Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA/QR - JFK/ORD-CGK - $2656 r/t - Business / Economy Mix

Old Mar 14, 2024, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Not the best price considering quite a few miles are covered in economy, American Airlines / Qatar Airways - New York (JFK) or Chicago (ORD) to Jakarta, Indonesia (CGK) for $2656 r/t. These are actually all Iberia (IB) codeshare flights, but you'll fly AA in economy from JFK/ORD to Paris (CDG) and then QR in business from CDG to CGK via DOH. If you're willing to fly to Europe in economy, this could be a way to save a bit and fly quite a distance with QR.

Earlier this morning Google Flights started displaying roundtrips from Chicago to Jakarta for $2656 in business class. When I went to look I noticed that the first flight was a flight to Europe on AA in economy and the rest in business, which isn't ideal, but after taking a look and calculating what two separate tickets (CHI-PAR / PAR-JKT) would cost, this itinerary actually saves nearly $1k so I thought I'd share. Somebody might find it interesting or be able to build from it.

Here's what Google Flights is showing (If you click through, the economy segments are replaced with premium economy segments and the price jumps, but the original displayed price is correct if you fly economy and the final displayed price of $5k is correct if you fly premium economy to Paris.)

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...3Rx4dEN8w8tQs5

Spoiler

New ITA Matrix won't show you any of these if you use it. It's garbage, so avoid it for this fare and use the Old ITA Matrix.

When I searched Old Matrix it displayed the exact trip and every flight is an Iberia codeshare. It's also using two separate Iberia fares - one CHI to PAR and one PAR to JKT.
Spoiler

NYC is a bit more expensive, but similar...
Spoiler

Booking the above will save money. Despite the fare basis IDN0XNM6 being the cheapest fare between Paris and Jakarta, if you book Paris to Jakarta alone in business with that Iberia fare basis it'll cost $3130 roundtrip. The non-stop in economy from CHI to PAR will add another $599 for a grand total of $3729!

Here's a roundtrip PAR-CGK under the fare basis IDN0XNM6. I'm using USD to make it easier to compare taxes / fees to the original and you can see the fuel surcharge here is higher than the roundtrip from Chicago to Jakarta.
Spoiler

Or the same flights in Google Flights
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...DwEowki8DfKS56
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...vpyVVDFLLnFGz6
Spoiler

Lastly, if you fly premium economy to Europe, this matches what Google Flights is displaying.
Spoiler

Here's what I put into Old Matrix to find this. I'm using specific dates to match Google, but you could modify this to do a calendar search.
Spoiler

Here are the full fare rules for CHI to PAR
Spoiler

Old Mar 14, 2024, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Need to split posts since I hit the character limit.

Here are the fare rules PAR to JKT

Spoiler

Old Mar 14, 2024, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

If you are going to use Momondo to search, set every segment to Economy and hit Search and let it run
Spoiler

Then on the left side expand the list of airlines and uncheck everything except for American Airlines, Iberia, Qatar Airways. The end result should be something similar to this.
Spoiler

Spoiler

This also works on foreign Momondo sites, but the prices may be higher or lower.
Spoiler

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.