Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

CAI to SYD/MEL return 2252USD

CAI to SYD/MEL return 2252USD

Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:49 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: airponts
Posts: 137
CAI to SYD/MEL return 2252USD

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...5gBAQ&curr=USD

Fabulous fare to Sydney or Melbourne via DXB and Manilla ( long layovers)

Mileage not great as can credit to ANA or Philippines own scheme but at todays prices a bargain I think
kindagot is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 5:55 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan SE. BA-Gold
Posts: 637
Only problem about this long layover is that it is at Ninoy Airport...one of the worst airports IMO to hang for long layovers. I do agree that it is an excellent fare otherwise.
trooper likes this.
Eagle2000 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:23 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: airponts
Posts: 137
Originally Posted by Eagle2000
Only problem about this long layover is that it is at Ninoy Airport...one of the worst airports IMO to hang for long layovers. I do agree that it is an excellent fare otherwise.
Yeah, it's a toughie, depends on your budget I guess. I think I would be willing to do layover to save $3k. The price is economy level in recent times!
Eagle2000 likes this.
kindagot is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:45 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: BOS
Programs: UA 1k
Posts: 144
We did fly through MNL to SYD with a longish layover about 6 weeks ago. We were contemplating to enter the country instead of hanging out at the airport. However, that was a no go (at the time). There was some serious health scare going on and everyone who wanted to enter needed some sort of pre-registration, health documents and would have to pass through a medical screening at the airport and they were extremely strict about wearing masks everywhere. I don't think it was Covid related, but it sounded more like monkey pox or something like this. No idea whether that's still a thing or not.

They also pulled our checked luggage (which was checked through to SYD), brought us in to identify it and than rummaged through it. They did this apparently to everyone but missed a few people in the terminal: they pulled two guys out of the plane after they had already boarded to do the same song and dance. Again, no idea what that was about and whether that's still happening.

The lounge was workable but fairly cramped and boring. Not sure what the opening hours were, but our flight was the last one out and they were in serious cleanup mode when we left. The rest of the terminal that was accessible to us felt tiny. Not a great place for a long layover.
kindagot and Marschel like this.

Last edited by Hilmar Lehnert; Apr 23, 2023 at 6:50 am
Hilmar Lehnert is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 7:38 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SYD
Programs: QF Gold, CX Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Posts: 79
One way CAI-SYD on RJ (CAI-AMM-BKK) and QF (BKK-SYD) also available on some days for approximately AUD2000 which may work for some and is not a bad QF status credit earner.
Gold_Member and plas like this.
rabbits5 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:48 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: DTW
Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 401
Just go to Mall of Asia. Should take about 30 min at the most with traffic. Grab a bite to eat, get a massage, see a movie, etc. Not a big deal
Cthunder86 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 1:44 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: airponts
Posts: 137
Originally Posted by rabbits5
One way CAI-SYD on RJ (CAI-AMM-BKK) and QF (BKK-SYD) also available on some days for approximately AUD2000 which may work for some and is not a bad QF status credit earner.
That is a really good deal! Thank you!
trooper and Eagle2000 like this.
kindagot is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2023, 3:46 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Somewhere between BHX and HUY
Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Posts: 1,740
That's a great fare, thank you kindagot

It would help if you could please add the airlines in your summary.
Maestro Ramen is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2023, 4:01 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH, MNL
Programs: FB Gold
Posts: 979
Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
We did fly through MNL to SYD with a longish layover about 6 weeks ago. We were contemplating to enter the country instead of hanging out at the airport. However, that was a no go (at the time). There was some serious health scare going on and everyone who wanted to enter needed some sort of pre-registration, health documents and would have to pass through a medical screening at the airport and they were extremely strict about wearing masks everywhere. I don't think it was Covid related, but it sounded more like monkey pox or something like this. No idea whether that's still a thing or not.

They also pulled our checked luggage (which was checked through to SYD), brought us in to identify it and than rummaged through it. They did this apparently to everyone but missed a few people in the terminal: they pulled two guys out of the plane after they had already boarded to do the same song and dance. Again, no idea what that was about and whether that's still happening.

The lounge was workable but fairly cramped and boring. Not sure what the opening hours were, but our flight was the last one out and they were in serious cleanup mode when we left. The rest of the terminal that was accessible to us felt tiny. Not a great place for a long layover.
As there is no airside transfer in MNL, one has to be eligible for entry to the Philippines (don't worry, almost everyone is). Therefore it is mandatory to register with https://etravel.gov.ph free of charge to generate a QR code which eases immigration process. It's a fact, that the Philippines still is very much concerned about the spread of Covid19, so upon registration with https://etravel.gov.ph you're asked about your vaccination status. Without this, pre-immigration (QR-code check) can indeed be lengthy. Wearing of masks might be mandatory depending on the current mood .
I have no first hand experience about checked-through luggage, but probably they have to re-checked as well at MNL. BTW, by June 16 all international PAL flights will arrive and depart from NAIA Terminal 1 which might ease the transfer.
For the return flight it looks like one will have to overnight at MNL. There's no way you want to do that in the Terminal! Book a hotel in Pasay, Paraaque or Makati for this, which will probably add US-$ 50-200 to the trip cost (transfer included - depending on the comfort level you like).
Eagle2000 and Rim1 like this.
KL803 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.