Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AF/ KL: LAX/LAS/DFW/JFK-DXB for $2650 to $3060 biz class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM

Air France and KLM have a smattering of discount (Z fare) round trips from various USA cities to Dubai from August to December. I did not check past December.

The price is cheapest for departures from JFK and DFW, and is $3060 for LAX. I booked LAX-CDG-DXB-CDG-AMS-LAX for Nov 14, return Nov 20. Only one discount seat is still available on the 11/14 departure. There are more LAX departures on August 11 and 13 for example. In general, August has the most availability.

JFK and DFW as departure cities are the easiest to find, and LAS is the hardest. Some cities have connecting Delta domestic USA flights with AF or KL codeshare flight numbers. For example, I saw a DFW-MSP-CDG-DXB flight for a sale price, but no sale price for just MSP-CDG-DXB on the same date. Yeah, I know, fortress hub city pricing.

This is bookable through Delta or Air France/KLM. I suggest booking through Air France particularly for those wanting Delta MQD's because you get 40% of miles flown as MQD's with AF or KLM flight numbers. I think any changes get handled by the airline with the first transatlantic leg. So if choosing between Air France or KLM's website, I'd go with that.

In paying for my Air France ticket , MasterCard declined the change, but Amex went through. That's been my experience that Amex works in cases when VISA and MC don't.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jul 27, 2022 at 6:03 pm
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
literally just returned from DXB yesterday on the prior IAH-DXB deal for $1700, which netted Silver Medallion in one go. So I'll need to see this cheaper than the current emanation before doing another one

Was fun though! AF outbound (772/77W) and KL coming back (772/789). the 777s on both carriers are showing their age, particularly AF, although their 1-2-1 config beats KLM's 2-2-2 for sure. the KL 789 was probably the highlight.
PanAmSam, olouie and mecabq like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Air France and KLM have a smattering of discount (Z fare) round trips from various USA cities to Dubai from August to December. I did not check past December.

The price is cheapest for departures from JFK and DFW, and is $3060 for LAX. I booked LAX-CDG-DXB-CDG-AMS-LAX for Nov 14, return Nov 20. Only one discount seat is still available on the 11/14 departure. There are more LAX departures on August 11 and 13 for example. In general, August has the most availability.

JFK and DFW as departure cities are the easiest to find, and LAS is the hardest. Some cities have connecting Delta domestic USA flights with AF or KL codeshare flight numbers. For example, I saw a DFW-MSP-CDG-DXB flight for a sale price, but no sale price for just MSP-CDG-DXB on the same date. Yeah, I know, fortress hub city pricing.

This is bookable through Delta or Air France/KLM. I suggest booking through Air France particularly for those wanting Delta MQD's because you get 40% of miles flown as MQD's with AF or KLM flight numbers. I think any changes get handled by the airline with the first transatlantic leg. So if choosing between Air France or KLM's website, I'd go with that.

In paying for my Air France ticket , MasterCard declined the change, but Amex went through. That's been my experience that Amex works in cases with VISA or MC don't.
I think you can get some discount between 150-250 dollars if you use AmEx Travel and use Amex Platinum card to pay.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:35 pm
formerly willbbiddy

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
literally just returned from DXB yesterday on the prior IAH-DXB deal for $1700, which netted Silver Medallion in one go. So I'll need to see this cheaper than the current emanation before doing another one

Was fun though! AF outbound (772/77W) and KL coming back (772/789). the 777s on both carriers are showing their age, particularly AF, although their 1-2-1 config beats KLM's 2-2-2 for sure. the KL 789 was probably the highlight.
Were you offered a buy up to P on your AF 777 flights? How much was it? Going next month on the same deal. Should lock up platinum for another year.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by BirdLawyer
Were you offered a buy up to P on your AF 777 flights? How much was it? Going next month on the same deal. Should lock up platinum for another year.
negative, flight was P0 a few days out ... kinda surprised. Although I didn't even make it to dessert during the J service so probably better I didn't spend the money on La Premier.

first world problems haha.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Can this offer be booked to start from Dxb To arrive sfo?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:53 am
formerly willbbiddy

negative, flight was P0 a few days out ... kinda surprised. Although I didn't even make it to dessert during the J service so probably better I didn't spend the money on La Premier.

first world problems haha.
Thanks. What was your check in experience like? I've heard mixed reports on insurance checks and CDC (no QR code) cards being accepted/rejected.
I'm on a separate itenerary from ATL, with a 4.5hr connection. Hoping I can do OLCI and not have to go airside.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 10:22 pm

Thanks. What was your check in experience like? I've heard mixed reports on insurance checks and CDC (no QR code) cards being accepted/rejected.
I'm on a separate itenerary from ATL, with a 4.5hr connection. Hoping I can do OLCI and not have to go airside.
Check-in at IAH took 30 seconds. I kept trying to shove all of my paperwork at the contract agent, and she couldn't be bothered with it. OK then!
Maybe I uploaded my vaccination information into the AirFrance app before the flight. I can't remember now. Once I checked in at the counter, my boarding passes appeared on the app with the "READY2FLY" indicator on them, and I used the app boarding passes to scan at the gate. Nobody in Paris - OR DUBAI! - asked to see ANY other documentation. None.

Full disclosure- I had purchased travel insurance last year for a trip to Jordan, since they required it. I dug out that old .pdf, used adobe acrobat to edit the dates and country to "United Arab Emirates" and re-printed it. et voila! Instant travel insurance. Yes, my new mid-life calling is apparently a document forger. I honestly don't care. Like you've read RE: DXB, its hit or miss. The Timatic map does say travel insurance is required. I'm pretty sure the immigration agent isn't going to make phone calls to the insurance company to verify the coverage is actually the same as what it says on your sheet. But they didn't even look. I think they just want you to be insured when you're in the country. I'm not advocating you or anyone else do this per se ... but that was my experience.

For you- I would try app check-in first, and if it doesn't work, go landside. Terminal 4 Pre-Check was not very fast, but with 4.5 hours, you'll have time to re-clear. Terminal D is under renovations and is pretty dumpy. Unless you have Centurion lounge access, the AF and KL lounge options there aren't worthy of a second glance. Both AF an KL operated the day I was there so everything was packed. And because everyone is a contract agent there, you might not have a GA at the gate until closer to boarding. So I would definitely go landside if you can't get the BP on the app.
BirdLawyer likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:55 am
formerly willbbiddy

Check-in at IAH took 30 seconds. I kept trying to shove all of my paperwork at the contract agent, and she couldn't be bothered with it. OK then!
Maybe I uploaded my vaccination information into the AirFrance app before the flight. I can't remember now. Once I checked in at the counter, my boarding passes appeared on the app with the "READY2FLY" indicator on them, and I used the app boarding passes to scan at the gate. Nobody in Paris - OR DUBAI! - asked to see ANY other documentation. None.

Full disclosure- I had purchased travel insurance last year for a trip to Jordan, since they required it. I dug out that old .pdf, used adobe acrobat to edit the dates and country to "United Arab Emirates" and re-printed it. et voila! Instant travel insurance. Yes, my new mid-life calling is apparently a document forger. I honestly don't care. Like you've read RE: DXB, its hit or miss. The Timatic map does say travel insurance is required. I'm pretty sure the immigration agent isn't going to make phone calls to the insurance company to verify the coverage is actually the same as what it says on your sheet. But they didn't even look. I think they just want you to be insured when you're in the country. I'm not advocating you or anyone else do this per se ... but that was my experience.

For you- I would try app check-in first, and if it doesn't work, go landside. Terminal 4 Pre-Check was not very fast, but with 4.5 hours, you'll have time to re-clear. Terminal D is under renovations and is pretty dumpy. Unless you have Centurion lounge access, the AF and KL lounge options there aren't worthy of a second glance. Both AF an KL operated the day I was there so everything was packed. And because everyone is a contract agent there, you might not have a GA at the gate until closer to boarding. So I would definitely go landside if you can't get the BP on the app.
Wow, great info. Thank you.

How was transit in AMS? I'm pretty sure the meltdown is just for checking in / security there. Did you check bags? Were they lost? We're just carrying on, warm weather makes packing easy
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:56 pm

Wow, great info. Thank you.

How was transit in AMS? I'm pretty sure the meltdown is just for checking in / security there. Did you check bags? Were they lost? We're just carrying on, warm weather makes packing easy
no checked bags. DXB-AMS landed at 555am and I was the first passenger in transit security. empty. went directly to the KLM Crown Lounge non-schengen, which was also was empty but will get progressively fuller as you wait. I would go directly there, book showers and get good seats. It will resemble ATL B SkyClub (cafeteria) by the time you leave.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta
Hi. Can I ask what will be your MQM's fo this trip? Can you clarify? I did not understand what you meant about the MQD's and getting 40% of miles?? What do you get if booking directly with Delta? I am a flight nurse with Diamond Status and would love to keep that but I will need 40K miles to qualify.

Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta
Hi Bowgie!
Where do you find these routes/classes of tix? I do not understand the 40% piece when booking w/ AF or KLM? Not booking directly with DElta is more advantageous? I am confused...
Thank you!
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Bowgie

In paying for my Air France ticket , MasterCard declined the change, but Amex went through. That's been my experience that Amex works in cases when VISA and MC don't.
On Air France site, I been searching for $1,700 Z-class fare for DFW/DXB but can't seems to find it in September. Is it gone or there is something I am not doing right?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shumayun
On Air France site, I been searching for $1,700 Z-class fare for DFW/DXB but can't seems to find it in September. Is it gone or there is something I am not doing right?
That fare is gone.
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer View Post
"...just returned from DXB yesterday on the prior IAH-DXB deal for $1700, which netted Silver Medallion in one go. So I'll need to see this cheaper than the current emanation before doing another one."

Last edited by Bowgie; Aug 4, 2022 at 1:10 am
Old Aug 1, 2022, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by walkswithdogs
Hi. Can I ask what will be your MQM's fo this trip? Can you clarify? I did not understand what you meant about the MQD's and getting 40% of miles?? What do you get if booking directly with Delta? I am a flight nurse with Diamond Status and would love to keep that but I will need 40K miles to qualify.
A full discussion is off-topic to this thread, which is just for posting the deals themselves. See the Delta Air Lines forum. Briefly, status on Delta requires a combination of distance flying (MQM's = miles) and money spend with Delta (MQD = dollars). Cheap long haul flights on some Delta partners earn more MQD's than the corresponding flights sold by Delta. Partner MQD earnings in some cases are equal to 40% of the miles flown (not what the ticket costs!). Again refer to the Delta Air Lines thread for complete info on earning status.
Pocatello and JBJ2435 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.