FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   A new round of QF bashing in the media? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1015244-new-round-qf-bashing-media.html)

Craigo Nov 8, 2009 10:16 pm

A new round of QF bashing in the media?

I just shook my head when I saw this article. A QF 747 has to do a 'go-around' at MEL, big deal!

Then there is a linked article about some 'celebrity' having a whinge because his flight was delayed. It seems like the Australian media is back to its old ways, a minor problem becomes headline news and serious matters like the Emirates A430 almost creating a crater in Keilor Park are ignored.

docbert Nov 8, 2009 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Craigo (Post 12790823)
I just shook my head when I saw this article. A QF 747 has to do a 'go-around' at MEL, big deal!

I wouldn't call that "Qantas bashing" at all. The cause of the go-around was clearly stated ("congestion"), and nowhere does it imply that it was QF's fault.

Originally Posted by Craigo (Post 12790823)
Then there is a linked article about some 'celebrity' having a whinge because his flight was delayed. It seems like the Australian media is back to its old ways, a minor problem becomes headline news

Given what actually happened, I'd say that QF got off fairly easy with this article. Twice the plane left the gate and taxied, then returned to the gate. When they finally took off on the third attempt they got 2 hours into the flight before they decided to return to SYD due to a failed fuel pump. Then they diverted to MEL rather than SYD due to weather. Eventually the flight arrived 23 hours late.

Yes, of course you're better getting there 23 hours late rather than not at all, but I challenge anyone to go through an experience like that and not be unhappy about it by the end (I've certainly been there more than once with the exception of the divert)

Craigo Nov 8, 2009 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 12790876)
I wouldn't call that "Qantas bashing" at all. The cause of the go-around was clearly stated ("congestion"), and nowhere does it imply that it was QF's fault.

The headline article on News.com.au states "Qantas jet aborts landing seconds from runway" with a picture of a 747 in a steep turn - yes that's true but it's sensationalising something that is a routine action at any airport in the world.

I think that part of the problem of the Australian media sensationalising trivial incidents with Qantas is with Qantas itself and the inability of the PR organisation to deal effectively with journalists on the beat-up path. I used the comparison with Emirates and one must admire its PR team for their ability to hose down the issue with the A340, which was probably the closest that Australia has come to a fatal commercial jet crash.

og Nov 8, 2009 11:03 pm

Why can't the media just concentrate on the important things - like distressingly slow internet speeds in the SYD T2 QP?

antycbr Nov 8, 2009 11:43 pm

On the brighter side

The A380 dramas did have a nice benefit - QF12 was cancelled last Friday - so security for QF108 at Tom Bradley only took 45 minutes :mad: , and I could get a seat in the OneWorld lounge :cool:

david870mdg Nov 8, 2009 11:45 pm

No problems with the first article - safety a priority.
As for the second article - a whinging *d grade 'celebrity' - well, it speaks for itself. Stiff sh!t. Learn to cope with it, get over yourself - everyone else on the plane was inconvenienced.
No QF bashing here.

shillard Nov 9, 2009 12:35 am

Just wait until News Limited discovers my blogging and designates me a celebrity:

"Shillard blogs: Rudd a Softcock, Howard a ponce."

Traveloguy Nov 9, 2009 6:42 am

Originally Posted by shillard (Post 12791170)
Just wait until News Limited discovers my blogging and designates me a celebrity:

"Shillard blogs: Rudd a Softcock, Howard a ponce."

Thanks! Just made my day. :D

Lonely Flyer Nov 9, 2009 1:41 pm

Who or What is a "John Mayer"

lokijuh Nov 9, 2009 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer (Post 12794460)
Who or What is a "John Mayer"

^:D

WannaFlyJ Nov 9, 2009 10:34 pm

I think that part of the problem of the Australian media sensationalising trivial incidents with Qantas is with Qantas itself...
The Australian media sensationalizes everything these days. There is not a day that goes by that I cringe seeing what Tracy Grimshaw and A Current Affair are up to next… The Australian public love a good David and Goliath story, and until that changes (which will probably be never) Qantas and the likes are in the cross-hairs of bad journalism.