Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA/BA/IB - MEX-JNB/CPT - 20432 MXN / $1228 r/t OR $667 o/w - Premium Economy

AA/BA/IB - MEX-JNB/CPT - 20432 MXN / $1228 r/t OR $667 o/w - Premium Economy

Old Apr 14, 2024, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sickmint79
i used a direct point search for the leg in a calendar view on aa.com, then went to ba.com and checked for the same day and saw the flight was available in avios. this method worked for 3/3 flights i asked agents about upgrading.
Did the availability show up on the AA.com calendar view or only when you checked on BA/using Avios?
Old Apr 14, 2024, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Did the availability show up on the AA.com calendar view or only when you checked on BA/using Avios?
i used the calendar to find days that appeared to have something, and ba day search to confirm
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:12 am

in trying to recreate this, the refined worfklow i would advise is

1. aa calendar search
2. set to 1-stop business
3. city pairs to search for are JFK/CLT/DFW/MIA to JNB
4. likely anything < 100k is SWU upgradeable. AA or BA metal both priced out on the same from MIA here at 75k.
5. AA is the rare unicorn in that it showed up less frequently from the middle leg. doing a MIA-LHR search they will show up as 62.5k
6. ba.com shows far less seats for the unicorn AA inventory. eg. on one day i found it (july 29) there was 1 AA seat, but 7 BA seats available on their flight.
cruser1 and himang like this.

Last edited by sickmint79; Apr 15, 2024 at 5:31 am
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:45 am

i'll also offer some interesting things on both ends of this trip, if you need an excuse to go to either.

mexico
did you visit mexico before 2023? ideally with the same passport you have now? congratulations, if you go now and overstay your allowed days - and you can make sure you get 7 by walking across the border from san diego - then you can apply for the covid era 'regularization' program and get 4 year temporary residency fairly easily, certainly *much* easier than the normal process. after 4 years you can apply for permanent. permanent appears to have most rights of a citizen, outside of voting or getting a passport. unlike most (all?) other countries - mexico also has no days in country requirement to maintain residency. (US requires you be in the country 6/mo a year else you lose it, i believe.) so you could essentially set this up so that for the rest of your life, you could move in and out of mexico freely for work, tax, health insurance/procedures, cost of living, quality of life, etc. or simply choose not to.

joburg
if you are interested in a cool life experience and mini (sort of) vacation, paying to volunteer in africa is not uncommon (voluntourism). make no mistake the programs need your money much more than your unskilled labor and programs can be of quite varying quality. nonetheless i know some folks who run a cheetah breeding center and have worked with them several times. cheetahs are endangered for a number of reasons. if you feel like doing a little less labor, i think they have a more glampy leisurely rate, else the normal rate includes you doing some more work. none of it is terribly back breaking; i'll estimate at least 60% of the folks that do this program are college aged girls from europe. they have other animals too (meerkats, servals) and your duties are typically cleaning enclosures and preparing food. you'll still do a fair amount of effort even just walking around, so, at least for me, it acted as a bit of a diet as well. it's typically monday to monday weekly that you pay for, minimum of 1 week. i've done 2 each time i've done it, which was enough for me each time. most of the cheetahs are comfortable around humans, with the intent of breeding genetically diverse ones whose young they can release into the wild on cheetah friendly reserves. i will describe their general behavior as 'ok behaving dogs' but they are definitely not going to listen to you, because they are cats after all.

here is a serval pissing in a water pool we just cleaned and refilled.

here is me and a spotty cat that purrs very loudly.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

in trying to recreate this, the refined worfklow i would advise is

1. aa calendar search
2. set to 1-stop business
3. city pairs to search for are JFK/CLT/DFW/MIA to JNB
4. likely anything < 100k is SWU upgradeable. AA or BA metal both priced out on the same from MIA here at 75k.
5. AA is the rare unicorn in that it showed up less frequently from the middle leg. doing a MIA-LHR search they will show up as 62.5k
6. ba.com shows far less seats for the unicorn AA inventory. eg. on one day i found it (july 29) there was 1 AA seat, but 7 BA seats available on their flight.
Thanks! If you're searching for award inventory for BA flights remember that AA is going to show less inventory than BA due to BA limiting partner award inventory.

I didn't know Mexico was so lenient with people that overstay their welcome!
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by cruser1
Thanks! If you're searching for award inventory for BA flights remember that AA is going to show less inventory than BA due to BA limiting partner award inventory.

I didn't know Mexico was so lenient with people that overstay their welcome!
they often are very generous with the time (6 months) when you enter, people flying in asking for less i think ended up getting lower amounts less frequently (who are trying to do the residency thing) - the only way to really guarantee yourself a short stay is by walking in. so i'll be taking the pedestrian non-airport crossing at san diego to tijuana. i'm under the impression you want to find a more friendly place to using this process (regularization) which doesn't seem to be mexico city. plus some local handlers can help you out with it. the process then is much easier than obtaining 4 or even 1 year of temp residency originating outside the US. i am also kind of amazed that the program both still exists, and works this way, but hey... seems like a great opportunity and one i don't expect to be around next year. your overstay i believe they will refer to as an "error" and it is indeed required to apply. my handler basically said 'longer is better' although i plan to go in 1 week or 2 after i'm in "error" - i think that leaves enough time for the process to go through and to catch this flight, which i surely don't want to miss!
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:51 am

as a bit of an off topic aside - how often do you use SWUs for yourself?

i expect to earn 1-3 on alaska, probably have minimal to no candidates to use them.
my buddy applied his AA SWU for me. on the specific longer flights where it applies that he does, he says there's never upgrade space for them.

it was a time ago when i was EXP; i earned 8, i gave them all away to facebook friends to acquaintances to strangers.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 7:22 am
Original Poster

as a bit of an off topic aside - how often do you use SWUs for yourself?

i expect to earn 1-3 on alaska, probably have minimal to no candidates to use them.
my buddy applied his AA SWU for me. on the specific longer flights where it applies that he does, he says there's never upgrade space for them.

it was a time ago when i was EXP; i earned 8, i gave them all away to facebook friends to acquaintances to strangers.
My wife and I usually use them all. I haven't given any away. I figure out some way to make them work on flights to Europe.
sickmint79 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 8:25 am

they often are very generous with the time (6 months) when you enter, people flying in asking for less i think ended up getting lower amounts less frequently (who are trying to do the residency thing) - the only way to really guarantee yourself a short stay is by walking in. so i'll be taking the pedestrian non-airport crossing at san diego to tijuana. i'm under the impression you want to find a more friendly place to using this process (regularization) which doesn't seem to be mexico city. plus some local handlers can help you out with it. the process then is much easier than obtaining 4 or even 1 year of temp residency originating outside the US. i am also kind of amazed that the program both still exists, and works this way, but hey... seems like a great opportunity and one i don't expect to be around next year. your overstay i believe they will refer to as an "error" and it is indeed required to apply. my handler basically said 'longer is better' although i plan to go in 1 week or 2 after i'm in "error" - i think that leaves enough time for the process to go through and to catch this flight, which i surely don't want to miss!
From what I've read about the "regularization" program, the entry permit has to have expired before 2020.
You are currently in Mexico and in possession of a Mexico Visitor Permit (FMM) that expired in or before 2020
Does not seem like one that was issued and expired now would let you apply for the status.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by tr3k
From what I've read about the "regularization" program, the entry permit has to have expired before 2020.

Does not seem like one that was issued and expired now would let you apply for the status.
apparently you just have to have had a prior entry. i was there for ~6 months starting in 2021. this prior entry needs to have been before 2023. then being there now and overstaying as "error"

perhaps this was brought about without intention by how it was worded or something, where one might assume the existing stay has been overstayed vs. years instead of my walk in shenanigans. i have heard flying into places and requesting a short stay (7 days) isn't typically granted now and they'll do 30+ instead. also if it is clerical and unintended to be this way, that may be why some places don't seem to be ones where you would go to have this processed successfully (mexico city) although it sounds like it is still doable elsewhere. i assume the amount of people trying at this point is pretty low if your odds of success also now include having to go through the time of walking across and flying to the right places. nonetheless i'll be trying this theory out. hopefully i stay out of jail, my spanish isn't that great
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:39 pm

I do speak fluent spanish, but I'd be a bit wary of trying this. Def. post your experience later (may be in another thread though)
cruser1 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tr3k
I do speak fluent spanish, but I'd be a bit wary of trying this. Def. post your experience later (may be in another thread though)
I agree! I'd like to hear about their experience too! Sounds like an interesting story!
Old Apr 23, 2024, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP100k, Avis PC
Has anyone had any pushback from the agent upon using the AA SWU issued by Alaska to upgrading legs on AA codeshare marketed flights with BA, with either the transatlantic leg or the LHR-JNB/CPT leg?
I am finding trouble explaining the intricate nuances involving the usage of SWUs, so pardon me

Last edited by himang; Apr 23, 2024 at 12:56 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.