Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Saudia: TUN to CGK/BKK from USD 960

Saudia: TUN to CGK/BKK from USD 960

Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by advisorytoptop
I had the same experience, nobody on the map, but the day I flew all flights were full, I couldnt believe it, to my opinion the 777 angle seat is easier to sleep than the full flat bed 777 (very narrow for the legs). I'm not sure you can check in one day before. The last time I was there when I arrived from Paris the night before, I had a 2h wait at the border it was really a chaos, too many people arrived and few customs officials, its dangerous to arrive the same day when the flight is at around 11.50am.
I thought it would be a long shot with Checking in baggage at an outstation the day before travel... Would have been nice though!
Thanks for the heads up on wait time. I'm happy we have plenty!
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Not sure this was mentioned: KUL also available for roughly the same price (booked direct with SV for €1050 per pax)
AurelAF96 and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by advisorytoptop
I had the same experience, nobody on the map, but the day I flew all flights were full, I couldnt believe it, to my opinion the 777 angle seat is easier to sleep than the full flat bed 777 (very narrow for the legs). I'm not sure you can check in one day before. The last time I was there when I arrived from Paris the night before, I had a 2h wait at the border it was really a chaos, too many people arrived and few customs officials, its dangerous to arrive the same day when the flight is at around 11.50am.
I'm not sure if you were doing an airside transfer through JED or entering the country.

ENTERING: Immigration can be crowded, but it's usually pretty efficient if you get in the right line and have a visa: post immigration there might be a bit of snarl up in the line for a security check on hand-baggage, but the line moves quickly. There's no routine customs inspection, though of course you could be stopped. Fingers crossed!

TRANSFER: The idea is you pass by the transfer desk where you are issued with a boarding card if you weren't given one at your origin. You then go through transfer security, after which you make your way up to the departure level and on to your the shops, lounge, hotel or directly to your gate. It can be quite straightforward, but things get sticky when there's a bunch of international arrivals. When that happens there's rarely a match between the number of transfer passengers and the number of security lines open, and the chaos gets worse when officials try to separate the crowd into women queues and men queues while shouting through passengers for immediately departing flights.
AurelAF96, 321 and Stil like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'm not sure if you were doing an airside transfer through JED or entering the country.

ENTERING: Immigration can be crowded, but it's usually pretty efficient if you get in the right line and have a visa: post immigration there might be a bit of snarl up in the line for a security check on hand-baggage, but the line moves quickly. There's no routine customs inspection, though of course you could be stopped. Fingers crossed!

TRANSFER: The idea is you pass by the transfer desk where you are issued with a boarding card if you weren't given one at your origin. You then go through transfer security, after which you make your way up to the departure level and on to your the shops, lounge, hotel or directly to your gate. It can be quite straightforward, but things get sticky when there's a bunch of international arrivals. When that happens there's rarely a match between the number of transfer passengers and the number of security lines open, and the chaos gets worse when officials try to separate the crowd into women queues and men queues while shouting through passengers for immediately departing flights.
Your description is really helpful for a person like me that hasn't been in transit at JED, but my understanding is that advisorytoptop meant TUN?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stil
Your description is really helpful for a person like me that hasn't been in transit at JED, but my understanding is that advisorytoptop meant TUN?

Ah, OK. my bad!
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Possible to add a stopover in Saudi for same price? Was planning to go next fall, wouldn't mind using a fare like this to end up in BKK on the back end.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by B744F14C172
Possible to add a stopover in Saudi for same price? Was planning to go next fall, wouldn't mind using a fare like this to end up in BKK on the back end.
+200 USD it seems...

Category 8: Stopover restrictions 2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH DIRECTION IN SAUDI ARABIA AT USD 200.00 EACH. INFANT IS FREE. A STOPOVER MAY NOT EXCEED 15 DAYS. OR - 2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH DIRECTION IN SAUDI ARABIA AT USD 400.00 EACH. INFANT IS FREE. A STOPOVER MAY NOT EXCEED 30 DAYS.
Sample Flights
Old Oct 5, 2022, 7:19 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite
There is a first for everything! I just checked my JED-CGK flight in Expertflyer and the 777-300 had a total of 2 occupied seats in any class, Ms. Stil and me.... Looking forward to off the chart service in J

Now to a more serious question. We will arrive to TUN (AF) the day before our flight to JED. Is it possible to Check-in luggage when we arrive?
Doubt it. In general be careful with TUN, it can be extremely chaotic with long lines so allow enough time. Also note that biz/priority check-in is at a seperate area in the middle of check-in hall, not a counter next to eco (at least last time I flew with TK from TUN).
Stil likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Hafnia
Doubt it. In general be careful with TUN, it can be extremely chaotic with long lines so allow enough time. Also note that biz/priority check-in is at a seperate area in the middle of check-in hall, not a counter next to eco (at least last time I flew with TK from TUN).
Great Thanks!
Is it a joint elite/business check-in area for all airlines?

​​Is there priority security?

We have a flight at 11:40 any suggestion on time of arrival at TUN?

Last edited by Stil; Oct 6, 2022 at 8:49 am
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Great Thanks!
Is it a joint elite/business check-in area for all airlines?

Is there priority security?

We have a flight at 11:40 any suggestion on time of arrival at TUN?
The night before
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:52 am

My last post wasn't very reader friendly so I'll write a couple of questions again in regards to SV in TUN.

1. Is it a joint elite/business check-in area for all airlines in the middle of the check-in "hall"?

2. ​​​​Is there priority security?

3. We have a flight at 11:40 any suggestion on time of arrival at TUN for Check-in? (we arrive in Tunis the day before our SV flight).

4. Has any of you successfully interlined baggage between Saudia and Garuda out of TUN? (I'm most probably flying CGK-Labuan Bajo with Garuda).

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My last post wasn't very reader friendly so I'll write a couple of questions again in regards to SV in TUN.

1. Is it a joint elite/business check-in area for all airlines in the middle of the check-in "hall"?

2. ​​​​Is there priority security?

3. We have a flight at 11:40 any suggestion on time of arrival at TUN for Check-in? (we arrive in Tunis the day before our SV flight).

4. Has any of you successfully interlined baggage between Saudia and Garuda out of TUN? (I'm most probably flying CGK-Labuan Bajo with Garuda).

Thanks in advance
I don't know which is your home airport, but at many the return to something approaching pre-covid passenger activity is stretching the covid-reduced work force so that three hours before departure time is often set as the time you should plan around for arriving at the airport. In practice two hours might be a sensible compromise: that's certainly the latest I would aim for if I had bags to check-in..

Tunisair doesn't buck the trend, and advises a three-hour envelope around airport formalities for Tunis. Saudia recommends the same for international departures. It's probably better to aim towards complying with their advice rather than that of internet strangers.

Clearly it would be great if you could check in your bags at Tunis and not see them again until you get to Komodo airport, Garuda certainly used to transfer baggage directly from international to domestic services. Whether that facility still exists, and is extended to interlining with alliance partners and separate tickets, I don't know. There is an interline agreement between the two carriers; but even if it is active, whether agents at an out-station like Tunis can access it is something we look forward to learning from you
Stil likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: Many
SV and GA have of course interline agreement.
Although in my experience (flew several times with the FCO-JED-CGK SV fare followed by separate CGK-SIN with GA) it has always been impossible to check baggage through.
Maybe agents in TUN will be more helpful than in FCO.
Stil likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I don't know which is your home airport, but at many the return to something approaching pre-covid passenger activity is stretching the covid-reduced work force so that three hours before departure time is often set as the time you should plan around for arriving at the airport. In practice two hours might be a sensible compromise: that's certainly the latest I would aim for if I had bags to check-in..

Tunisair doesn't buck the trend, and advises a three-hour envelope around airport formalities for Tunis. Saudia recommends the same for international departures. It's probably better to aim towards complying with their advice rather than that of internet strangers.

Clearly it would be great if you could check in your bags at Tunis and not see them again until you get to Komodo airport, Garuda certainly used to transfer baggage directly from international to domestic services. Whether that facility still exists, and is extended to interlining with alliance partners and separate tickets, I don't know. There is an interline agreement between the two carriers; but even if it is active, whether agents at an out-station like Tunis can access it is something we look forward to learning from you
Thank you for the sorough answer of my question in this thread and regarding VOA extension.(visa on arrival) in a nother thread.

I will then aim for 3 hour check-in time at TUN. Luckely I have been spared airport kaos on my normal TATL commute (CHP-YUL) mainly because I learned in an early stage to steer away from AMS for my connecting flights. And of cource luck with not having to frequent an airport on a daily basis.

I will certainly keep you posted regarding my interlining adventure in TUN ​​​
jfkeze and Hafnia like this.

Last edited by Stil; Oct 7, 2022 at 12:05 am
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:48 pm

Maybe a little bit off-topic, but it might be interesting for people in this topic. Saudia seems to also have good fares from Athens to Singapore. Not as good as the deals that we have seen earlier, but still nice. Downsides are that dates are quite limited and that this seems only bookable on OTAs. And a technical stop in Male is of course also not perfect if you want to sleep during the flight.

MaxFlyer, sokolov and Stil like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.