FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   TK - CDG to BKK Euro 1486 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/2090299-tk-cdg-bkk-euro-1486-a.html)

ExpatSomchai Aug 10, 2022 4:36 pm

TK - CDG to BKK Euro 1486

With the current pricing being seen it was a little relief to see TK coming in with some competitive fares out of Paris. Seems wide open as well from the end of November.

Round trip to Bangkok | Google Flights

greenender Aug 11, 2022 12:36 am

Maybe this is obvious, but why from IST it is much more expensive ?

Deckter Aug 11, 2022 2:14 am

Because that's how airline pricing works. IST travellers that want to fly directly to BKK have only one airline to choose from (no competition), the comfort of a direct flight comes at a price and maybe TK wants to win some market share on this route.

Flying noob Aug 11, 2022 3:55 am

It's a fifth freedom flight. It basically means that airlines not based in one country are allowed to fly to another 3rd party country.

So Turkish airlines, not based out of Paris, is allowed to fly to Bangkok.

Typically these flights are cheaper as they serve as repositioning flights.

It's one of the 9 freedoms of air if you want to read more about it (freedom #5, why it's called a fifth freedom flight).

I tried posting the wiki link but apparently I need to post more before I can link URLs :)

dsf Aug 11, 2022 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Flying noob (Post 34505419)
It's a fifth freedom flight. It basically means that airlines not based in one country are allowed to fly to another 3rd party country.

It's one of the 9 freedoms of air if you want to read more about it (freedom #5, why it's called a fifth freedom flight).

I tried posting the wiki link but apparently I need to post more before I can link URLs :)

No, these aren't fifth freedom flights. If you click through to the itinerary you'll see it's a one-stop trip via IST. The reason it's cheaper is that TK needs to offer a discount to folk originating in Paris as a trade-off for the inconvenience of an indirect journey, as @Deckter says.

Here's a link to the freedoms of the air: https://www.icao.int/pages/freedomsair.aspx

sjc2679 Aug 11, 2022 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Flying noob (Post 34505419)

Sorry, but it's not CDG to BKK direct. It's CDG-IST, IST-BKK. Not a fifth freedom flight.

Edit: Beaten by @dsf

jampoco Aug 11, 2022 6:39 am

Good deal thanks for sharing. CDG to Asia has a few nicely priced routes right now it seems.

On the topic of weird airline pricing, I really can't understand why the GVA-SFO round trip is typically priced at $500 while the SFO-GVA round trip is priced at $1000... For identical routings from 2 wealthy cities.

Deckter Aug 11, 2022 6:47 am

Originally Posted by jampoco (Post 34505675)
Good deal thanks for sharing. CDG to Asia has a few nicely priced routes right now it seems.

On the topic of weird airline pricing, I really can't understand why the GVA-SFO round trip is typically priced at $500 while the SFO-GVA round trip is priced at $1000... For identical routings from 2 wealthy cities.

Wealthy or not, is it pretty much inconceivable for Europeans to pay 1000$ for a TATL economy ticket, while Americans wouldn't bat an eyelid at that price.

SK AAR Aug 11, 2022 6:53 am

It has been like this for a long time. Fares ex. US are in general much higher than ex. Europe. Nothing new. As stated by previous poster for Europeans a USD 1k ticket to the US would be considered very expensive (as can often be purchased for USD 350-400 in low season)

Reason: Apparently the airlines are able to demand higher prices for tickets originating in the US. It is all about what markets demand and accept.

jampoco Aug 11, 2022 8:02 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 34505720)
Reason: Apparently the airlines are able to demand higher prices for tickets originating in the US. It is all about what markets demand and accept.

Interesting - thanks both. Airline price discrimination is an incredible case study from an economics standpoint.

And I guess with the way its set up Americans quite heavily subsidise European transatlantic travel then!

tracon Aug 11, 2022 8:39 am

Originally Posted by jampoco (Post 34505921)
And I guess with the way its set up Americans quite heavily subsidise European transatlantic travel then!

And in exchange, demand created by European low fares subsdises the frequency Americans want.

PxC Aug 11, 2022 8:56 pm

Just taken CDG-MNL//BKK-CDG in November on Oman for £1.8k. Given the current climate it seems like a bargain. Fantastic product as well, better than QR for me (better seat and lounges and everything else is about identical, minus oneworld TP/avios)

EmailKid Aug 11, 2022 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by PxC (Post 34508015)
Just taken CDG-MNL//BKK-CDG in November on Oman for £1.8k. Given the current climate it seems like a bargain. Fantastic product as well, better than QR for me (better seat and lounges and everything else is about identical, minus oneworld TP/avios)

Ah, but plus *A / UA Mileage Plus :)

Just need to get across the pond .... friends in Thailand keep asking why I've been away so long. Very tempting now that Euro has reached parity with US dollar.

Travel Todi Aug 12, 2022 1:43 am

Oman Air -> oneworld 2024

Originally Posted by PxC (Post 34508015)

Wait until 2024 when Oman Air will join to OneWorld... At least that's when I wish to explore them and their services!!!

Travel Todi Aug 12, 2022 1:48 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai (Post 34504334)
With the current pricing being seen it was a little relief to see TK coming in with some competitive fares out of Paris. Seems wide open as well from the end of November.

Round trip to Bangkok | Google Flights

Great find and good price. There are 2 fligths per day from CDG to IST (morning and afternoon) using widebody typically A330 (2-2-2 old seats), but sometimes B787 or A350 (1-2-1 much better seats). So you might wish to focus on those.