Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA/BA/IB - MEX-JNB/CPT - 20432 MXN / $1228 r/t OR $667 o/w - Premium Economy

Old Apr 12, 2024, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Yesterday American, British Airways, Finnair, and Iberia filed new premium economy fares from Mexico City, Mexico (MEX) to Johannesburg or Cape Town, South Africa (JNB / CPT). Unfortunately the only useful fare appears to be the AA fare which lets you fly one-way for 11099 MXN or $667 USD and roundtrip for 20432 MNX or $1228 USD.

The BA and IB fares don't have availability in the lowest fare codes for the LHR-JNB/CPT segments, so those flights ends up booking into economy. AY has no available space at all.

The BA fare does have one interesting option. You can fly one-way MEX-LHR-JNB with the MEX-LHR segment operated by BA and the LHR-JNB segment operated by Virgin Atlantic (VS) in premium economy for 15069 MXN / $961 USD one-way.

Depart Sun to Wed and return Tue to Sat. Minimum stay is 7 days from departure and 24 hours from arrival. A stopover is a hefty $400 USD!

MEX-MIA-LHR-CPT-LHR-MIA-MEX
23402 Miles / $1228 USD
5.247 cents USD per Mile Flown

Using the AA Fare - Economy Segments Book into the H Fare Code and Premium Economy Segments Book into the P Fare Code

Crediting to Alaska
23402 Elite Qualifying / Redeemable Miles (Cost per EQM - 5.247 cents USD)

Crediting to British Airways
420 Tier Points (Cost per TP - $2.92 USD / 2.35 GBP)
Note that you can have two connections in the US so you could increase this by another 40 Tier Points

Crediting to Iberia
1880 Elite Points (Cost per Point - 65.32 cents USD / 0.61 EUR)

Google Flights
BA/VS - MEX-JNB One-Way - https://www.google.com/travel/flight...EAwM3ogANEMDq9
Spoiler

AA/BA - MEX-JNB One-Way
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...JjqsVkkNb2z1o8
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...cSjER6sd4Zhjh9
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...6itvRW2fkSWYX6
Spoiler

Spoiler

AA/BA - MEX-CPT One-Way
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...98mFkBfRo3Cc18
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...EnZGhdBDYW4267
Spoiler

AA/BA - MEX-JNB Roundtrip
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...jab1L3xhExARg9
Spoiler

Spoiler

AA/BA - MEX-CPT Roundtrip
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...HdSugq6Hr6qXj6
Spoiler

If you try to use the BA or IB fare you'll end up with something like this -
Spoiler

Routing Rules
Spoiler

Full Fare Rules
Spoiler

eltoddo22, FlyingFrZ, jaro and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 1:33 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Could be a good way to use AA SWU if you can find J award space and have at least one AA flight segment
IggySD, eltoddo22 and cruser1 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Could be a good way to use AA SWU if you can find J award space and have at least one AA flight segment
Great suggestion!
Old Apr 13, 2024, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Could a single SWU work on both TATL segment and LHR-CPT/JNB segment?
Old Apr 13, 2024, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eltoddo22
Yes
eltoddo22, cruser1 and jaro like this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 2:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

,,........​​​​
Old Apr 13, 2024, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by izzik
,,........​​​​
Invalid morse code!
Old Apr 14, 2024, 6:58 am

leaning towards canceling a decent planned point redemption in biz to either using this and a points leg or this and compounding it with not as good a deal but still decent economy cash trip back to BKK...

between having some reasons to go to the US for work, and to mexico (for regularization), and a willingness to sit on planes for long amounts of time (even if i must groan through economy) i think i may end up

1. (over)achieving alaska mvp 100
2. doing it for fairly cheap eqm (at the cost of flying rough itineraries, but i'm on flyertalk after all)
3. made all the wonkier because i live most of the year on a small thai island
4. owing cruser1 a christmas card
PLeblond, cruser1, jonr405 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by eltoddo22
i called and was advised the following:
1. SWU can't be waitlisted on BA flights
2. if you did apply a SWU now and get upgrades, great, if a flight became available later on the BA flight, nope
3. if your middle leg is BA, it needs to be sold as "BA prime" for an SWU to give you the instant upgrade, rather than as an AA codeshare. this added $239 to my trip
4. i don't have expertflyer but didn't find any LHR-JNB flights to upgrade around my dates poking around ba.com
5. i assume you cannot use aa.com to find instantly upgradeable flights at all. the lowest point redemption i found was 115k but the agent said it had no space

Last edited by sickmint79; Apr 14, 2024 at 10:44 am
Old Apr 14, 2024, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sickmint79
i called and was advised the following:
1. swu can't be waitlisted on BA flights
2. if you did apply a SWU now and get upgrades, great, if a flight became available later on the BA flight, nope
3. if your middle leg is BA, it needs to be sold as "BA prime" for an SWU to give you the instant upgrade, rather than as an AA codeshare. this added $239 to my trip
4. i don't have expertflyer but didn't find any LHR-JNB flights to upgrade around my dates poking around ba.com
5. i assume you cannot use aa.com to find instantly upgradeable flights at all. the lowest point redemption i found was 115k but the agent said it had no space
1 - true
2 - you can still call up and process the BA upgrade if space opens up. It just wont waitlist / upgrade automatically.
3 - that hasnt been the case for me
in the past
4 / 5 - You need to have BA award availability in order to use a SWU. You can search for that on AA if you filter for non stop from LHR to JNB / CPT. Theres very little available through end of year.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
1 - true
2 - you can still call up and process the BA upgrade if space opens up. It just wont waitlist / upgrade automatically.
3 - that hasnt been the case for me in the past
4 / 5 - You need to have BA award availability in order to use a SWU. You can search for that on AA if you filter for non stop from LHR to JNB / CPT. Theres very little available through end of year.
2 - excellent to know, any success with this yourself?
3 - how long ago past was this? it's the part i found most questionable and worth chatting to another agent about if i go through with this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 10:49 am

2 - excellent to know, any success with this yourself?
3 - how long ago past was this? it's the part i found most questionable and worth chatting to another agent about if i go through with this.
2 - yes.
3 - In theory youre only supposed to be able to upgrade short haul BA flights. But in practice if you find the right agent and theres BA award availability then theyll process it.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 3:08 pm

ended up with MEX-JFK-LHR-JNB; AA/BA/BA. buddy applied a SWU for me, waitlisted on flight 1, confirmed on the next 2. all were just AA codeshares. this feel like it should be in the running for best SWU upgrade of 2024. base fare was $673.

Last edited by sickmint79; Apr 14, 2024 at 4:09 pm
Old Apr 14, 2024, 4:15 pm

ended up with MEX-JFK-LHR-JNB; AA/BA/BA. buddy applied a SWU for me, waitlisted on flight 1, confirmed on the next 2. all were just AA codeshares. this feel like it should be in the running for best SWU upgrade of 2024. base fare was $673.
Did you see the LHR JNB space on AA.com? It seems like they're not showing anything towards the end of the year but BA.com does show redemption availability.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Did you see the LHR JNB space on AA.com? It seems like they're not showing anything towards the end of the year but BA.com does show redemption availability.
i used a direct point search for the leg in a calendar view on aa.com, then went to ba.com and checked for the same day and saw the flight was available in avios. this method worked for 3/3 flights i asked agents about upgrading.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.