FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Q on new infant member of QFF (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1034833-q-new-infant-member-qff.html)

VH-RMD Jan 3, 2010 1:03 am

Q on new infant member of QFF

Well, Mrs VH-RMD and I are finally expecting a human addition to our little family (up till now only four legged 'children'), so....

How old does a child have to be to have a QFF membership? Do they earn points as an infant on lap or only once you start paying for a child's fare?

She will take her first flight at 1 month old...;)

I know there are others with mini's who must have crossed these critical bridges already...

tuapekastar Jan 3, 2010 1:35 am

Congratulations! :)

A quick peek at the T&C's doesn't appear to specify any age limit for membership, but definitely excludes infant fares from eligibility to earn points (though it does indicate that if said infant is occupying their own paid seat, then miles can be earned).

9.4.1 Points are not earned for travel on:
(a) flights or booking classes that are not listed in or are excluded in the Airline Earning Table;
(b) infant fares (infant fares do not include infants travelling in their own paid seat);
(c) charter flights;
(d) freighter flights;
(e) free tickets or Award Flights;
(f) travel industry rebated tickets;
(g) competition prize tickets;
(h) transport other than air transport unless specified by Qantas;
(i) tickets acquired at an auction; or
(j) tickets which are subject to any specific provisions excluding the accumulation of Points.

VH-RMD Jan 3, 2010 1:46 am

Thanks, I must have skimmed over that bit when looking.

Oh well, at least there is no cost for the first couple of years - shame, she could have started building up a few points for transfer...

I guess SC are out of the question too....

asiaflyer Jan 3, 2010 1:48 am

I was able to join Asiaflyer Jnr up when only a few months old - and utilised free membership available through the everyday rewards joining process;). SO age does not seem to be an issue. He hasn't taken a flight yet, but did earn a few points at woolworths and his QFF membership card duly turned up shortly thereafter.

Just an FYI as well - you can take a lap child for free (taxes only??) with an adult points redemption. Not a bad way of getting some extra value on the redemptions which can easily be missed.^

VH-RMD Jan 3, 2010 1:54 am

sadly, we will miss the free Woolies offer as it will be gone by the time she is born...

Lonely Flyer Jan 3, 2010 2:19 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD (Post 13100870)
sadly, we will miss the free Woolies offer as it will be gone by the time she is born...

When is it slated for extinction.

shillard Jan 3, 2010 3:50 am

Mini-Shillard joined courtesy of Woolies - no problem earning on a child's fare (as opposed to infant) - he's now got 80SC and 2500 points.

Will probably be LTG by the time he finishes school.

Tyrolean Jan 3, 2010 3:59 am

Little Miss Tyrlolean is Frequent-Flyer member since she was 6 months old. She got no points/SC for the infant tickets, but we bought sometimes a cheap child-ticket to get an own seat and additional luggage allowance.
Since based in Germany we had no joining fee.

DownUnderFlyer Jan 3, 2010 6:54 am

Micro DUF joined QFF (and other progams) when she was a few days old an had 50 or so flights under her belt before she turned two. QFF is a great program for infants as QF lets you take an infant on points bookings free of charge. She just finished the year with *A silver status, just shy of gold.

HW Jan 4, 2010 4:25 pm

Miss HW joined when she was a few weeks old, at the time we lived in the US and so there was no joining fee, and since we were doing lots of transpacific runs where she had her own seat we figured she may as well start earning LTG credits. The only trick was that the online form (circa 2002) didn't allow children younger than two years old, all I did was call the FF number and they fixed it up with no problems.

kangela Jan 4, 2010 6:52 pm

Mini-Kangela first travelled as a kiwi and joined the program there, paying $50 for the privilege. Still, his first flight earned him QFF points at better rate, albeit only marginally, than the cost of top-up points. He is almost 3 now and has PS.

VH-RMD Jan 4, 2010 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer (Post 13100915)
When is it slated for extinction.

I was sure I had read somewhere, possibly here, that the offer would end early this year.

If I am wrong I hope it stays around until at least April, then we will use that avenue to sign up the addition...

asiaflyer Jan 5, 2010 3:22 am

Sorry to hijack ths thread, but so many with little ones being discussed I couldn't resist asking.

I came across the CARES child restraint which from the publicity materialis suitable for infants/children (based on size) for ages 1-4/5 travelling in their own seat - including take off and landing.

It appears to have been certified in various jurisdictions, inc FAA and CASA. Details are available at:
http://www.kidsflysafe.com/
http://www.littlegulliver.com.au/cares.php

Looking at trying to take Asiaflyer Jnr on some longhaul flights, it would seem to be a very useful device if I want to avoid a lapchild or carseat. However I have never seen anyone use one on Qantas/Jetstar. Does anyone know whether QF/JQ accept them, and if so whether they are readily accepted or is it best to have some form of documentation to show cabin crew that they are safe?

FWIW the vaustralia website mentions they 'accept' it in 'certain locations'

I know this perhaps should be in the traveling with kids section, but since I'm interested in QF/Jetstar acceptance, felt that this forum may get better circulation.

jamesatfish Jan 20, 2010 6:28 pm

My daughter was signed up to QFF on the day she was born (6 weeks ago), using the Woollies offer to waive the joining fee. We added her to her first booking a few hours later - taking advantage of the fact that she can fly for free on a Qantas RTW points booking.

Looks like she'll have her first RTW trip by about 4 months and her second (paid this time) a few months later. It's a real shame she doesn't earn SCs when flying as an infant - otherwise she'd be a WP member before she's 6 months old.

Hopefully she grows up to enjoy flying...

status level flint Jan 20, 2010 9:52 pm

Used successfullly on QF, AAEagle, JQ

Originally Posted by asiaflyer (Post 13114728)
Looking at trying to take Asiaflyer Jnr on some longhaul flights, it would seem to be a very useful device if I want to avoid a lapchild or carseat. However I have never seen anyone use one on Qantas/Jetstar. Does anyone know whether QF/JQ accept them, and if so whether they are readily accepted or is it best to have some form of documentation to show cabin crew that they are safe?

We have used the CARES harness on QF international and JQ. I think we received page references to the QF and JQ manuals when we bought the harness. I'll check up at home and confirm.