Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA:JL:QF spin off JFK LAX TYO SYD CGK £2550 business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] AA:JL:QF spin off JFK LAX TYO SYD CGK £2550 business

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
FYI guys we now have a small FLYING DO happening with several members flying on:
JFK-LAX-HND (20 APR)
HND-SYD (21APR)
SYD-CGK (22APR)
CGK-NRT-BOS-LAX (23 APR)
LAX-JFK(24APR)
Comes to 3000usd and is still available for the brave who want to join for what will be 65 hours in air and 12 hours in Jakarta :-)

If you wanna be booked on this feel free to ping me and I will add you to the crazy group and get you sorted with the right flights etc...
I’m very interested but would prefer to add a trip to syd for a few days

Last edited by ILAZXFE; Sep 25, 2022 at 11:01 am
Old Sep 25, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
I booked through IAP 11/4 departure JFK-NRT, 11/9 departure NRT-CGK and 11/10 return 11/10 CGK-JFK for $2200 all on JL yesterday. Need the AA LPs.
thanks for sharing! Guess I’m late again that the fare increased about $500 now
Old Sep 25, 2022, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Quail
Kinda. I have booked lots of the AA one with stopovers in TYO and no HIP check was enforced when autopricing. Yet sometimes it is. I still don't understand why yet. Maybe I should spend a few minutes and go look for a pattern...
What’s interesting is that for the same dates, routing through KUL wouldn’t trigger the HIP check, while routing through SYD would. When I was searching for dates around 2 weeks ago, they were all pricing normally but now some aren’t. Sounds like truly a YMMV situation.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Not to harp on this, but you are sure you're not pricing the JL fare when not HIP checked, right? It allows routing via KUL and not SYD:

Code:
   FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 13JAN20
     3 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION IN YVR/
     CONTIGUOUS U.S.A./PUERTO RICO/US VIRGIN ISLANDS/
     MEXICO IN EACH DIRECTION
     AND - 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION
                IN JAPAN/INDONESIA IN EACH DIRECTION
           FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND
           EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE
           COMPONENT.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by findark
Not to harp on this, but you are sure you're not pricing the JL fare when not HIP checked, right? It allows routing via KUL and not SYD:
Not sure about the KUL example, but for the general HIP check conversation:

Here is one I ticketed within the last few days, but with different dates. Inventory off.
Stopover appears in the fare construction and you can see the fare was increased by $100 because of it. Can add a stopover in TYO on the return too, and it only adds $100.
I plan to look into this more deeply today.

Last edited by Quail; Sep 26, 2022 at 8:05 am
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:34 am

OK *facepalm* I think I figured it out, didn't take long once I actually sat down to do it.
I started calculating the HIP check manually with my trusty IATA ticketing handbook, and found that no AA R fares applied on those dates with those flights between NYC and TYO.
The comment about AA not applying HIP checks in TYO earlier in this thread is a red herring. The HIP check definitely applies, but there is nothing to check against since the (public) filed NYC-TYO AA R fares are very restrictive, especially on dates.

Examples above: one where the HIP check actually does raise the price followed by an example on basically the same dates where it does not:
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Interesting. I think it's a bit more than R fares, because SYD will HIP check using INXQFVN1 as the lowest fare.

Maybe there is a rule against using normal fares for the check? JFK :: AA171 LAX AA8453 :: HND is valid, but only using J1Y08IN5 because of the holes in the fare table you mention. I also might be confused about the AA fare class ordering.
Quail likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by findark
Interesting. I think it's a bit more than R fares, because SYD will HIP check using INXQFVN1 as the lowest fare.

Maybe there is a rule against using normal fares for the check? JFK :: AA171 LAX AA8453 :: HND is valid, but only using J1Y08IN5 because of the holes in the fare table you mention. I also might be confused about the AA fare class ordering.
J1Y08IN5 is Rule P101 but RLE08MN2 is Rule P102. I think (but am not certain - looking for evidence) that this is why J1Y08IN5 is not used. But there are other J P102 fares... looking into it more.

Edit: Actually maybe there aren't others, I am only getting NYC-TYO to price using fares governed by rule P101. Looking for a counterexample.
Broader point though: there is logic for determining whether a fare is "comparable" for the purposes of a HIP check, and I think that is the key here.

https://www.aa.com/content/images/ta...nal-tariff.pdf (e.g. page 212) may have clues.

Last edited by Quail; Sep 26, 2022 at 10:33 am
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
I booked a variation of this on ANA via united. JAL combos for my dates weren't bookable. Seems like decent price for ANA business class(suites from JFK to HND)

ANA Business Class $2700 USD
JFK - HND
HND - CGK
CGK - JFK

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...K34VYrd5d2sYk6
vistaril likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, some pretty crazy-long routings (EWR-LAX-LIH-SFO-NRT-SIN-ICN-CGK) were booked on the *A variant earlier. It is a routed fare.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34474572-post107.html
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Has anyone actually flown the SYD AA version yet and credited to AA? I'm curious what they are giving for NYC-TYO in PPs. Knowing AA it could be something ridiculous like $200 each way and attributing the rest to the QF segments.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 12:49 pm

Anyone happen to know for those crediting back to AA what the following would earn for Loyalty Points for this run:

Outbound:
JFK-LAX-HND (AA Marketed ‘R’ business class)
HND-SYD-CGK (QF Marketed ‘C’ business class)

Return:
CGK-SYD-HND (QF Marketed ‘C’ business class)
HND-LAX-JFK (AA Marketed ‘R’ business class)

Fare before taxes approx. $1,500 each way. (Approx $3,500 r/t with taxes & fees)

* I’m ExPlat and will be booking with the AA Citi Executive World Elite Mastercard

thank you for any help figuring this out before I pull the trigger!

Last edited by Magnum9; Oct 15, 2022 at 12:56 pm
Old Oct 15, 2022, 2:57 pm

Quail was fantastic in helping to book an itinerary that worked. I recommend reaching out to him
dvs7310 and jef787 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: AA ExP, Globalist
Originally Posted by Magnum9
Anyone happen to know for those crediting back to AA what the following would earn for Loyalty Points for this run:

thank you for any help figuring this out before I pull the trigger!
This site's been useful to me to estimate loyalty points for various options, Magnum
https://lpcalculator.com/
Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by jef787
This site's been useful to me to estimate loyalty points for various options, Magnum
https://lpcalculator.com/
This is straightforward when it's all AA or all partner marketed flights, but isn't it trickier when there is a mix of AA and partner marketed flights? Does that site help with that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.