Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

*A J ORD-LHR-ORD-PUJ Fall 2023 $2550

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2023, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia

OK, so I'm new to posting what I find on this forum, so my sincere apologies if this doesn't work or falls outside of what is considered a deal.

I was looking for round trip ORD-LHR in J, and noticed that the fair drops when I change to multi-city and add a later leg to various Caribbean destinations (seems to differ by the day which one works).

I didn't actually book it as I can't commit to the trip yet, but Expedia seemed to be able to price it. Hope this helps someone.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Looks like you stumbled into a "fuel dump" which has its whole other (cryptic) thread.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This is a "meh" fare...

J deals to Europe from the East Coast should be below $2k....
Old Mar 4, 2023, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
This is a "meh" fare...

Chicago is considered east coast?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

This is a "meh" fare...

Surprising as it may seem, there exists a type of user on this forum that flies to specific places, on specific dates, in order to actually visit those places. For such a person, a $2500 direct flight is better than $3500 direct flight, or a $1750 flight via Bogotà and Cairo.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hamburglar
For the purposes of this forum, yes, the US is split into three regions. Anything east of the line ORD-DFW is considered east coast....

Originally Posted by goldmarch
Surprising as it may seem, there exists a type of user on this forum that flies to specific places, on specific dates, in order to actually visit those places. For such a person, a $2500 direct flight is better than $3500 direct flight, or a $1750 flight via Bogotà and Cairo.
That's why I gave this fare one of my average ratings, that of "meh", and not a lower one...

Last edited by nk15; Mar 4, 2023 at 7:49 pm
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The $2550 fare is good for doing ORD-LHR-ORD, throwaway to PUJ included.

Originally Posted by hamburglar
Chicago is not “East Coast” — not geographically, not time zone, not otherwise. It’s American Midwest. Maybe the East Coast reference was for things east of the Mississippi River. But then that makes Houston and Dallas “West”. The Wild West, perhaps?
cheltzel, mcgahat and MaxVO like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 4, 2023 at 8:26 pm
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
This is a "meh" fare...

This isn't the East Coast, and while $2K might have been a good bar before the pandemic, $2500 is absolutely a good deal for travel in J to Europe.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TATL fares tend to increase substantively west of the ORD-DFW line, hence they may be lumped into east coast for fare purposes...
Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:03 am
BCH

Thank you, OP. I didn't realize that PUJ was a throwaway fare destination. Previously, I was looking at YYZ and NYC. But I'll add this to my mix. :-)
fbrdky likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:52 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
This is a "meh" fare...

You can originate west coast just fine. The problem is the return is actually a fare to caribbean with a stopover in the US. With the required detour to canada you don't have west coast options on the return due to MPM. I can cut it to under $2k if you're willing to start west coast and end ORD but at that point it should really be in another forum.
Alec84, nk15 and pguo like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
You can originate west coast just fine. The problem is the return is actually a fare to caribbean with a stopover in the US. With the required detour to canada you don't have west coast options on the return due to MPM. I can cut it to under $2k if you're willing to start west coast and end ORD but at that point it should really be in another forum.
A business class example of a West Coast start to Europe and ORD end for under $2k may be useful to some here.

Thanks in advance.
turbox3, pguo and rizrizriz like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BCH
Thank you, OP. I didn't realize that PUJ was a throwaway fare destination. Previously, I was looking at YYZ and NYC. But I'll add this to my mix. :-)
The added one way to the Caribbean is the most interesting part of this fare, IMO, and adds some more value to it. It's a free half trip there.

It can also be a throwaway, and we all know how UA feels about skiplagging.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:16 am

Programs: DL PM, Fairmont Premier, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
I can only get it down around $2200. The one-way to PUJ is a definitely useful in my case.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:39 am
Original Poster

This may well be much ado about nothing, seeing as I haven't actually proved that the ticket can be issued, but this fare does seem to be quite flexible. If you start in EWR, you can get a direct to LHR, both ways, for under $2K. Also, a few other Caribbean destinations work (Nassau, for example). The "throwaway" leg could actually be useful if you happen to be traveling to the islands over Thanksgiving, when prices are quite high and making a detour in Canada might be worth it.

Last edited by goldmarch; Mar 5, 2023 at 6:42 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.