Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA:JL:QF spin off JFK LAX TYO SYD CGK £2550 business

[PREM FARE GONE] AA:JL:QF spin off JFK LAX TYO SYD CGK £2550 business

Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:36 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Pochama
Is the SYD routing still available?
yes but no stopover (only transit in Sydney allowed)
Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:42 am

Is it possible to have the stopover in SYD?

1 AA 1R 29NOV 2 JFKLAX*SS1 0730 1050 /DCAA /E
2 AA8453R 29NOV 2 LAXHND*SS1 1230 1730 30NOV 3 /DCAA /E
OPERATED BY JAPAN AIRLINES
3 QF 26C 30NOV 3 HNDSYD SS1 2200 0950 01DEC 4 /DCQF /E
4 QF 41C 06JAN 5 SYDCGK SS1 1355 1730 /DCQF /E
5 AA8498R 09JAN 1 CGKNRT*SS1 2125 0645 10JAN 2 /DCAA /E
OPERATED BY JAPAN AIRLINES
6 AA8403R 10JAN 2 HNDJFK*SS1 1105 1000 /DCAA /E

Forcing the fare basis in sends back a stopover error... Can anyone see what I'm missing please? (I know there's a NRT HND transfer but that's all I could get R class on)
Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
yes but no stopover (only transit in Sydney allowed)
Ahah damn, missed your post by about 10mins!
Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:47 am

SYD is in Area 3 thought right...?

What does gateway mean in the stopover paragraph? I thought gateway was just the last airport departed prior to destination?

08.STOPOVERS
2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH
DIRECTION AT USD 100.00 EACH
CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY.
AT THE GATEWAY IN AREA 3
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Long time no noise - the AA/JL fare is still there and hasn't been pulled (to my great surprise)
Wow... I was just thinking about this the other day too. I need to decide if I want to spend ~$800-900 USD to hit MVPG by EOY or just go all-in and do this with BA or whichever OneWorld in the spring.

-J.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Jorma
Anara is landside next to T3 if i remember correctly. T2 hotel is also landside. I wouldnt stay inside T3 for a long layover, and to be honest, im not even sure does CGK have international transit possibility.
can confirm Anara which is a very decent hotel with a decent breakfast as of 5 days ago. The Jakarta skytrain is currently closed 2100-0600 so recommend staying there if flying into terminal 3. Directions are unclear - the skybridge is from the mezzanine level above arrivals and below departures on the international arrivals side of terminal 3. This is the same skybridge to the terminal 3 international parking garage. Visa on arrival is also easy but the exchange rate sucks so try to bring exactly $35.

If you're hungry after your flight in there is a 24 hour A&W in departures landside at CGK T3 which I stumbled across trying to find a way to the Anara.

If you're going for vacation I highly recommend bandung which is currently a 2:45 train ride from Jakarta but will soon be 40 minutes each way by high speed rail.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Xaroco
SYD is in Area 3 thought right...?

What does gateway mean in the stopover paragraph? I thought gateway was just the last airport departed prior to destination?

08.STOPOVERS
2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH
DIRECTION AT USD 100.00 EACH
CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY.
AT THE GATEWAY IN AREA 3
Stopover in SYD is perfectly allowed on the AA fare.

The gateway means the first transfer point in Area 3 outbound, or the last transfer point in Area 3 inbound. So -TYO-SYD- is not eligible but -LAX-SYD- is.

However, this is a mileage fare and not a routed fare, so you will get HIP checked and you will not like the resulting price. People stopping over in Japan are using the JL fare, which exempts Japan from HIP checks.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by WarringDanimal
can confirm Anara which is a very decent hotel with a decent breakfast as of 5 days ago. The Jakarta skytrain is currently closed 2100-0600 so recommend staying there if flying into terminal 3. Directions are unclear - the skybridge is from the mezzanine level above arrivals and below departures on the international arrivals side of terminal 3. This is the same skybridge to the terminal 3 international parking garage. Visa on arrival is also easy but the exchange rate sucks so try to bring exactly $35.

If you're hungry after your flight in there is a 24 hour A&W in departures landside at CGK T3 which I stumbled across trying to find a way to the Anara.

If you're going for vacation I highly recommend bandung which is currently a 2:45 train ride from Jakarta but will soon be 40 minutes each way by high speed rail.
Can't you pay VoA via cc?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by findark

The gateway means the first transfer point in Area 3 outbound, or the last transfer point in Area 3 inbound. So -TYO-SYD- is not eligible but -LAX-SYD- is.

However, this is a mileage fare and not a routed fare, so you will get HIP checked and you will not like the resulting price. People stopping over in Japan are using the JL fare, which exempts Japan from HIP checks.
Thank you, much appreciated. If I wasn't as fussed about the miles/accrual, and I just took the shortest mileage route (JFK-LAX-SYD-CGK) would the 'HIP check' (I still don't understand this concept completely, apologies!) be any lower? Would it still come under the RLE08FN2 class fare with the 12078 MPM?

JFK-LAX-SYD-CGK is 13391 miles - 2000 for the LAX discount....?

Thanks!

Last edited by Xaroco; Aug 31, 2022 at 10:36 am
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Xaroco
Thank you, much appreciated. If I wasn't as fussed about the miles/accrual, and I just took the shortest mileage route (JFK-LAX-SYD-CGK) would the 'HIP check' (I still don't understand this concept completely, apologies!) be any lower? Would it still come under the RLE08FN2 class fare with the 12078 MPM?

JFK-LAX-SYD-CGK is 13391 miles - 2000 for the LAX discount....?

Thanks!
JFK-LAX-SYG-CGK is fine for MPM as you note: 13,391 flown miles minus 2,000 for the LAX deduction and you are under MPM. This will price normally as long as there is no stopover in SYD (maximum transit time 24h00).

The HIP check comes into play if there is a stopover. If you add a stopover to a mileage (non-routed) fare, the fare component with the embedded stopover will reprice to the highest of itself, the origin-to-stopover fare, or the stopover-to-destination fare. So if you add a stopover to SYD, the price for RLE08MN2 is adjusted to the highest of:

RLE08MN2, JFK to CGK ($1,125)
INXQFVN1, JFK to SYD ($4,461)
and I believe since AA does not publish fares on SYD-CGK, that comparison is dropped
Quail, Kris_Chari, ubiest and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:40 am

JFK-LAX-SYG-CGK is fine for MPM as you note: 13,391 flown miles minus 2,000 for the LAX deduction and you are under MPM. This will price normally as long as there is no stopover in SYD (maximum transit time 24h00).

The HIP check comes into play if there is a stopover. If you add a stopover to a mileage (non-routed) fare, the fare component with the embedded stopover will reprice to the highest of itself, the origin-to-stopover fare, or the stopover-to-destination fare. So if you add a stopover to SYD, the price for RLE08MN2 is adjusted to the highest of:

RLE08MN2, JFK to CGK ($1,125)
INXQFVN1, JFK to SYD ($4,461)
and I believe since AA does not publish fares on SYD-CGK, that comparison is dropped

Thank you very much for the explanation!
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:53 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

stopover in japan works on AA fare too - i booked a few for fellow forum members, there are HIP exceptions.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Hey all,

Got a question for folks who’ve used this deal to get to other countries in SE Asia. Say if I book this jfk-cgk as a round trip and then book a separate cgk-Bkk r/t ticket, would I need to get an Indonesian VOA both on the outbound and inbound? Or is there a transit visa or something of the like? Tbh I just don’t have enough passport pages for two more full page VOA’s that the indo govt have been doing post-COVID. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:11 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fender5787
Hey all,

Got a question for folks who’ve used this deal to get to other countries in SE Asia. Say if I book this jfk-cgk as a round trip and then book a separate cgk-Bkk r/t ticket, would I need to get an Indonesian VOA both on the outbound and inbound? Or is there a transit visa or something of the like? Tbh I just don’t have enough passport pages for two more full page VOA’s that the indo govt have been doing post-COVID. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Indonesia is visa free for up to 30 day stay wiith US/EU/ASEAN passports, so you just get a small stamp - you dont need to get visa in advance or on arrival.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Indonesia is visa free for up to 30 day stay wiith US/EU/ASEAN passports, so you just get a small stamp - you dont need to get visa in advance or on arrival.
I was in indo earlier in august and as a U.S. citizen I needed a VOA (they changed the regulations post-COVID). I’m just curious mostly if there’s a separate 24 hour transit visa or if the VOA can be multiple entry
Cthunder86 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.