Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

ABC Local Radio gives FlyerTalk a plug

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Location: Home of the 2001 & 2004 Rugby Super 12 Champions - the Brumbies (Canberra, ACT) and Australia's best ski resort (Thredbo, NSW)
Programs: QF SG (LT PS, 54% LT SG), Priority Club Gold

If anyone was up early this morning and listening to Overnights with Rod Quinn on ABC Local Radio they would have heard a few plugs for FT. Rod Quinn had a guest on talking about getting the most out of your frequent flyer scheme who mentioned FT as a good resource. Then after 5am, James Shugg of Westpac in London was giving his daily finance report and Rod Quinn asked him about frequent flyer schemes. He gave FT a huge plug and said it helped him get upgrades when the company was flying him economy.

So be prepared for an influx of ABC listeners onto the QF forum and hello to James Shugg, who gives a great market report and interesting bon mots on life in London and trainspotting in Tasmania
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:07 am

Where have you been all my flying life

Yes I am an ABC listner. and here I am
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:25 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by hessey
hessey, welcome to Flyertalk. Did you hear about us purely because of the ABC program?

May your stay here be productive.

Dave
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:37 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Well, I for one don't begrudge my 8 cents being spent in a good cause today!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:43 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Craigo
If anyone was up early this morning and listening to Overnights with Rod Quinn on ABC Local Radio they would have heard a few plugs for FT. Rod Quinn had a guest on talking about getting the most out of your frequent flyer scheme who mentioned FT as a good resource. Then after 5am, James Shugg of Westpac in London was giving his daily finance report and Rod Quinn asked him about frequent flyer schemes. He gave FT a huge plug and said it helped him get upgrades when the company was flying him economy.

So be prepared for an influx of ABC listeners onto the QF forum and hello to James Shugg, who gives a great market report and interesting bon mots on life in London and trainspotting in Tasmania
I didn't spot your post at the time Craigo, thanks for the kind words!

James S
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: QF LTSG; Accor, Starwood, IHG
No worries James. I listen in most mornings as I get up early to do bootcamp classes a couple of days a week. I find that both you and Mike Girardi give good, concise summaries and explain the technical economic/financial stuff well. I'd listen in on Saturdays too, if 2CN didn't have that fishing show on instead .

I suspected you were a Flyertalker when you once described flying back to London from the US via Madrid, so you could do a business class upgrade. ^ Some of the other flight plans also sounded a lot like mileage runs.

BTW if you're wondering why the different name, I've since changed my login to align it with the one I use on other forums.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:12 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
And I here I am thinking that James S was actually based on James Strong....the worst Qantas cost cutter.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by rugbyskier
I suspected you were a Flyertalker when you once described flying back to London from the US via Madrid, so you could do a business class upgrade. ^ Some of the other flight plans also sounded a lot like mileage runs.
Ah yes, IB from SFO-LHR via codeshare on AA to JFK, then IB to MAD and BA to LHR.

The business fare was similar to the available WT+ fare on BA, and half the price of CW. Loads of TPs too, 280 vs 120 on BA. So it was a TP run as well! That helped lock in Gold for another year so worth the extra travel time and less comfortable (but tolerable) seats as I was returning home into a weekend anyway.

James
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Craigo

Rod Quinn asked me about frequent flyer schemes again during today's finance report and we had essentially the same conversation about FT as we had nearly two and a half years ago... James
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: QF LTSG; Accor, Starwood, IHG
Originally Posted by James S
Rod Quinn asked me about frequent flyer schemes again during today's finance report and we had essentially the same conversation about FT as we had nearly two and a half years ago... James
Heard it James. I reckon Randy should be paying you a spotter's fee for the giant plug for FT on our national broadcaster. You even spelled out the URL ^

The things you hear when you're getting ready for an early morning bootcamp class.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rugbyskier
.. I reckon Randy should be paying you a spotter's fee for the giant plug for FT on our national broadcaster. ...
As Randy has nothing to do with ownership or operation of FT I doubt it.
Now a spotter fee from Randy for MP may be option.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:04 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by hessey
Originally Posted by thadocta
hessey, welcome to Flyertalk. Did you hear about us purely because of the ABC program?

May your stay here be productive.

Dave
Doesn't seem it became very productive.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by ELAL
Doesn't seem it became very productive.
Hahahahaha...

Cheers,

AG. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.