Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

CAI to World - Currency Conversion Issue?

CAI to World - Currency Conversion Issue?

Old Mar 6, 2024, 4:50 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Related: Can you transfer airside on separate tickets at Sao Paulo / GRU? Would like to just… hop off there & head back to USA rather than obtaining a Brazilian visa or continuing to ASU
cruser1 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, TK Elite Plus, QR Gold, AF Gold
18wheeler_vanrekt it's doable inside T2/3 at GRU providing you have a boarding pass for the next flight. You only have to go through security check.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
NBD, says $997 is “Typical for business class”…
It's not. Google took all the price ranges and adjusted them down at the same drop as the value in currency.

That's why many of the fares that have been "fixed" are now saying the price is high even though they are normal.

There are times you can fly roundtrip from Europe to South America for around $1k in business (usually from AMS to some of the more northern or coastal airports - BOG, UIO, LIM, FOR, etc. for about $1300 roundtrip), but that's not the normal.

Google didn't adjust the actual chart values, so here's the last 60 days and you can see there is a big drop today.

Originally Posted by heliot2009
18wheeler_vanrekt it's doable inside T2/3 at GRU providing you have a boarding pass for the next flight. You only have to go through security check.
That's even better!

Last edited by cruser1; Mar 6, 2024 at 6:00 pm
Old Mar 6, 2024, 6:01 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Gutted I missed this fun. Would have liked a few TP runs
cruser1 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 6:10 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Looks gone
Old Mar 6, 2024, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
Looks gone
Depends on the route and airline. Some work, many don't.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 6:22 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Deleted (was about BA Tier Points & Avios)

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; Mar 6, 2024 at 6:35 pm
Old Mar 6, 2024, 6:28 pm

Such an annoyance that BA have made it unpleasant to position to CAI from the UK now with the switch to CE cabin instead of CW (or the excellent ex-BMI throne seats of yesteryear).

​​​​​​
cruser1 and Grey Nomad like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

NBD, says $997 is “Typical for business class”…
As I said before, Google has adjusted the price range for flights out of Cairo to match the drop in the value of currency.

The cheapest roundtrip business fare from CAI to ASU is a LATAM fare ZEEEJ00Q which also happens to be the one we are booking with the QR operated segments.

Today the base fare for that fare basis is EGP 36215.00 which translates to $721 (this doesn't include taxes and fees or the carrier-imposed charge). If we add on all the taxes and fees (7908.80 EGP) except for the carrier imposed surcharge the roundtrip cost is 44123.80 EGP or $878.38 + carrier imposed fee.
Spoiler

Changing the ticketing date to March 4 (2 days ago), the base fare is still 36215.00 EGP, but the exchange rate was "worse" so that translated to $1174.00. The taxes and fees didn't change overnight, so if we add on the taxes and fees (7908.80 EGP), excluding the carrier imposed fee, the total is still 44123.80 EGP, but with the exchange rate the roundtrip would have cost at least $1430.38 + carrier imposed fee.

Spoiler

Backing up 2 more days to March 2, the base fare was still 36215.00 EGP, which means a roundtrip ticket would cost at least $1430.38 + carrier imposed fee.

Spoiler

Backing up 1 week to Feb 28, the base fare was still 36215.00 EGP, which means a roundtrip ticket would cost at least $1430.38 + carrier imposed fee.

Spoiler

Backing up 2 weeks to Feb 21, the base fare was still 36215.00 EGP, which means a roundtrip ticket would cost at least $1430.38 + carrier imposed fee.

Spoiler

Backing up a 1 month to Feb 7, the base fare was still 36215.00 EGP, which means a roundtrip ticket would cost at least $1430.38 + carrier imposed fee.

Spoiler

Backing up 2 months, the base fare was still 36215.00 EGP, which means a roundtrip ticket would cost at least $1430.38 + carrier imposed fee.

Spoiler

Backing up 3 months, the base fare was still 36215.00 EGP, which means a roundtrip ticket would cost at least $1430.38 + carrier imposed fee.

Spoiler

Google stating the normal range is $870 - $1050 roundtrip is simply false! Prior to today the cheapest fare was at least $1430.38 roundtrip. Since Feb 2023 the EGP was fixed - 30.85 pounds to 1 USD, so there was no fluctuation in exchange rate affecting the "price range". Google had to have "tampered" with the range and adjusted them due to the drop in the value of the EGP.

Taxes and fees were taken from here -
Spoiler

If you want to see taxes and fees on a one-way -
Spoiler

fridgy likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:45 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
My “$997 for r/t Biz is typical” comment was sarcasm, I’m aware it’s a phenomenonal deal for that flight length & route! Just poking fun at Google’s pricing algorithm if anything
lensovet and cruser1 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

My “$997 for r/t Biz is typical” comment was sarcasm, I’m aware it’s a phenomenonal deal for that flight length & route! Just poking fun at Google’s pricing algorithm if anything
Haha! Sorry! All the punctuation in your post seems to be a special character and was removed on my screen so I wasn't sure!

It is odd and kind of devious what Google has done! It makes it look like Google flights might not have trustworthy statistics! Maybe it'll discourage people from booking!

It also got me thinking. Do they regularly adjust their statistics due to fluctuations in the value of currency, but they are so minute that we don't notice?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:24 pm

if booking on Latam direct the first flight shows as "Premium Business" is that gonna be a problem - remember seeing posts about booking not going through as QR only offers First... OK, I think those book in Y, just couldn't see on airline's site..
cruser1 likes this.

Last edited by LilZeppelin; Mar 6, 2024 at 8:41 pm
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:52 pm

Programs: LH SEN,Flying Blue Platinum, BA GGL, Accor Diamond, HHONORS Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
LA codeshare credits

Ticket is on LA stock so I guess even the QR flights on BA only avios and no TP (correct me if anyone had luck getting TP as well on BA). What about Alaska Milage Plan, do they credit marketing opperator as well? LA booking class Z would bring 200%, if the credit the operation carrier QR Z will bring 0%.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:20 pm

cruser1 Any other NA destinations that work ? Really not wanting to visit South America yet lol.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
if booking on Latam direct the first flight shows as "Premium Business" is that gonna be a problem - remember seeing posts about booking not going through as QR only offers First... OK, I think those book in Y, just couldn't see on airline's site..
Ooh I booked a one way from CAI-ASU with the long QR leg. As far as I can tell, it shows Premium Business on the LATAM site, can't pull up the booking reference on Qatar to see the booking. Assuming the Premium Business should translate to business class on Qatar and not economy instead?!
cruser1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.