Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

A new round of QF bashing in the media?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Location: Home of the 2001 & 2004 Rugby Super 12 Champions - the Brumbies (Canberra, ACT) and Australia's best ski resort (Thredbo, NSW)
Programs: QF SG (LT PS, 54% LT SG), Priority Club Gold

I just shook my head when I saw this article. A QF 747 has to do a 'go-around' at MEL, big deal!

Then there is a linked article about some 'celebrity' having a whinge because his flight was delayed. It seems like the Australian media is back to its old ways, a minor problem becomes headline news and serious matters like the Emirates A430 almost creating a crater in Keilor Park are ignored.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Craigo
I just shook my head when I saw this article. A QF 747 has to do a 'go-around' at MEL, big deal!
I wouldn't call that "Qantas bashing" at all. The cause of the go-around was clearly stated ("congestion"), and nowhere does it imply that it was QF's fault.

Originally Posted by Craigo
Then there is a linked article about some 'celebrity' having a whinge because his flight was delayed. It seems like the Australian media is back to its old ways, a minor problem becomes headline news
Given what actually happened, I'd say that QF got off fairly easy with this article. Twice the plane left the gate and taxied, then returned to the gate. When they finally took off on the third attempt they got 2 hours into the flight before they decided to return to SYD due to a failed fuel pump. Then they diverted to MEL rather than SYD due to weather. Eventually the flight arrived 23 hours late.

Yes, of course you're better getting there 23 hours late rather than not at all, but I challenge anyone to go through an experience like that and not be unhappy about it by the end (I've certainly been there more than once with the exception of the divert)
Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Location: Home of the 2001 & 2004 Rugby Super 12 Champions - the Brumbies (Canberra, ACT) and Australia's best ski resort (Thredbo, NSW)
Programs: QF SG (LT PS, 54% LT SG), Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
I wouldn't call that "Qantas bashing" at all. The cause of the go-around was clearly stated ("congestion"), and nowhere does it imply that it was QF's fault.
The headline article on News.com.au states "Qantas jet aborts landing seconds from runway" with a picture of a 747 in a steep turn - yes that's true but it's sensationalising something that is a routine action at any airport in the world.

I think that part of the problem of the Australian media sensationalising trivial incidents with Qantas is with Qantas itself and the inability of the PR organisation to deal effectively with journalists on the beat-up path. I used the comparison with Emirates and one must admire its PR team for their ability to hose down the issue with the A340, which was probably the closest that Australia has come to a fatal commercial jet crash.

Last edited by Craigo; Nov 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:03 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Why can't the media just concentrate on the important things - like distressingly slow internet speeds in the SYD T2 QP?
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: QC Silver/OW Ruby
On the brighter side

The A380 dramas did have a nice benefit - QF12 was cancelled last Friday - so security for QF108 at Tom Bradley only took 45 minutes , and I could get a seat in the OneWorld lounge
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:45 pm

Programs: Plastic Fantastic! - QF, DJ, AF, NZ, DL etc..
No problems with the first article - safety a priority.
As for the second article - a whinging *d grade 'celebrity' - well, it speaks for itself. Stiff sh!t. Learn to cope with it, get over yourself - everyone else on the plane was inconvenienced.
No QF bashing here.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:35 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Just wait until News Limited discovers my blogging and designates me a celebrity:

"Shillard blogs: Rudd a Softcock, Howard a ponce."
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shillard
Just wait until News Limited discovers my blogging and designates me a celebrity:

"Shillard blogs: Rudd a Softcock, Howard a ponce."
Thanks! Just made my day.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Who or What is a "John Mayer"
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:23 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Who or What is a "John Mayer"
^
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:34 pm

Programs: AC Altitude 100K, QF Gold, SPG Platinum 100, Hilton HHonours Diamond
I think that part of the problem of the Australian media sensationalising trivial incidents with Qantas is with Qantas itself...
The Australian media sensationalizes everything these days. There is not a day that goes by that I cringe seeing what Tracy Grimshaw and A Current Affair are up to next… The Australian public love a good David and Goliath story, and until that changes (which will probably be never) Qantas and the likes are in the cross-hairs of bad journalism.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.