Rumoured FIRST reductions

Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:25 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by serfty
Qantas have dealt with such downgrade issues before with set compensation rates:

http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/news/200809/0947
Interesting, though that expired Nov 2008. Still offering AUD 1473 compensation for A to D downgrade SYD-LAX is interesting, but presumably this downgrade compensation only applies to fares that don't already include a provision for downgrade (the xONEx fares specify that no compensation is due for downgrade, whether voluntary or involuntary, though some airlines have offered compensation at times depending upon the circumstances). Wonder what the current policy is?

Also fascinating that the A380 suite was valued at over AUD 1000 per sector more than F; that of course has become 0 now.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
There is a more comtemporary version around - I need to find the link.

Note this did apply, IIRC, to AONEx PAX booked in A class but downgraded to D (I'll need to dig up the references).
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I think another problem is the fact that the A380 F suites may not fit in Zone A of a 747 leaving an economically viable F class. Didn't CX reduce their F from 12 to 9 seats?
QF must have decided that having two different product offerings in F and J on the A380 and 747 would damage the brand.
As for the remaining 8 A380, I think there will not be an F but expanded Y and PE.
Currently, QF puts 14 F suites into Zone A of a 744 - and only 18 J seats when configured for J/Y service. It seems to require a lot of capital to add those extra 4 seats.

If I were in a cost-control mode, until it was time to renovate the entire J product, I would leave the old F seats in Zone A & reserve Zone A for full-J pax until checkin (and highest-level elites after that). Plus, I would leave those seats empty as long as possible to give those pax even more benefit.

But, then again, nobody has asked me to run an airline lately...
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by CO FF
If I were in a cost-control mode, until it was time to renovate the entire J product, I would leave the old F seats in Zone A & reserve Zone A for full-J pax until checkin (and highest-level elites after that). Plus, I would leave those seats empty as long as possible to give those pax even more benefit.

But, then again, nobody has asked me to run an airline lately...
True, that would be cheaper. But what it will mean is QF will fly three J seats across it's fleet, roughly half of which will not be lie-flat.

That will mess with customer's expectations (especially if there are frequent equipments swaps between J/Y+/Y 744s and J/Y+/Y 380s). Doing the full conversion gets the extra 4 seats (and thus some sort of ROI figure, even if it isn't that close) and also means every QF J pax knows they will get a lie-flat. You can't a decent number of SkybedMkIIs in the current 744 J cabins. I'm willing to bet they have to take out F to make the numbers work.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:09 am

Location: Weekdays: LAX; Weekends (when not in a metal tube): LPC
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
There is a more comtemporary version around - I need to find the link.

Note this did apply, IIRC, to AONEx PAX booked in A class but downgraded to D (I'll need to dig up the references).
There's a link at the bottom of this page http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/...adePolicyJAN09 that opens a new page with the current refund amounts -- they're valid for just over 2 more weeks. A new one must be due out soon.

I assume mileage awards are just re-credited the appropriate difference from the relevant award chart. (Which would really suck if it happened to me on my LAX-MEL flight -- that's only 10,000 AAdvantage miles...roughly $200USD cash value.)
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by jkearns
I assume mileage awards are just re-credited the appropriate difference from the relevant award chart. (Which would really suck if it happened to me on my LAX-MEL flight -- that's only 10,000 AAdvantage miles...roughly $200USD cash value.)
If I booked through Qantas I would expect to be put on an alternative flight with F, assuming one was available. I think LAX - SYD - MEL would be a reasonable alternative flight if F was removed from LAX - MEL.

QF outline this in section 4.7 of their Conditions of Carriage and would form the basis for me asking for a reroute:
"If We need to ask You to downgrade for any reason, We will at Your Option ... accommodate You on a reasonable alternative available flight on Our services."
Jase.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
The cutbacks are already starting. I have (make that--"had") 2 F tix I booked last Oct with miles on AA for QF74 from SFO to SYD in mid April. Just found out the flight's had F removed; same seats (3E & 3F), but now showing as Business. AA liaison is reaching out to QF to see if they'll switch me to QF108 out of LAX instead, fingers crossed....
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:28 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
It depends on how cosy AA and QF are when it comes to these things...

The quoted CoC above is true when it's QF miles on QF metal. If it's AA miles buying a QF seat, don't expect a guaranteed desirable outcome. If QF don't have 2 F award seats available on the route/date you want, you and AA will have to work something out.

I'd a similar situation last year with CX on QF miles. CX withdrew F and just flatly refused to open up F seats on another flight.

Stand your ground.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 2:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by JimAtTheBeach
The cutbacks are already starting. I have (make that--"had") 2 F tix I booked last Oct with miles on AA for QF74 from SFO to SYD in mid April. Just found out the flight's had F removed; same seats (3E & 3F), but now showing as Business. AA liaison is reaching out to QF to see if they'll switch me to QF108 out of LAX instead, fingers crossed....
Me too. Two F tix on QF74 SFO-SYD at the beginning of May have been converted to biz. Annoying, AA sent no notification of this. The agent first suggested a refunding of the miles down to biz but when I prodded she is checking with QF about a re-routing via LAX. Should hear back in 24 hours.

Not sure how this will play if QF is reluctant. I'll try and stand my ground but am not sure what more I can do.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 2:33 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Here's the reason why:

QF17/QF18 SYD/EZE/SYD

No F cabin service from 12APR10 to 06JUN10. Affected pax rebooked into the Business cabin.
QF73/QF74 SYD/SFO/SYD

No F cabin service from 12APR10 to 06JUN10. Affected pax rebooked into the Business cabin.
QF29/QF30 MEL/HKG/LHR/HKG/MEL

Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Carlson Gold
As you predicited a few weeks ago in another thread. Still annoying...

btw, any thoughts on whether QF 107 SYD-JFK will retain F at the end of May?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
This doesn't seem to bode very well. Hope my (first) F flight SYD - JNB at the end of July is safe. At least the World Cup in June/July will keep F viable over this period on this route.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:09 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Jase76
This doesn't seem to bode very well. Hope my (first) F flight SYD - JNB at the end of July is safe. At least the World Cup in June/July will keep F viable over this period on this route.
If the worst happens, just make sure you get seats in A zone if you are on a 4 class 744 that only offers 3 classes of service.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:15 am

Are any of these "new" cuts or are they all extensions of the previous suspensions of F service on certain routes?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
I did get compensation for a last minute downgrade (A to D) on HKG-SYD last year. I was traveling on an AONEX, and got about the amount mentioned in the document.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.