Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas A380 vs. V Australia 777 in economy - anyone taken both?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Can't decide between taking Qantas A380 or V Australia 777 from LAX-MEL in economy. Haven't been on either and both planes are exciting to me. I found a 9 month old topic on the same thing, but there wasn't any direct comparison between the two. So I'm curious if someone has been on both in economy and can compare the experiences?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:52 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Leg space when fully reclined: similar
Entertainment: Similar size screen, QF has more selection
Food: QF has airline "meals" while V seems to serve "fast" airline food.
VAustralia will make you pay for your 2nd+ alcoholic drink.

Both aircraft types have the new feel and both will arrive/depart from the same terminal.

I'd say they are very similar where price and miles being the deciding factors.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by d00t
Leg space when fully reclined: similar
Entertainment: Similar size screen, QF has more selection
Food: QF has airline "meals" while V seems to serve "fast" airline food.
VAustralia will make you pay for your 2nd+ alcoholic drink.

Both aircraft types have the new feel and both will arrive/depart from the same terminal.

I'd say they are very similar where price and miles being the deciding factors.
Thanks! I read VAustralia has a self-serve drink bar in economy?

Does either let you do economy seat selection at time of online booking? It seems neither does when I go through the booking process, but expedia at least shows me seat availability on Qantas.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:21 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Qantas offers seat selection when booking but only if the flight is not close to being full. A call to QF might sort things out as well.

I can't comment on the Y products on those planes but in general I find the 777 to be a very noisy plane while the A380 is nice and quiet. Also the cabin pressure is higher on the A380 which helps a bit with the general wellbeing during the flight.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:45 am

Programs: QF WP
Flew a fortnight ago LAX-SYD on VA on a very full 777. Agree that while service is generally good (and comparable leg room to the QF A380), they do charge for alcohol after one free drink with the meal service. Soft drinks are free. Choice of IFE is limited (QF is way better). I rang Virgin and got seat allocation well in advance (ie like QF). Virgin was very cheap (<$500 LAX-SYD) hence the choice to go with them. Not bad but not great. Boarding at LAX is a zoo.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OWEmerald
Flew a fortnight ago LAX-SYD on VA on a very full 777. Agree that while service is generally good (and comparable leg room to the QF A380), they do charge for alcohol after one free drink with the meal service. Soft drinks are free. Choice of IFE is limited (QF is way better). I rang Virgin and got seat allocation well in advance (ie like QF). Virgin was very cheap (<$500 LAX-SYD) hence the choice to go with them. Not bad but not great. Boarding at LAX is a zoo.
Wow, great price! I'm looking at $920 QF A380 vs. $890 VA 777 for a trip a week away. With a $30 price difference, you'd go with QF, right?

I was all set to go with VA 777 (figured the planes were at least a year newer than A380), but the comments here (thanks guys!) have me leaning towards QF A380. Would be nice if we could see VA seat selection online to gauge which flight is more full.

Was the lack of online check-in with VA a nuisance?

Last edited by dxt55; Feb 25, 2010 at 4:56 am
Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:01 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by dxt55
Wow, great price! I'm looking at $920 QF A380 vs. $890 VA 777 for a trip a week away. With a $30 price difference, you'd go with QF, right?
$30 difference I'd definately go Qantas. You could easily drink that in booze
Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:08 am
Original Poster

$30 difference I'd definately go Qantas. You could easily drink that in booze
Ha! Good point!

747's all I've experienced for international so far. Almost booked a QF 747 a couple days ago until I saw an A380 ad, which led me to the QF A380 and VA 777 flights. Perhaps the first time I'm looking forward to a flight.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:00 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
At LAX V.Australia departs from T3 while QF departs from TBIT; T3 is a zoo compared to TBIT so QF is using a much nicer terminal for departure (both arrive at TBIT so clearing immigration/customs is identical for both). In fact last time I was at LAX the majority of flights clearing immigration simultaneously were from Australia (4xQF and 1xV.A), with LAN from SCL and EL AL form Tel Aviv being the other arrivals first thing in the morning. QF was using 4 gates at TBIT simultaneously.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Qantas offers seat selection when booking but only if the flight is not close to being full. A call to QF might sort things out as well.

I can't comment on the Y products on those planes but in general I find the 777 to be a very noisy plane while the A380 is nice and quiet. Also the cabin pressure is higher on the A380 which helps a bit with the general wellbeing during the flight.
I have flown the 777 on another airline and didn't want to like an Airbus but the point made here is a BIG differentiating point. There is no doubt the A380 is a quiet aircraft this helps you get a few extra winks. In addition the air quality is noticably better which means you arrive feeling a lot better.

Whilst both these things are "invisible' parts of the service in my view they are more important than either the food, booze or number of movies.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:05 pm

Not at LAX though. V Australia use T3, which is a pretty cruddy terminal IMHO. The A380 uses TBIT, which whilst being as devoid of things as T3, is at least a little 'fresher'. T3 is like walking into the 70's.

TBIT also has some things to do pre-security. God knows why they didn't put anything after it (except two candy stores and the airline lounges).

And as someone mentioned, boarding is a shambles at T3 for V.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by dxt55
With a $30 price difference, you'd go with QF, right?
LoL - this is a QF forum so even if there was a $200 price difference I'd say the majority would be advocating QF.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:29 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The A380 is so smooth and quiet - a 777 cannot compete for passenger comfort.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:51 pm

OP- Qantas service and IFE is excellent, though I can't compare with VAustralia, having never flown them. The A380 has "self-service" centers in all cabins with beverages and snacks avaiable anytime.

Here's the deal....it's pretty easy to get on a 777 and experience that aircraft. When is your next opportunity to try a A380?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
LoL - this is a QF forum so even if there was a $200 price difference I'd say the majority would be advocating QF.
Well, I'm from out of town.....

I highly prefer QF over V Australia, especially considering this is the A380. The IFE is unbeatable (well at least limited to this a/c, after EK).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.