Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

TP: BOS-RAI in J, $1500 US, free stopover in LIS

Old May 13, 2024, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k

That was posted on some other forum for $2000 but there was a recent price drop. Ok availability around Thanksgiving (I didn't check other dates). You can fly just BOS<->RAI or stop in LIS on the way in or out.
  • Can be booked directly on the TAP website as a multi-city itinerary (BOS->RAI->LIS->BOS) or (BOS->LIS->RAI->BOS). The stopover feature that Tap offers did not work (don't ask me how I know!). It's also available on OTAs but why bother?
  • I think you can cash in 400 TAP miles (if you have them) for a $100 discount but I'm not sure.
  • You can play around with the dates to get "good" flight times. TAP has apparently very inconsistent schedules day to day
  • RAI->LIS can be an afternoon flight or a red eye (urghh),
  • BOS->RAI is sometimes available with a reasonable layover in LIS (3.5h) but sometimes its a 15 hour layover
  • LIS-> BOS is operated by both TP217 (11:40 departure) and TP215 (17:15 departure). Availability is all over the place, especially TP215 is spotty.
  • BOS->LIS has a similar mashup between TP218 and TP216. but I didn't deep dive in that one.
  • I used ITA Matrix search for BOS<->RAI to hone in on rough dates and than a second search of BOS->RAI->LIS->BOS with +-2days, number of pax, maxconnect, and preferred departure time to fine tune the exact flights. In all cases the itineraries that ITA came up with priced out fine on the TAP website.
We just booked this and to me it feels like a great fare for lie flat across the Atlantic. It seems to be the A321neo which has single seats in every second row. I know that TAP isn't particularly popular but I had in general good experiences with them. Lisbon isn't a perfect location for repositioning but we got round trips to Berlin for less than $180. Lisbon itself is also always nice for a couple of days. It took me a while to combine "good flight times" with "available for 2 people" but eventually we had something we liked. Attached are two example of a "good" itinerary.

Last edited by Hilmar Lehnert; May 13, 2024 at 3:52 pm Reason: typo fixes
Old May 13, 2024, 1:36 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Oh... this is a destination that has been on my radar for many years now...and BOS is only a 4 hour drive away... Very tempting.
Old May 13, 2024, 3:41 pm

To bad it doesn't work to SAL.
PLeblond likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Wow a great deal to a unique destination.

Fingers crossed for a OW match
Old May 13, 2024, 4:45 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Wow a great deal to a unique destination.

Fingers crossed for a OW match
What OW carier flies there?
Old May 13, 2024, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PLeblond
What OW carier flies there?
I assumed BA/IB would, but looks like it's only Royal Air Moroc
Old May 13, 2024, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Wow, that's a nice r/t fare. Need to check that out
Old May 13, 2024, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tracon
Do you mean San Salvador in El Salvador (whose airport code is SAL) or somewhere else that's near RAI and served by TP?
Old May 13, 2024, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA silver; Wyndham platinum; OneKey platinum; Choice Gold
Perhaps you mean SID (officially Amílcar Cabral International Airport but aka Sal International Airport because it's on the island of Sal). AFAIK RAI serves the capital city (and largest city) in Cape Verde and is on a larger island but SID is a busier airport because of tourism.
Old May 13, 2024, 9:23 pm

Ah, that makes more sense. Well, it seems like Sal is an easy positioning flight or ferry ride away from Praia.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Many might find Praia is a more interesting destination than Sal. Sal is a flat, largely vegetation-free island with economic activity focussed solely on servicing mass tourism. Praia is Cabo Verde's capital, a city on mountainous Santiago, the largest and most populated of the CV islands,
Old May 14, 2024, 2:39 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The TAP flight replaces the previous service (I think it was 3-5 flights a week depending on season) from Cabo Verde Airlines (previously known as TACV). Cabo Verde Airlines has since gotten rid of their long haul fleet of two 757s and moved their hub from Praia to Sal, so now TAP is filling that niche.
Old May 14, 2024, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by diburning
The TAP flight replaces the previous service (I think it was 3-5 flights a week depending on season) from Cabo Verde Airlines (previously known as TACV). Cabo Verde Airlines has since gotten rid of their long haul fleet of two 757s and moved their hub from Praia to Sal, so now TAP is filling that niche.
The wide-bodies seemed a little ambitious. With not much chance of pulling in transfer traffic, the airline must have been banking on cargo, and its New England diaspora of something over half a million, generating the revenue.
Old May 14, 2024, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Wonder how much PQP this would give when crediting to UA...might be a fun mileage run.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
Wonder how much PQP this would give when crediting to UA...might be a fun mileage run.
Here's a good website to check: https://pqp.economiles.com/.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.