
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:59 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I'd assume it depends on evidence of damage, instruments showing problems, size of birds (if indeed the crew know they have hit something), aircraft still flying, whether or not the bird has come through the flight deck window, stage of flight or take-off, lots of things.

Was once on a CP 732 in transit at YZF and was interested in why the ground crew were fiddling with the leading edge flaps. We had collected a bird on landing and they were removing the remains and cleaning the metal as well as checking for damage. Although keenly gazing out of the window on landing, I missed the bird impact.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:48 pm
HW

Programs: QF LTG/WP, Various others = way too much flying
It depends on where it hit and what damage. Mrs HW and Miss HW were flying to Newcastle recently on Jetstar and hit a bird shortly after takeoff. She said there was a loud thump, but they continued to Newcastle where they cleaned the aircraft (and the captain's underpants).
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:33 pm

If there are no secondary (vibration, noise, displays) indications, then you'd just press on. They happen far more than you realise, but, of course, most are quite small, and it is rare to do any damage.

In 18,000 hours of flying, I've only ever landed once because of birdstrikes, but on that occasion, there were at least 12 (seagull sized) and one of the engines took the brunt of it. Still running though.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by HW
It depends on where it hit and what damage. (and the captain's underpants).
This comment is totally unnecessary and would be so far from the truth.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by HW
It depends on where it hit and what damage. Mrs HW and Miss HW were flying to Newcastle recently on Jetstar and hit a bird shortly after takeoff. She said there was a loud thump, but they continued to Newcastle where they cleaned the aircraft (and the captain's underpants).
Ah yes, but what if he/she had gone commando. Hopefully one of the birds that was hit wasn't San or Tray.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
This comment is totally unnecessary and would be so far from the truth.
It was also a subtle attempt at humour
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:36 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by drewbles
It was also a subtle attempt at humour
designate subtle attempts at humour
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
designate subtle attempts at humour
Ah do they designate subtle attempts, or can they also be used for overt glaringly obvious attempts? Can they be used in both situations? In fact you raise a very good question of emoticon etiquette!

PS. I do wish they would add a rofl emoticon to this board.

PPS. I didn't think he needed to add an emoticon as I think most of us brought up on Monty Python and/or in the UK got it.

PPPS. The above is not meant to be racist in anyway although it could be misconstrued as such.

PPPPS. There is no PPPPS.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:25 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by HW
and the captain's underpants.
but it is a correct use of an apostrophe..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.