Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA - YVR-BOG - 948 CAD / $688 r/t - Business or Domestic First

Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:51 am
Original Poster

American Airlines - Vancouver, Canada (YVR) to Bogota, Colombia (BOG) - 948 CAD or $688 roundtrip at the end of January 2024 / beginning of February 2024 in business / domestic first.

You can connect at DFW or DFW and MIA in both directions. For those of you trying to maximize tier points, while AA flies to LAX from YVR, this fare doesn't work with a connection at LAX. You can choose a flight operated by a Boeing 777 between DFW and MIA if you're interested in a lie-flat seat, but the rest of the flights are all operated by narrowbody aircraft and you'll be in a recliner.

Crediting to American - Loyalty Points based on ticket price

Crediting to British Airways - 240 Tier Points (Cost per TP - $2.87 or 2.35 GBP)

Crediting to Alaska - 13146 EQM (Cost per EQM - 5.2335 cents each)

Google Flights
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...8fLYPmyL98irW6

Fare Rules

Category 2: Day/Time restrictions

PERMITTED MON THROUGH THU FROM THE GATEWAY.

Category 3: Seasonal restrictions

FROM COLOMBIA -
PERMITTED 09JAN THROUGH 31DEC FOR EACH GATEWAY
DEPARTURE.
TO COLOMBIA -
PERMITTED 01JAN THROUGH 13DEC OR 24DEC THROUGH 31DEC FOR
EACH GATEWAY DEPARTURE.

Category 5: Advanced reservation/ticketing restrictions

RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 50 DAYS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
WAITLIST AND STANDBY NOT PERMITTED.
TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 3 DAYS AFTER
RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 50 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE
WHICHEVER IS EARLIER.

Category 6: Minimum stay requirements

TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 7
DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
AND - TRAVEL FROM TURNAROUND MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN
24 HOURS AFTER ARRIVAL AT TURNAROUND.

Category 7: Maximum stay requirements

TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 12
MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

Category 8: Stopover restrictions

ORIGINATING NORTH AMERICA -
NO STOPOVERS PERMITTED.

Category 14: Travel restrictions

VALID FOR TRAVEL COMMENCING ON EACH TRIP ON/AFTER
22SEP 22.

Category 15: Sales restrictions

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON AA AND MAY NOT BE SOLD IN
VENEZUELA/RUSSIA/BELARUS AND MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN AREA 1/
AREA 2/AREA 3
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED BY ELECTRONIC TICKETING.

Full Fare Rules
Spoiler

Old Nov 2, 2023, 2:15 pm

]It's also available out of YYZ for several dates for as low as $960 CAD R/T.
reggiekush likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The two longer international segments are on narrow bodies and recliners, and the shorter domestic leg is on a widebody lie flat. Now, that's funny...
cruser1 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Are special fares where you also book a hotel for 3 days still a thing? And then it goes by a percentage of distance? The ways to earn extra miles or LPs that don't directly cost lots of money are dwindling...
Old Nov 3, 2023, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Are special fares where you also book a hotel for 3 days still a thing? And then it goes by a percentage of distance? The ways to earn extra miles or LPs that don't directly cost lots of money are dwindling...
You can try AA Vacations, but often it won't save you much.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Originally Posted by cruser1
I tried, but not getting any cheaper.

I'm having a hard time pulling up the fares on ITA. It seems like most of them are found in January and February?

I've been curious, this route YVR to Colombian cities, GF seems to show correct and available fares on calendar views, but as I choose flights, prices go up, sometimes ridiculous amounts. Why is that? It's been going on for at least for months. I suspect that's a part of the reason why I can't pull up on ITA easily?
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Edit: Just ignore this I guess, apparently AA Vacations no longer counts as special fares. The below would apply however if you can manage to get it booked as a special fare (consolidator if you can find one, and please DM if you do, since I haven't found one for quite a while).

For AA members it's not about trying to save money on the fare, it's forcing it to earn by distance rather than fare.

Crediting to AA if you buy it normally:
Base member: about 3,000 miles / LPs earned
EXP: about 6,600 miles / LPs earned

Buying via AA Vacations:
Base member: 8,762 Miles / LPs
EXP: 19,276 Miles / LPs

That's a huge difference since the fare is quite cheap, the revenue earning is miniscule. I'd even be willing to pay MORE from AAVacations considering it's 3x more Miles / LPs for an EXP.

Last edited by dvs7310; Nov 4, 2023 at 6:11 am
Old Nov 3, 2023, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310

Buying via AA Vacations:
​​​​​​ I have a poor understanding how elite status qualification works with AA, I apologize in advance. Assuming you quoted based on RT, as I'm only a base member, even 4 RTs of this fare, it's still not even enough to qualify for Gold/Ruby which requires 40k LPs iiuc.

it's a good insight for AA flyers, though.

I haven't decided who to credit to, but probably to AS, the I fare gives 150% of the distance flown, so about 13k miles. Or possibly more. AS has rolled out a red carpet for disgruntled DL elites, I just applied for a status challenge, for my second time. They have once in a lifetime language, but I'll see.

Last edited by maverikbc; Nov 3, 2023 at 8:20 pm
Old Nov 3, 2023, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
For AA members it's not about trying to save money on the fare, it's forcing it to earn by distance rather than fare.

Buying via AA Vacations:

That's a huge difference since the fare is quite cheap, the revenue earning is miniscule. I'd even be willing to pay MORE from AAVacations considering it's 3x more Miles / LPs for an EXP.
I'm aware that some AA Vacations bookings used to earn based on a the special fare chart and have booked such flights just to earn the extra loyalty points, but not all did. Now most AA Vacations packages earn 5 LP's for elite AAdvantage members based on the entire package subtotal price (excluding taxes and carrier-imposed fees), so an EXP would do better booking direct unless you save a ton of money on the package (booking direct you'd earn 11 LP's per dollar spent)! If you have a companion those earnings are cut in half.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 11:15 pm

Smile

For CA passport holders, CO government is bringing back the entrance tax of about C$85 in a couple of weeks. The saving with this fare offsets more than enough, but it’s still annoying…

Booked an open jaw YVR-DFW-MIA-BOG, CLO-MIA-CLT-DFW-YVR for $939, all J&F.

Remarks:
* Similar pricing is available for all CO airports AA flies to, plus GYE. CLO simple RT seems to be the lowest of the bunch at a bit more than $900, but both ways take 30+ hours each, and quite a few itineraries are mixed cabins.
* My open jaw was available as low as $924, but it required overnight. For extra $15, I could leave YVR at 7am, and arrive BOG at 1:05am.
* Layover spots such as PHL, RDU, etc are available depending on the days, without an increase in price.
* I managed to include a lie flat DFW-MIA. It was also available for MIA-CLT, but I didn’t care for a 2-hour flight, and I wanted to minimize my stay at CLT, so I booked a later MIA-CLT.
* AA CA and US sites showed prices in respective currencies at spot rate, I booked on their CA site.

If I booked a Y ticket with bags, it could end up similar price, this is a fantastic fare, thanks OP as always! If I credit them to AS, 13,908 miles are icing on the cake. I'll keep searching for better itineraries, though.
cruser1 likes this.

Last edited by maverikbc; Nov 3, 2023 at 11:25 pm
Old Nov 3, 2023, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maverikbc
​​​​​​ I have a poor understanding how elite status qualification works with AA, I apologize in advance. Assuming you quoted based on RT, as I'm only a base member, even 4 RTs of this fare, it's still not even enough to qualify for Gold/Ruby which requires 40k LPs iiuc.

it's a good insight for AA flyers, though.

I haven't decided who to credit to, but probably to AS, the I fare gives 150% of the distance flown, so about 13k miles. Or possibly more. AS has rolled out a red carpet for disgruntled DL elites, I just applied for a status challenge, for my second time. They have once in a lifetime language, but I'll see.
If you're a base member you'll earn 5 LP's per dollar spent. Base Fare is 840 CAD or about 615 USD. That means you'd earn about 3075 LP's for the roundtrip. If you booked 4 of these you'd earn 12300 LP's, which is far short of gold, as you stated. If you figured out how to book this as a special fare though, your mileage earning would be fantastic!
Old Nov 4, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I'm aware that some AA Vacations bookings used to earn based on a the special fare chart and have booked such flights just to earn the extra loyalty points, but not all did. Now most AA Vacations packages earn 5 LP's for elite AAdvantage members based on the entire package subtotal price (excluding taxes and carrier-imposed fees), so an EXP would do better booking direct unless you save a ton of money on the package (booking direct you'd earn 11 LP's per dollar spent)! If you have a companion those earnings are cut in half.
If you're a base member you'll earn 5 LP's per dollar spent. Base Fare is 840 CAD or about 615 USD. That means you'd earn about 3075 LP's for the roundtrip. If you booked 4 of these you'd earn 12300 LP's, which is far short of gold, as you stated. If you figured out how to book this as a special fare though, your mileage earning would be fantastic!
Ah, that's a real punch to the gut. I've actually never been able to use an AA Vacations package because of the requirement the ticket must start in North America. It's rare for me to actually buy one originating there, but I recall everyone booking the old JFK-CGK fare via Vacations to get it credited on distance, had absolutely no idea that ended. Back to the drawing board trying to find a way to force special fares these days, I haven't been able to find a real consolidator for years.
cruser1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.