Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Changes to Qantas Trans-Tasman Schedule

Old Feb 26, 10, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold

Sydney-Christchurch

767-300 services cease with effect end April 2010. A new daily 737-800 service will commence Saturday 1 May.

SYD/CHC 0715L/1220L QF45 73H
CHC/SYD 1325L/1450L QF46 73H

Sydney-Auckland

Removal of all 767-300 flying, and introduction of further 737-800 services with effect Saturday 1 May.

SYD/AKL 0925L/1430L QF55 73H
AKL/SYD 1545L/1725L QF56 73H

SYD/AKL 1820L/2325L QF49 73H
AKL/SYD 0615L/0755L QF50 73H

Cheers
Old Feb 26, 10, 8:19 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
Great news, how long until all the old 737-400s are replaced by 737-800s?
Old Feb 26, 10, 10:40 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Great news, how long until all the old 737-400s are replaced by 737-800s?
Um sorry how is that great news?
Give me a 767 without IFE anyday over a 73H

I take it they are going to use some non-ptv domestic 73H to fill the gap?
Old Feb 27, 10, 1:32 am

Programs: QF SG, AA Plat
I'm glad i got my SYD-CHC J award in before this changed and it's also good to see QF is staying with CHC - i honestly expected them to drop it.
Old Feb 27, 10, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I'm glad i got my SYD-CHC J award in before this changed and it's also good to see QF is staying with CHC - i honestly expected them to drop it.
Expect CHC-SYD will go the Jetstar sooner than later. Air NZ is a better product for business travel so down gauging the aircraft will not help QF.

As QF have been reducing services to CHC over the last few years, for the first time in 15 years my easter trip to CHC will be on Air NZ both ways. Often did CHC-SYD (QF46) - MEL on the return but not this year (price)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 27, 10 at 2:19 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 27, 10, 1:46 am

I'm booked in August... So hopefully not before then - But if it does, QF and AA can work out how to get me to CHC in J

I went to change my seats and notice the August flights are still showing a 763 and still have U4 on some of them. With 12 seats i'm guessing that'll vanish.
Old Feb 27, 10, 2:20 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
It is sad to see that there will be no real aircraft across the ditch from QF anymore.
Old Feb 27, 10, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
I remember doing QF43/QF44 in 743 ... and QF25 in business from both BNE and MEL.

Having done about 12 TT on AirNZ with space+ seating in the last six months (no C as yet) - it really it [email protected] on Qantas' offering.

Note that on a QF 737, in WHY, row 4 or exits are as good as it gets; 18 seats - with Space+, AirNZ on their 320's have 48 such seats.
Old Feb 27, 10, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty View Post
I remember doing QF43/QF44 in 743 ... and QF25 in business from both BNE and MEL.

Having done about 12 TT on AirNZ with space+ seating in the last six months (no C as yet) - it really it [email protected] on Qantas' offering.

Note that on a QF 737, in WHY, row 4 or exits are as good as it gets; 18 seats - with Space+, AirNZ on their 320's have 48 such seats.
Same here. My trips to CHC used to be MEL-AKL QF25 (747 A330) which left at a sociable hour and I never failed an upgrade on points and then QF AKL-CHC. So now its Air NZ or JQ. Most have been Air NZ space +. Also flown DJ MEL-CHC and paid extra for an exit row.
Old Feb 27, 10, 4:08 pm

Since we're .....ing about QF in NZ...

We're doing PER-SYD-CHC, but only because it's an award. The hour connect worries me a bit and doing NZ PER-AKL-DUD (where i actually want to be but QF doesn't go) is much easier.

Unfortunately doing PER-NZ South via any carrier is an evil redeye unless you split it with a night on the east coast.

I've always wondered why QF doesn't do PER-NZ. Back in the good old days we used to do it on BA but now it's just AirNZ.
Old Feb 27, 10, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since we're .....ing about QF in NZ...

We're doing PER-SYD-CHC, but only because it's an award. The hour connect worries me a bit and doing NZ PER-AKL-DUD (where i actually want to be but QF doesn't go) is much easier.

Unfortunately doing PER-NZ South via any carrier is an evil redeye unless you split it with a night on the east coast.

I've always wondered why QF doesn't do PER-NZ. Back in the good old days we used to do it on BA but now it's just AirNZ.
I would also be worried about a 1 hour connection from PER. As you are probably aware flight time from PER can vary depending on the wind. You have to get from the domestic terminal to the international terminal by the QF transfer bus (leaves opposite gate 1)

The Air NZ red eyes serve the fifo workers in the WA mining industry who live in NZ (google.com.au fifo for those who do not know what fifo means)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 27, 10 at 4:48 pm
Old Feb 27, 10, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
I would also be worried about a 1 hour connection from PER. As you are probally aware flight time from PER can vary depending on the wind.
Yeah, i'm aware of the risks - it's a single QF-QF ticket and we're just visiting family so it's not the end of the world if we misconnect.
Old Feb 28, 10, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by QF NB

SYD/AKL 1820L/2325L QF49 73H
AKL/SYD 0615L/0755L QF50 73H
I'm surprised they can't justify keeping the 763 on these services, Friday evenings SYD/AKL flight is often full (and I'd much rather a 763 than a 73H personally).
Old Feb 28, 10, 3:46 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
went to change my seats and notice the August flights are still showing a 763 and still have U4 on some of them. With 12 seats i'm guessing that'll vanish.
My Aug-2010 reservation on QF056 is also still showing 763 on Manage My Booking.
Old Feb 28, 10, 3:54 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
QF is not even doing ADL-NZ. Actually, they only serve 3 Australian ports out of AKL which isn't a lot.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
The Air NZ red eyes serve the fifo workers in the WA mining industry who live in NZ (google.com.au fifo for those who do not know what fifo means)
I guess you don't mean the first hit on any search engine: fifo = First in First out. That's how you should organise your fridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFO

Search this Thread