Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Mileage Run Deals

Premium Fare Deals

AA:JL:QF spin off JFK LAX TYO SYD CGK 2550 business

AA:JL:QF spin off JFK LAX TYO SYD CGK 2550 business

Old Jul 21, 22, 12:53 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Ashleygetaround View Post
Maybe it's because it's 1 am but when I try to force the transpacific leg into R fare class, and force the route through SYD it doesn't work. I feel like I am missing the trick. Any hint would be appreciated. (I'm not a matrix novice before anyone yells at me for asking for help.)
Well i am a matrix and a forum novice and would appreciate the silver spoon treatment so that i can learn myself .. any help appreciated and a link to that help is appreciated if anyone can help 😊
yasmeen_ramjohn is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 12:57 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Northeast
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
nah sydney transfer is allowed. Its just not the obvious or time efficient choice that aa would show it
Oh I thought that unexplained $275 surcharge for exact same fare basis was for stopover
SourSweetTea is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 1:23 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 9,159
Can someone bother to post a GF link with SYD that we can all use as starting point to play with, It is always way easier to come back to this thread and use it, and ITA matrix takes more time...

It is 2:23 am, and this is too much work...
nk15 is online now  
Old Jul 21, 22, 1:24 am
  #19  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 38,000 feet
Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, Bamboo First, AF Elite+, AV Diamond, A3 G
Posts: 5,978
Originally Posted by SourSweetTea View Post
Oh I thought that unexplained $275 surcharge for exact same fare basis was for stopover
ah almost -- you were thinking not badly my friend

stopovers (>24h) are allowed at 100usd per stopover extra.

the 275usd extra is because the itinerary via SYD exceeds MPM (MAXIMUM PERMITTED MILEAGE) and thus attracts a surcharge - for every 5% of extra mileage flown you pay 5% extra base fare, with maximum at 25% extra mileage allowed.
nk15 and williwaw like this.
nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 1:25 am
  #20  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 38,000 feet
Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, Bamboo First, AF Elite+, AV Diamond, A3 G
Posts: 5,978
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
Can someone bother to post a GF link with SYD that we can all use as starting point to play with, It is always way easier to come back to this thread and use it, and ITA matrix takes more time...
Unfortunately neither GF nor airlines direct online will sell you this --> the only way is to play with ITA or use agent/call airline to book
EuropeanPete and nk15 like this.
nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 1:31 am
  #21  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 38,000 feet
Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, Bamboo First, AF Elite+, AV Diamond, A3 G
Posts: 5,978
Originally Posted by Ashleygetaround View Post
Maybe it's because it's 1 am but when I try to force the transpacific leg into R fare class, and force the route through SYD it doesn't work. I feel like I am missing the trick. Any hint would be appreciated. (I'm not a matrix novice before anyone yells at me for asking for help.)
As a favour here is a sample of ITA matrix that works - again there is plenty of availability and the itinerary can be catered to your needs (including adding stopovers >24hours for 100usd extra)


nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 1:33 am
  #22  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 38,000 feet
Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, Bamboo First, AF Elite+, AV Diamond, A3 G
Posts: 5,978
Minimum stay is 1 night and maximum 3 transfers --> so i think it's not possible to optimise this any further - but happy to be proven wrong

Obviously pick JAL legs marketed by american for transpacific legs if like me you prefer JAL service
tobikosan, Air Houston and nk15 like this.
nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 1:35 am
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 25,402
Even without the SYD routing, JFK-DFW/LAX/SFO-TYO-CGK roundtrip in Business should yield oneworld Sapphire status if credited to Iberia Plus.
lsquare likes this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 1:41 am
  #24  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 38,000 feet
Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, Bamboo First, AF Elite+, AV Diamond, A3 G
Posts: 5,978
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Even without the SYD routing, JFK-DFW/LAX/SFO-TYO-CGK roundtrip in Business should yield oneworld Sapphire status if credited to Iberia Plus.
yeah but whats the fun in that? hahaha
nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 1:43 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 9,159
I am already AA/OW Emerald from buying giftcards, what am I supposed to do with this...actually travel?
nk15 is online now  
Old Jul 21, 22, 1:55 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Posts: 4,869
I'm guessing that It's impossible to get the JFK-LAX-HND and v.v. on JL codes? AA codes are no good for AAdvantage members, drastically reduces earning, though those QF C sectors are sexy for AAdvantage earning.

In theory this should be bookable on JL7515-JL15 and back on JL16-JL7514, the JL fare is nearly identical to the AA fare, except the JL fare may actually be cheaper, I found this text in the AA routing rules:
TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 2000 MILES APPLIES WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA DFW OR LAX
But nothing I'm trying on Matrix will pull this up with the JL Codes, just to get AA codes I have to manually enter the flight numbers.

The JL fare also seems better for those wanting a stopover in Japan (yes it's still closed for non-residents)
HIP/MILEAGE EXCEPTIONS: JAPAN IS EXCLUDED FROM THE HIGHER INTERMEDIATE POINT RULE FOR STOPOVERS.
The AA fare does not have that exception, so assume a Japan stopover will trigger a much higher fare.

Last edited by dvs7310; Jul 21, 22 at 2:29 am
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 2:12 am
  #27  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 38,000 feet
Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, Bamboo First, AF Elite+, AV Diamond, A3 G
Posts: 5,978
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
I'm guessing that It's impossible to get the JFK-LAX-HND and v.v. on JL codes? AA codes are no good for AAdvantage members, drastically reduces earning, though those QF C sectors are sexy for AAdvantage earning.
it's possible to do JFK LAX TYO CGK on JAL codes and jal ticket for roughly 2500usd --> if that is of interest. but on the SYD variation only AA codes work. that is why i mentioned this is v appealing to BA which attracts high avios and qualifying tier points earning
nk15 likes this.
nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 3:00 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Posts: 4,869
Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
it's possible to do JFK LAX TYO CGK on JAL codes and jal ticket for roughly 2500usd --> if that is of interest. but on the SYD variation only AA codes work. that is why i mentioned this is v appealing to BA which attracts high avios and qualifying tier points earning
Since you're an actual travel agent, do you know what it is that's allowing the AA codes but not JL? The JL fare seems to be more permissive just from myself reading on Expertflyer. I tried it with JL 5 and JL 6 as well (JFK non-stops) to no avail.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 3:04 am
  #29  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 38,000 feet
Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, Bamboo First, AF Elite+, AV Diamond, A3 G
Posts: 5,978
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Since you're an actual travel agent, do you know what it is that's allowing the AA codes but not JL? The JL fare seems to be more permissive just from myself reading on Expertflyer. I tried it with JL 5 and JL 6 as well (JFK non-stops) to no avail.
its a complicated one but:
the routing on direct JL omits LAX - however Lax allows 2000additional mileage bonus (part of routing rules) this routing JFK TYO SYD CGK is just too long! The only way to do it with Syd is via lax, and thats only doable on AA fare which doesnt allow JL prime numbers from my reading of rules
36902BRF likes this.
nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 22, 3:53 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NT Australia
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 3,883
Wonder if it works ex CGK for us QFers
wandering_fred likes this.
nancypants is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread