Wiki Posts
Search

Rumoured FIRST reductions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:03 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by serfty
Post/Reports/Anecdotes indicate 12 of 4 Class configuration and the remainder of 3 Class.
Isn't the 13th A380 being delivered in 2012? Not sure any config decisions are meaningful that far ahead -- remember how QF's first A380 was to be 555 seats? And then 505? With 450 on the delivered product. The forces the drove is down by 20% of capacity could reassert themselves by then
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by number_6
Isn't the 13th A380 being delivered in 2012? Not sure any config decisions are meaningful that far ahead -- remember how QF's first A380 was to be 555 seats? And then 505? With 450 on the delivered product. The forces the drove is down by 20% of capacity could reassert themselves by then
OH no!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
I just REALLY hope that these changes have NOT occurred to QF 001/002 by the first week of May...
And that's just it, what happens to those of us with F bookings if Qantas removes F? I hope they are prepared to re-route (if this is an option).

Jase.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:46 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Jase76
And that's just it, what happens to those of us with F bookings if Qantas removes F? I hope they are prepared to re-route (if this is an option).

Jase.
Lots of routes have lost F in the past year so some people have already been affected. Don't recall any reports on FT of what QF has done, but for awards it is up to the airline issuing the award whether there is a reroute for a schedule change. AAdvantage generally has reissued the award as J instead, using non-award inventory on the same flights/dates if necessary; or given the choice of voluntary reroute (basically refund of award and issue new award, with no fees). Not sure what QFF has done, but I doubt you will be rerouted onto non-Oneworld flight. It is not treated like irrops. For revenue products, it depends on the specific fare used. Full F (which nobody flies) would reroute onto any available carrier, including your choice of routing up to the mileage limit for the fare. The other extreme is AONEx fares which will book into D instead with no refund or compensation.

But chances are the 744 fleet won't go F-less within the next 12 months, though I suppose some may be holding tickets that won't be used for 23 months from now.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
But chances are the 744 fleet won't go F-less within the next 12 months, though I suppose some may be holding tickets that won't be used for 23 months from now.
Agree. 20 744s are not going to be refitted in a short space of time. Funny that over on the BAEC forum people are hoping BA's 744 fleet will be refitted in a short period (with new F).

Jase.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:15 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The other extreme is AONEx fares which will book into D instead with no refund or compensation. ..
I have been booked and confirmed into A (QF 127 SYD-HKG) and then a 333 was subbed for the 744. QF at check-in gave a voucher for the issuing agent verifying the invol downgrade to D and said it was up to the issuing agent to arrange a refund. CX declined to offer any compensation. On correspondence with QF on the CX refusal, QF gave an adjustment to the FF points and SCs for the flight as if it had operated in F.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:54 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
You can understand QF's rationale in making the (proposed) decision to reduce F capacity. Part of this would of course be to due to recent events in the economy, but part of this is due to J becoming so good. With lie flat beds on the QF A380, and lie flat beds on CX J and good food & beverage and IFE options on both carriers it is really hard to justify paying two or three times the going J rate to fly F.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:01 am

Which routes that may lose QF F have a competitor flying F?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Originally Posted by richarddd
QF29/30 HKG-LHR-HKG comes to mind.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by richarddd
SYD-SFO
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:38 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by lokijuh
SYD-SFO
But it is not a true F, it is UA, after all.

Dave
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Jase76
Agree. 20 744s are not going to be refitted in a short space of time. Funny that over on the BAEC forum people are hoping BA's 744 fleet will be refitted in a short period (with new F).

Jase.
F can be removed without refitting the seats. As they are already doing on some routes, using better seat with the lower class of service.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by thadocta
But it is not a true F, it is UA, after all.

Dave
While the service is still lacking, the new UA F seats are an improvement on the old ones they used to have.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I think another problem is the fact that the A380 F suites may not fit in Zone A of a 747 leaving an economically viable F class. Didn't CX reduce their F from 12 to 9 seats?
QF must have decided that having two different product offerings in F and J on the A380 and 747 would damage the brand.
As for the remaining 8 A380, I think there will not be an F but expanded Y and PE.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Qantas have dealt with such downgrade issues before with set compensation rates:

http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/news/200809/0947

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.